What to bring? What to forget? Tips?

skyguy

I may get accepted for a short term position shortly. May be at Glacier Natl Park for two months.

What items did you forget to take with you? Or wish you had?

What items did you think you had to take and never used?

Thanks!

Al

Lynn1130

From what I saw on the news last night, lots of warm clothes and good boots. They had 16" of snow.

aatauses

We volunteer a lot across the country. along with different kinds of clothing for all sorts of weather---take a POSITIVE attitude and a willingness to help. Remember that all the visitors are your customer and need to be treated accordingly, yes, some may be difficult, but that is the challenge.
You will enjoy volunteering--the rewards are great, we have never had a bad experience
al
currently in Deadwood, SD

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Thought I'd "chime in" since you haven't had much of a response to your questions...
I keep a set of "yaktrax" in my backpack. They are lightweight & don't take up too much space. They are easy to slip over boots when you need them on icy surfaces. They come in different sizes so take the boots you plan on wearing with you when you go to purchase them. There are also different types as well, mine are "PRO" with steel coils. Shadowy areas have a tendency to get icy in warm day-time/freezing night-time areas after a snowfall.
I would also suggest (depending on how far you go &/or how long you will be away from shelter) a NOAA radio. Mine is compact and like the yaktrax doesn't take up much space.
One piece of equipment I have but don't use very much at all: trekking poles. I am one of those people that needs my hands "free" when walking anywhere, especially uneven terrain and they turned out to be more cumbersome and treacherous for me!! They do come in handy when opening the microwave vent on the street side of the Bighorn...Don doesn't have to get out the step-ladder anymore:)
I also keep a chemical night-light in my back pack and a small hand-powered flashlight.
While working/volunteering for Colorado State Parks and Dept of Wildlife for the past 10+ years I've learned that there's all kinds of safety equipment that can &/or should go into your backpack (depending on the season and area) even if you plan on being gone for only a couple of hours and/or you're only going for a few miles... if they "collect dust" that's a good thing:)
Hope this pans out for you...have a great time & keep in touch,
Monica