Wet bolt question

Bobby A

Question for all you suspension gurus, I had center point suspension and wet bolts done by Lippert at one of the Rallys in Goshen, I think it was 2013. I hit the zerk fittings once or twice a year with a little grease. I have 7K axle and 8K springs. I have put on several thousand miles since. Should I have these wet bolts re done again?? I have not had them looked at since the install. I just don't want to have any problems. I think at the time they were using brass inserts on the wet bolts but not sure on that. Any help on this would be appreciated.

david-steph2018

In June 2019 we had the wet bolts installed during the rally. Then in October 2020 we replaced the system with the MorRyde IS. In that 17 months' time span, the brass bushings looked fine. I would think as long as the grease can go thru the bolts it would be okay but check the bushings to see if these are still in good condition.

SLO

Gut feeling. After 9years, replace wet bolts and brass bushing. When we had MorRyde IS installed I looked at wet bolts we installed about three years earlier. There was some noticeable wear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dahillbilly

I'm a DIY guy & after that time frame I would check them go from what I find. Grease is the cheapest maintenance item you can use

Bobby A

Thank you all for your input, I used to go to Lippert every year and have my brake and axle work done and they would lube the wet bolts. I cant seem to find a good number for Lippert anymore, its like a wild goose chase to get service done at the College ave location in Goshen. If anyone know of a good number please pass it on. I went to a frame shop down the street from my campground and asked them if they can install wet bolts and they said yes. I am just wondering if I should order the exact same wet bolt kit and take it to the frame shop or let them install what they have in stock ?? Appreciate any advice,

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would at least ask what it is they have in stock. The Lippert brand uses a heavy duty shackle. Standard shackles are much thinner. I think it's 1/2" vs 1/4" thick.

Peace
Dave

Bobby A

I figured I would circle back and give you the latest info. I called Lippert and they have a re build kit, actually its called centerpoint install kit part # 293057. Its got all the parts that are already on my coach, so it will be a remove and replace with exact parts. I figured that would be the safesty way to go to make sure I am getting the exact install parts. Lippert did not have the kit in stock but I found it on line for considerably cheaper. Thank you all for your input and opinions, it was very helpful.
Thanks again,
Bobby

Bobby A

I picked up the kit yesterday and its everything that I need to R&R my wet bolts with exact parts that Lippert installed on my rig 10 years ago. I have a frame shop near me to do the work in a couple weeks. I can't seem to get a hold of Lippert in Goshen, I'm sure they don't need my business, but it would be nice to at least get a call back.

Bobby A

UPDATE
I finally was able to get my rig into the frame shop yesterday to R and R the wet bolts and brass bushings. Well I am so glad I did, I had the guys give me back the old parts for my review. The shackles and wet bolts were fine but the brass bushings not so much. Everyone of them were either cracked or split or completely worn out into pieces. I have several thousand miles on this unit and the wet bolts are ten years old. Also, they found on the two cross members the welds were broke so I had them re weld them back in place. Lippert installed these cross members years ago because there was reports of frame flex. Anyways, I figured I would pass along this information, for anyone that wants to check the torque on the wet bolt nuts I called Lippert and they said the torque is 30 to 40 foot pounds.

Bobby A

My bad pal, bronze bushings. I would grease them once or twice a year, however, It appears that for the grease to get all the way in, its best to have the wheels off the ground. My point is just to share my findings to make people aware that its not a fix it and forget it issue.
Just a note. There are no brass bushings used on trailer suspensions. They are Bronze bushings.