what are freshwater tanks made of?

dougw

Hi

I finally found a local company that can spin weld on some new freshwater tank fitting. However they can only do "poly Etheline" tanks and not pvc and such. Any idea what the heartland tanks are made out of?

thanks
doug

lwmcguir

They are poly and are NSF rated. All potable tanks need to be NSF as well as all the fittings, pex and so on that will be in contact with the potable water. Poly Vinly Chloride isnt safe for drinking water in most cases.

lwmcguir

Exactly, should have made it more clear. PVC can have the NSF stamp and is used in many water distribution systems, large and small. Just not used in many tanks now as it dont flex as well as Polyethlene. Good catch.

Manke3010

dougw,
What city is this place located? You're in Socal, right?
Are you going to have this new fitting put on so you can have a true low point drain mounted on the bottom of both fresh water tanks and drain them completely?
Is this also to obtain full 100% draw of the fresh water as well or no?

Thanks!

dougw

Yes on all questions (G). As in my post on the other thread, I'm in the middle of my own fix. I am located in s. cal and found a place to do the work in ontario but they said they could only work on the "poly Etheline" type tanks. The tank needs to be removed though from the trailer and since mine are now free and can come out I thought this was a less expensive alternative to a bulkhead fitting.

http://www.incaplastics.com/rvtanks.htm

Doug