What is the 'correct' protocol for completing travel map?

Fox

When over-laying those colored states on the USA map -

Does one post the states traveled - or is that reserved for only those states actually camped in?

And when trading in an old RV - does the map belong to the RV (as places its been) or transfer with the owner (as places they've been)?

This Question was Fueled by Peach Vodka (pretty good stuff).

Last edited by a moderator:

'Lil Guy'

Re: What is the 'correct' protocol?

I post the states that I've actually camped in. But, some just post by passing thru. The map belongs to you IMO. No one else cares where you've been. I would remove the map and buy a new one to carry on with the new rig I bought or let the new owner do as he or she likes with the existing map. I'm sure others have different thoughts on this subject.

jerryjay11

This question really needed to be asked? Your personalization is just that, yours.

pegmikef

I post the states that I've actually camped in. But, some just post by passing thru. The map belongs to you IMO. No one else cares where you've been. I would remove the map and buy a new one to carry on with the new rig I bought or let the new owner do as he or she likes with the existing map. I'm sure others have different thoughts on this subject.

I do the same as Frank. Our personal map reflects all of the states we have actually camped in, not just the ones the current rig has been in. We also had a German RV when we were stationed in Germany, but I don't have a map to display the places we camped in Europe. I just leave the old map on the rig and buy a new one.

Fox

You Heartland owners are a tough crowd.

I actually 'stole' this discussion from another site I once frequented (HiLo or Jayco); as I recall folks had many ideas, opinions, thoughts on the subject - it lead to interesting readings. Enjoy!

PondSkum

We've decided to only mark the states that we actually camped in. Passing through doesn't count in my mind. And we haven't had to think about what to do with it when we move to a new camper yet.

danemayer

I'm pretty sure I heard Jimtoo explaining this some years back - only states where you've done a head stand go on the map.

Correct me if I'm wrong Jim.

jimtoo

Yes Dan, you are correct.

Headstand for 3.5 minutes in each state while you are camping. I did lots of research on this subject, over 40 rv forums, 49 state registration requirements and interviewed at least 500 rver's and about 100 state police officers for display requirements on outside of rv.

So after all this research I also consulted with 4 attorneys (non rver's) and they all agreed, "Do what you wanna do, cause nobody agrees on it."

My 3 cents.
Jim M