What is being done about Towmax Tires

GOTTOYS

I thought the Nitrogen was a gimmick also until two years ago. My dodge ram has electronic pressure monitoring. Here in Georgia the road get very hot, so I I inflated my truck tires with regular air on one side and nitrogen on the other. Drove around all weekend and notice the air inflated tires increased in pressure almost 8 to 10 lbs over the nitrogen tires on each trip. Have any of you tried the Carlisle 12 ply for RVs yet????
Is it possible the side with the pressure increase was the side that was in the Sun? I don't think anyone else with Nitrogen in their tires has had the same experience with their truck or trailer...Don

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Is it possible the side with the pressure increase was the side that was in the Sun? I don't think anyone else with Nitrogen in their tires has had the same experience with their truck or trailer...Don

My experience with nitrogen was that the tire pressure still went up . . . but only about half of what they did with plain old air.

The claim for nitrogen is that it doesn't cause moisture inside of the tire . . . thus not rusting out the wheel.

At least that is what the tire shop told me . . .

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Since most wheels are aluminum now days I don't think rust will be an issue.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MTPockets

The greatest benefit about putting nitrogen in the tires is the people selling nitrogen for the tires.

wdk450

My experience with nitrogen was that the tire pressure still went up . . . but only about half of what they did with plain old air.

The claim for nitrogen is that it doesn't cause moisture inside of the tire . . . thus not rusting out the wheel.

At least that is what the tire shop told me . . .

John and All:
I found this (what seems to me) pretty intelligent and level-headed look at the nitrogen in tires subject on the Tire Rack.com website:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...tires&ef_id=VftaeAAABb0zuqTH:20151109183339:s

brw549

OK enough hot air has been generated about nitrogen...has anyone tried the Carlisle ST 12 ply tires ? If so your thoughts on that...

buddyboy

OK enough hot air has been generated about nitrogen...has anyone tried the Carlisle ST 12 ply tires ? If so your thoughts on that...

A person who sells tires (and who knew that we were asking for advice only) told us "12 ply is 12 ply. The big trailers should have 14 ply at least." Just passing on what we were told.

wdk450

The best monitoring system? Txt flow through??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about going to the Forum Areas and STARTING A NEW THREAD WHEN BRINGING UP A NEW TOPIC??? This thread has been through about 4 topics now. Starting new threads for new topics enables people skimming the forum new posts to read on topics they are interested in, and skip those they are not interested in. Also, it really helps when doing a forum search for information by thread title.

Got my Gateway 3200 last month with Towmax tires. Talked to a tire person and he said that the RV manufacturers were putting tires on the trailers which were maxing out the tires and these ST's should be replaced with LT's on the heavier rigs such as mine. He said that the Towmax tires would have probably been fine on a lighter rig. I followed his advise and went from Towmax 235 by 16 to Sailun 215 by 17.5 (almost same diameter) which are 16 ply tires and will stand up to the weight, speed, and heat. I also had to replace the wheels which were rated for 110psi and got new ones which were rated for 200psi. Cost me some money but I will not have to pay for damages (or personal injury) to my 5th wheeler due to Towmax tires blowing out. Cheaper in the long run.

Kam0923

We had 3 tires blow out on our last trip. 2015 Cyclone with less than 8000 miles. Blew the fender off and bent a lot of metal. Question- what tire without changing the wheels? Not happy campers!

You will end up spending some money on tires and wheels. You can change out the tires and go with Goodyear 614's but I just changed to 17.5 inch wheels and Sailun tires which carry a load of over 4800lbs each tire and inflated to 125lbs. each. This will solve your problem! No more blow outs! Period! Cost is about the same as the Goodyears without (16 inch wheels) wheels. I did the homework and I advise you to do the same. You will agree after you do the homework. I saved the "BlowMax tires" and wheels and will put them on my 22ft. bay boat trailer (about 4500lbs. total). They will work there.

Bones

You will end up spending some money on tires and wheels. You can change out the tires and go with Goodyear 614's but I just changed to 17.5 inch wheels and Sailun tires which carry a load of over 4800lbs each tire and inflated to 125lbs. each. This will solve your problem! No more blow outs! Period! Cost is about the same as the Goodyears without (16 inch wheels) wheels. I did the homework and I advise you to do the same. You will agree after you do the homework. I saved the "BlowMax tires" and wheels and will put them on my 22ft. bay boat trailer (about 4500lbs. total). They will work there.
Who did you buy your tire and wheel combo from?

Kam0923

Question - the Goodyear G614 LT tires are 235 85 R16 which is 3 inches larger than the ST 235 80 R16. Will they fit? 2015 Cyclone 4200 3 axle. Just want to make sure... Thanks Captain!

jnbhobe

Don't know where you got your info but the Towmax are 31.7 in diameter and GY 614 is 30.7 in. in diameter

I got my tires and wheels from www.trailertiresandwheels.com. I believe that is the web address. In it they list the manufacturers and all the dimensions of tires and wheels which is a good starting point. Then I went to the manufacturer's website and got the dimensions for each tire. I kept mine as close to the original Towmax diameter. I did not have enough clearance between front tire and rear tire on my Gateway to vary the diameters. I also called Trailer Tires and Wheels and got more info from them. Please be careful if you find cheaper prices for the same tires as these may be a few years old and already worn out brand new.