What happened to the Big Horn smaller floorplans

tkkmcjo

Former Heartland Greystone 5er owner, then bought a Keystone 5er, now want to come back to the Heartland Family!

I'm looking to purchase in 2019 and I've been very interested in the smaller Big Horn models such as the 3110RE or the 3270RS. (not interested in the 3160 EL...gotta have my king bed)! Anyway, the appeal is easy:Big Horn full time rated construction, suspension and great features (I especially like new freshwater drinking water system). I'm especially attracted to the 9right around) 35' and under size for ease of towing and campground manageability, and weights that stay within my diesel tow vehicle's capabilities. Problem is, they have removed the 3110RE and the 3270RS from the brochure and website.

:confused: Is Heartland abandoning these smaller Big Horn models? it appears the line now starts with the 3160 Elite at 36'5" and over 12K shipping weight. I do like the BH Traveler 32 RS but even that rig is pushing 36 feet... (and no fresh drinking water system):(...

I have always wanted a Big Horn. Seems I may have waited too long. Can anyone from Heartland tell me if they will come out with any new (around) 35 and under and 12K or less dry weight floor plans like the 3110EL or 3270 RS?

Hoping for good news! Thanks! TJones

CoveredWagon

Former Heartland Greystone 5er owner, then bought a Keystone 5er, now want to come back to the Heartland Family!

I'm looking to purchase in 2019 and I've been very interested in the smaller Big Horn models such as the 3110RE or the 3270RS. (not interested in the 3160 EL...gotta have my king bed)! Anyway, the appeal is easy:Big Horn full time rated construction, suspension and great features (I especially like new freshwater drinking water system). I'm especially attracted to the 9right around) 35' and under size for ease of towing and campground manageability, and weights that stay within my diesel tow vehicle's capabilities. Problem is, they have removed the 3110RE and the 3270RS from the brochure and website.

:confused: Is Heartland abandoning these smaller Big Horn models? it appears the line now starts with the 3160 Elite at 36'5" and over 12K shipping weight. I do like the BH Traveler 32 RS but even that rig is pushing 36 feet... (and no fresh drinking water system):(...

I have always wanted a Big Horn. Seems I may have waited too long. Can anyone from Heartland tell me if they will come out with any new (around) 35 and under and 12K or less dry weight floor plans like the 3110EL or 3270 RS?

Hoping for good news! Thanks! TJones

Dont know about the new models, but our 3270 RS is just over 35 ft (35’2” I think)and weighs in empty at just over 12k. We felt the same about the king size bed, and chose the 3270 over the 3910 as we didn’t like the idea of sitting sideways to watch tv.

donr827

I had a 3055. They replaced it several years ago. It was the perfect size for us. It had the rear living room which I like and a king size bed. The trend seems to be longer.
Don

CoveredWagon

Dont know about the new models, but our 3270 RS is just over 35 ft (35’2” I think)and weighs in empty at just over 12k. We felt the same about the king size bed, and chose the 3270 over the 3910 as we didn’t like the idea of sitting sideways to watch tv.

WOW looks like they are gone. What a shame. It’s all about marketing and business I guess. We’ve been at several Heartland rallys and I can’t tell you how many couples have looked at our “Little Bighorn” (3270) and said this is more like it. You’ve got everything you need. Sure it’s not a 365 Rv, but if you don’t want to live full time and don’t want to live in Alaska it’s just the ticket for a couple and a small dog or two. If it’s ease, comfortable living,and summer travel the smaller units are great.

T

TomMontague

Sorry for the long absence on the forum, I’ve been reading but haven’t responded in a while.

We haven’t abandoned smaller floor plans - but I will say the larger floor plans WAY outsell the shorter ones. The 3270RS has been a great floor plan for a long time. It still is, it just got a few inches longer so we could add the Mor-Ryde secure step.

We should have one more floor plan coming within the next 90 days in the 35-37 foot range.

Hopefully everyone likes the new updates. The OneControl system has been an early favorite as more product hits dealer lots.

Any additional questions please let me know.

Talk soon
Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Well FWIW like many things those MorRyde steps fall into the “either like or not” category.
For us it’s the not so much. I can say that we’d leave them behind at the dealer and replaced with our Glow Steps.

rhodies1

Tom,you need to make regular steps an option versus only Moryde steps,currently I cannot be in the market to upgrade my 5 th wheel because I personally hate the new steps.

T

TomMontague

Tom,you need to make regular steps an option versus only Moryde steps,currently I cannot be in the market to upgrade my 5 th wheel because I personally hate the new steps.

I appreciate your opinion and I’m sorry to hear you don’t like the step. I can tell you we were the last manufacturer and brand to make the switch. The entire industry all the way down to entry level stick and tin is using the step. The step manufacturers have made it attractive to buy the new step and salty to buy the old. We will not be offering two because the skirt metal and frame have been completely changed.

The good news - there are plenty of current Bighorns in the market with the old step if you are close to upgrading. :)

Talk soon
Tom

jnbhobe

That will stop me from upgrading. At my camp I back next to a 8 X 22 platform. I would not be able to put the steps down.

T

TomMontague

That will stop me from upgrading. At my camp I back next to a 8 X 22 platform. I would not be able to put the steps down.

Sounds like you wouldn’t be able to use either step since you have a patio. The Mor-Ryde steps can be easily removed.

Have a great evening.

Talk soon
Tom

jnbhobe

Sounds like you wouldn’t be able to use either step since you have a patio. The Mor-Ryde steps can be easily removed.

Have a great evening.

Talk soon
Tom

But then when traveling you have no steps !! I'm not going to install and remove every other week.

NYSUPstater

Although is is the BH section, we bought a '18 BC 3560 SS last year that comes in at 41'. Came out of a 35' 5er. Personally, we love the extra room. PLUS when we had the 35 footer, we had 2 kids. Now it's just the 2 of us.......go figure!! LOL.Don't stay much in way of SP or NP, so length so far is a non issue.

In regards to the steps, why can't mfr's offer the Glow Steps as an option? Why be like everyone else in making the Mor-Ryde steps standard? I wish the whole RV water filter set up was avail at time ours was made, but we've gotten use to adding or using the in-line filter at the UDC.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
When we are ready to upgrade we will be looking at rigs shorter than 38 feet. Our current rig is 40 foot and it is nice to have all the room but I am tired of manipulating this beast. I want something shorter and possibly a little lighter. We do like the BH 3270 but wish it had a larger dresser. I really like our current dresser setup in our Augusta. I'd also like to see some shorter rigs with rear steps into the bedroom, but not if it forces the water heater and/or furnace to the door side of the unit. I've never liked seeing these items on the doorside.
Mark

CoveredWagon

Sorry for the long absence on the forum, I’ve been reading but haven’t responded in a while.

We haven’t abandoned smaller floor plans - but I will say the larger floor plans WAY outsell the shorter ones. The 3270RS has been a great floor plan for a long time. It still is, it just got a few inches longer so we could add the Mor-Ryde secure step.

We should have one more floor plan coming within the next 90 days in the 35-37 foot range.

Hopefully everyone likes the new updates. The OneControl system has been an early favorite as more product hits dealer lots.

Any additional questions please let me know.

Talk soon
Tom

Believe me Tom when I say NOT everyone likes the Mor-Ryde steps. I personally know several who have said those steps would be a deal breaker, including us. I also know many who love them and some who actually need them, but maybe they should be on option, rather than std. BTW we absolutely love our 2018 3270. At several of the rallys several folks wanted to see our “little Bighorn” as they were interested in something a little smaller than they had. Most of these folks have had their larger units for a few years and said they were considering buying something new.

- - - Updated - - -

I appreciate your opinion and I’m sorry to hear you don’t like the step. I can tell you we were the last manufacturer and brand to make the switch. The entire industry all the way down to entry level stick and tin is using the step. The step manufacturers have made it attractive to buy the new step and salty to buy the old. We will not be offering two because the skirt metal and frame have been completely changed.

The good news - there are plenty of current Bighorns in the market with the old step if you are close to upgrading. :)

Talk soon
Tom

as an FYI Tom when we toured a SOB. Factory a few years ago they were leaving the frame the same and just covering the pocket with the J wrap incase so I guess it is possible. Might want to see how the new step fly.

T

TomMontague

The frames have already been designed without the hangers. I understand some people aren’t excited about the step but more people are than aren’t.
The rest of the industry ( and our major competitor ) went to this step almost two years ago and their sales haven’t slowed down a bit.

MTPockets

I had a 3055. They replaced it several years ago. It was the perfect size for us. It had the rear living room which I like and a king size bed. The trend seems to be longer.
Don
Yep, we loved our 3055; Full timed almost 5 yrs.. great size & great use of space !! Too bad they dropped it.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Looks like you replaced the 3270 with the 3370. I like the pocket door on the bathroom. Would you consider changing the barn door slider (bedroom entry) to a pocket door?

- - - Updated - - -

Tom,
Would you also consider changing the dresser and window in the 3370 to be more like the 3160elite?

Last edited:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
While I am not considering upgrading anytime soon, those Mor-Ryde steps would be a deal breaker for me, too!

As an example, where I have my Prowler parked out in the storage lot at the RV resort where I live in Yuma, AZ, I had to go get something out of it the other day and as the snowbirds are now arriving from Canada and the nawth :)rolleyes:), one of them parked their motorhome so close that I had to pull my GlowSteps out and use them like a ladder instead of steps.

No way could I have ever flipped those Mor-Ryde steps all the way down or out of the way to get in the entrance door, but at least with the GlowSteps, I still had access to the inside!

Plus, when I moved the rest of my stuff from my storage unit in Denver a couple of months back, it was a lot easier to just grab the GlowSteps and push them out of the way when I had a big box or a piece of furniture that I could just lift up and set it on the floor inside instead of trying to climb the steps with the heavy loads...which was much easier on my aching back.

Anyway, I know a lot of people that love the Mor-Ryde steps...but I know a lot more people that adore the GlowSteps!

CoveredWagon

The frames have already been designed without the hangers. I understand some people aren’t excited about the step but more people are than aren’t.
The rest of the industry ( and our major competitor ) went to this step almost two years ago and their sales haven’t slowed down a bit.

yep and that’s a major reason we bought a Bighorn

mlpeloquin

Glow steps. Would not be without them. We stop at a lot of rest stops with other RV's and a lot of big rigs. Could not more often then not deploy the Mor-Ryde steps. I have seen a couple of times a couple that could not get access because a truck was so close. They had to wait until the truck pulled out. Not for us.