What to pull our 2011 Bighorn 3610RE with

mnlake

We have our 2011 Bighorn on a seasonal lot in MN. Someday would like to retire and maybe go south for a while in the Winter. What do I need to pull it? Something around the same year. It would be my year round driver. Don't really want a diesel or dually unless I have to. Want a crew cab and probably short box. but don't know what size truck or engine. Please help!

NP_Chief

We pull our 36.5' Torque TT with a V10 Ford Excursion. The Ford V10 can be a bit "thirsty" but pulls the rig with no problem. If you don't want a dually or a diesel, your options are gonna be limited.

cds1

I have a 13 BH 3610 and currently pull it with a Ram 3500 DRW. With that size trailer you really need to look at a 1 ton diesel long bed truck. The truck I started with was a Ford F350 srw, it did the job but I can tell a difference with the dually. Good luck with your truck shopping.

danemayer

Our Landmark Rushmore is the same floor plan as the BH 3610RE. We currently tow it with a 2014 RAM Dually, AISIN transmission. When we first bought the Landmark, we had a 2011 GMC SRW, longbed. It was stable and had good towing power. We were slightly over the payload rating for the GMC. The RAM has payload capacity to spare.

'Lil Guy'

What ever you decide, you need a diesel. Preferably a 1 ton dually. If not, a 1 ton SRW at ehe least. A short bed dually would tow it nicely. You don''t need the long bed. JMO Did I say Ram.

SNOKING

Loaded pin weight will determine if you are "forced" into a dually or can get the job done with a SRW. When we purchased our 2017 BH3575el, we picked a model with a lighter 2435 lbs of dry pin weight. We towed it to Arizona and back from Washington twice with our 2015 RAM 3500 SRW 4x4 Short Box and had trailer and truck loaded heavy as we were full timing in it at the time. We made all our weight numbers.

I do not believe there is a current gas truck rated to tow a trailer your size/weight.

Maybe someone will be along and provide their loaded pin weight for your model.

So as others have said, you need a 350/3500 Diesel, and need more info regarding projected loaded pin weight to determine the number of tires under the back of the TV.

Based on this: https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2011-heartland-bighorn-fifth-wheel-floorplan-bh-3610re-tr2730

That model has a listed lighter 2115 lbs of dry pin weight. So it should be towable with the latest generation SRW 350/3500 trucks. Truck manufactures in the last few years have upped their game with better frames, running gear, and wheels and tires(I prefer the 18" wheels and tires over the 20"). Their tow ratings reflect these improvements.

Chris

kowAlski631

We pull out 2013 3670RL BH with our 2012 Chevy 2500HD Silverado crew cab. It has a 6.6L Duramax turbo diesel and Allison 1000 6 speed automatic transmission. We've gone on 5 coast to coast round trips and many more regional trips with no problems. She's a workhorse.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
For comparison, the dry weight of our 3670 is listed as 2115 on the sticker. We had it weighed at a prior Goshen rally and it came in as 2950. And we had left some of our extra gear at home before driving down. We aren’t full-timers, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregP

We have a 2014 Bighorn 3010RE which we tow with a 2013 RAM 2500HD, crew cab, short box with no problems. We have been weighed and are in fact about 400 lbs over on our pin weight, but well under on gross weight. We do not dry camp, so carry almost no fresh water or black/grey water while on the road. There is no doubt that the dual-wheel larger trucks can carry more weight, but we have never had any issues with control or stability with ours, and like the SRW for ease of movement and parking when not towing. We DO have the Cummins diesel, and I would not have anything other than a diesel for this towing. This RAM has the exhaust brake which I absolutely love, and is not available in gas engines (I think). Even though we have a SRW 2500, if you are planning on extensive, heavy hauling; I would suggest going to a one ton dually to give you "room to grow". Definitely diesel though.

mlpeloquin

We have a 2013 Bighorn 3010RE which we tow with a 2013 GMC Denali 3500 dully. Pin weight 3280lbs. It is really easy to exceed your maximum weight. Don’t get just enough truck, but have some good margin.

pegmikef

I pulled that exact model with an F350 6.7 Diesel dually for over forty thousand miles over all kinds of terrain and had no issues.

mnlake

Loaded pin weight will determine if you are "forced" into a dually or can get the job done with a SRW. When we purchased our 2017 BH3575el, we picked a model with a lighter 2435 lbs of dry pin weight. We towed it to Arizona and back from Washington twice with our 2015 RAM 3500 SRW 4x4 Short Box and had trailer and truck loaded heavy as we were full timing in it at the time. We made all our weight numbers.

I do not believe there is a current gas truck rated to tow a trailer your size/weight.

Maybe someone will be along and provide their loaded pin weight for your model.

So as others have said, you need a 350/3500 Diesel, and need more info regarding projected loaded pin weight to determine the number of tires under the back of the TV.

Based on this: https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2011-heartland-bighorn-fifth-wheel-floorplan-bh-3610re-tr2730

That model has a listed lighter 2115 lbs of dry pin weight. So it should be towable with the latest generation SRW 350/3500 trucks. Truck manufactures in the last few years have upped their game with better frames, running gear, and wheels and tires(I prefer the 18" wheels and tires over the 20"). Their tow ratings reflect these improvements.

Chris

I see the RAM's are kind of the truck of choice!! Don't know if my pocket will let me have one though.

SNOKING

I see the RAM's are kind of the truck of choice!! Don't know if my pocket will let me have one though.

A RAM typically can be had for less than the other two if you do your home work.

Chris

Last edited:

Mrsfish

there is a beautiful Chevy hauler for sale by one of our members...you can see it on the Heartland f@cebook page. Might fit your needs and pocketbook...good luck

vpnman

I'll throw my experience out there - I have a 2018 Big Horn 3160 and started towing with a F250 short bed. While I was within the limits of the trailer weight, I was at capacity on pin weight, and if I had the trailer at full GVWR, I would be over. I towed the camper a few times, and decided that even with the Diesel, I needed more stability and the capacity to be well within the combined GVWR for truck and camper. I have since upgraded to a F350 DRW. That truck is my daily driver, and after a few days, I had no issues with the difference from the 250 to the 350 DRW as a daily driver.

I highly recommend that if you are looking to upgrade your tow vehicle, you consider the 1-ton dual real wheel option. Is it a pain to park some places, sure. Do I feel 100% confident towing my camper pretty much anywhere, absolutely. Don't make the costly mistake that I did, having the F250 for roughly 6 months then buying the F350. Still feeling the pain from that.

kbausano

How do I go to the Heartland facebook page?

We are the members to whom Mrs. Fish referred. :eek: We are selling our 2008 Chevy 3500 HD dually, as we are buying a larger rig. We have towed our 2016 Bighorn 3760EL all over the west through the last 3.5 years and it has been a peach. The truck is gorgeous and was customized by Western Hauler in Ft. Worth, Texas. If you'd like to see pix, please send me your email address and I'll get them to you. Here is a snapshot of features:
* 6.6L Diesel

* Allison Transmission
* LTZ trim package (leather interior, PS, PB, power door locks, power windows, power heated seats, satellite radio)
* Complete towing package up to 16,000 GVW
* Customized wood accented interior with ambient lighting
* Headache rack
* 100 gallon auxiliary fuel tank
* Spray-on bed liner
* CB radio
* Weather tech floor liners
* Dually valve extensions
* Air Dog lift pump
* Brand new tires all the way around
* Amp Research bed step

121,000 miles