West Yellowstone, MT to Pacific City, OR

8amps

We'll be leaving West Yellowstone next week going to Oregon coast. We could go via Boise and Portland (which we've done before) or Missoula, Coeur d'alene, only a few miles more. Some of course will depends on the weather. Familiar with 84 since we've gone that way before. Thoughts, recommendations, tips for i-90? (Or 84, for that matter. Always like to hear first hand accounts). Thanks!

MCTalley

We travel that stretch of I-90 every year to and from Washington. Campground recommendations include the KOA in Deer Lodge, MT, the campground at the Crystal Gold Mine in Kellogg, Idaho or the Wolf Lodge Campground outside of Coeur D'Alene. I-90 is a pretty easy drive through the mountains of west Montana and Idaho. I think the highest passes are in the 8,000 foot range. Scenery is pretty stunning along the way.

One side trip we've looked at is getting off I-90 at Anaconda and traveling Montana 1 to Philipsburg. Heard that it is a pretty neat town.

Not sure if you're going all the way to Seattle then south on I-5 or not. Watch weather and construction in the area of Snoqualmie Pass east of Seattle.

Gaffer

If you want to avoid all the traffic in and around Seattle and Portland, take the 84 to the Oregon border then hwy 20 through Bend. Very nice RV park in Caldwell Idaho (Ambassador). Where are you going from Pacific City?

dewwood

I agree with Gaffer, US 20 leaves West Yellowstone and goes clear to the coast. It junctions with I84 across Idaho but it is a nice drive. We did it last year and enjoyed the trip. There is one stretch of US20 on the west side of the Cascades that is pretty curvy but not a big problem. You might check out Craters of the Moon National Monument it is very interesting.

8amps

Are you planning to stop for a night along the way or drive straight through?

Yes definitely stops along the way. Could be a couple days per stop if the mood strikes us. We have about 10 days to make the trip.

- - - Updated - - -

If you want to avoid all the traffic in and around Seattle and Portland, take the 84 to the Oregon border then hwy 20 through Bend. Very nice RV park in Caldwell Idaho (Ambassador). Where are you going from Pacific City?

From Pacific City, we'll be heading south (again weather dependent) down 5 to Crater Lake, south through Mt. Shasta to Yosemite (again can have 7-10 days to make trip). We did the coastal route last year and loved it but try to vary our scenery.

Would like to detour up through Glacier NP but not sure if the weather will cooperate on that one. So trying to have a couple alternatives. As for Seattle, if we don't stop elsewhere, we could go in there for a couple of days. Though we have been before, I'm sure there's loads we haven't done or seen.

MTPockets

Craters of the Moon is a nice stopover; we've stayed n their campground; and Crater Lake is Awsome..

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
2nd Craters of the moon. We stayed at the KOA Really nice owners. They had just bought it the month before we were there. Bought it site-un-seen and were planning many up-grades. Be nice to know how they're doing.

Gaffer

From Pacific City you can go south on 101 to Florence then east towards Eugene where you can hit the 58 off of I-5. 58 will take you past Oakridge where you must check out Casey's Riverfront RV Park. Then stay east on 58 to 97 and south to Crater lake. 97 south from Crater Lake will take you to I-5 at Weed bypassing the climb from Ashland to Yreka.
101 south to Winchester Bay where there is a great park at the Marina then east on 38 from Reedsport to I-5 on a very scenic drive along the river. South to Canyonville for a stay at 7 Feathers. Then east to Crater Lake on 138. 138 is a little twisty but very doable.
Yes definitely stops along the way. Could be a couple days per stop if the mood strikes us. We have about 10 days to make the trip.

- - - Updated - - -

From Pacific City, we'll be heading south (again weather dependent) down 5 to Crater Lake, south through Mt. Shasta to Yosemite (again can have 7-10 days to make trip). We did the coastal route last year and loved it but try to vary our scenery.

Would like to detour up through Glacier NP but not sure if the weather will cooperate on that one. So trying to have a couple alternatives. As for Seattle, if we don't stop elsewhere, we could go in there for a couple of days. Though we have been before, I'm sure there's loads we haven't done or seen.

LBR

Each time we travel to St Anthony's Idaho from Florence Oregon, we travel the Eugene, Bend, John Day, Ontario, Boise, Mountain Home, Hwy 20 route to get on East side of Idaho.