Whats The First Thing?

Piperflyer

Should be picking the new 5th wheel up the beginning of next month. What is the first thing I need to be thinking about other than getting on the road with the thing as a full timer?

Rddocatt

Make sure everything is working the way you know it should be. Do not accept delivery until your happy. Turn every knob,pull every drawer,lite everything , tun on everything, pull every sewer connection and crawl underneath the coach. make sure your happy. Ask as many questions, take notes, dont hold back.
Love Rick and Sandy

Piperflyer

Make sure everything is working the way you know it should be. Do not accept delivery until your happy. Turn every knob,pull every drawer,lite everything , tun on everything, pull every sewer connection and crawl underneath the coach. make sure your happy. Ask as many questions, take notes, dont hold back.
Love Rick and Sandy
Rick & Sandy
How do you like that LTZ Duramax, just ordred one

MTPockets

To save down the road problems, re torque wheel lug nuts, pin box bolts, axle u-bolts. Also, crawl into basement and check all the water line nuts for tightness, as well as your under sink drains and water connections. You will find loose connections; then re-check them all after a few hundred miles... After re-checking a few times, you'll find things will stay tight.

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
Start thinking about trimming how much "stuff" you're going to be putting in it. Don't load every drawer/cabinet nook and cranny to the max. Start now accounting for what dishes, clothes, "stuff" you actually use between now and the first of the month. You're going to have to make some tough decisions to full time. Make them based on what you actually use, not what you "think" you're going to need.

Congratulations!

Miltp920

You might ask them to pressurize the water system and make sure the water works. Look in cabinets for leaks. There are alot of connections behind the basement wall where the water connection comes into the rig. Every connection is a possible leak. I have heard about people having their Anderson 4 way valves in wrong. I will say that I did NOT recall them doing this at my walk-through. But it would have been a good idea. I only had a few minor leaks that I could repair. Our hot water heater bypass valve was in bypass so I could not get any hot water initially. Have them show you where the hot water heater bypass valve is and how to check its position. IF the valve handle is in line to the pipe it is open. Perpendicular or opposite pipe direction is closed. You probably already knew that. I was challenged figuring out the antenna - booster - cable - satellite systems. I think that there is a list on this site somewhere with a bunch of stuff for a PDI. Check the tires to make sure they are NOT Towmax. IF they are, I would require them to be replaced - OR - understand that you will likely be paying for replacement tires or blown tire damage within a few years if you keep them on the rig. I did not know about Towmax when I had my PDI. My lug nuts were not all tight when I torqued them at home after my PDI.

MCTalley

Ask your selling dealer if they have on-site hookups and, if so, can you stay a night or two to test everything out (if no on-site hookups, possibly a nearby campground). Tell them that you would like them to prioritize any items you find and fix them (assuming they don't need to order parts, of course) as soon as you do your extended test. Our dealer encouraged us to stay overnight on their lot and sent our sales manager and a tech out first thing the next morning to take care of anything further we found in our overnight inspection.

Not sure at what stage of full-timing you are (since you mentioned ordering a truck, I would assume first time). If you are not yet to the phase where you have already gotten rid of most of your stuff, I would highly suggest living full-time in your unit near your home for a month or more. Bring stuff out to the trailer you think you will need and make it a point to seriously decide what you can do without. Take that stuff back to the house (or storage unit, or Goodwill, whatever). We lived in ours for four months near our home and by the time we hit the road we weren't spending countless stops buying things at stores because we didn't think we'd need them.

phix

On the business end of all......You will need a state of residency for taxes and insurance. Your insurance may have to be in the same state as your drivers license. Chose wisely. Also your insurer needs to know you are full time.

Make sure you do not have tow max tires when you pick up the unit. If you do, get them swapped out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk