What's this tool used for?

Bronna

PXL_20220906_203519150.jpg
We just bought a 2022 IDM210RB Mallard. This tool was in the Heartland owners manual bag that came with the trailer. The tool is new, never used so I believe it's in the bag intentionally. It's made to chuck up in a drill on one end and the other end is a square drive. But it's one size bigger than the common trailer hardware square drive size. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Bruce

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You are correct in that one end fits in a drill. The other end will go into the motor of the slideout for retraction in case there is an electrical failure.
There may be a seal over the hole in the end of the motor.

Peace
Dave

Bronna

Thanks Dave. I'm having difficulty finding the location of the slide out motor in our Mallard. The slide out is a cable, chain and pulley system that moves on rollers. (I think). Thanks for any information on the system and the location of the motor. I'm just trying to plan ahead in case the motor was to fail.
Thanks again,
Bruce

thewanderingeight

The motors for those types of slides are usually located above the slide right in the middle. They can be seen best while the slide is in. If you ever have to actually get to the motor, you will need to pull off some of the trim. They are also occasionally located under the slide, which might be a bit trickier to put your eyes on.

You may want to consider picking up a cable repair kit, as the cables have been known to break. It’s a pretty straight forward repair, but the repair kit can be tough to find locally in a pinch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bronna

Exactly right. I looked for the motor with the slide in. It was above and in the middle, offset about 6" to the back of the trailer.
There was no plug to remove from the motor. The square drive recepticle was easy to see. But you're right, more than likely the upper trim (facia) will need to be removed. Don't know how I would do that without damaging the trim.
Main thing though is that I now know what the tool is for, also where to use it should that situation arise.
Thanks for everyone's help. Really appreciated.

LBR

That flex-driver is also used for any trailers that have hydraulic slides and levelers. It allows one to spin the hydraulic pump quickly to manually operate those components if necessary. Generally, the pump is located such where a straight-in shot with a drill won't work....thus the flex shaft to fit in the tight area.

cipwood

Thanks Dave. I did notice that one end requires a square drive, perhaps do you know the square drive size, i.e. #1,2,3 It will help me avoid removing trim to get the size.

Thanks Mike

Bronna

It's a #3 square drive end. You might want to search "BAL Accu-Slide" tools for the flex drive. I'm pretty sure BAL sells it online as well.

centerline

the tool is a common flexible bit driver extension.... it is a handy tool to have if you are a DIY'er who even has to work with screws in a tight area....

the square drive bits and the extension can be purchased anywhere regular bits are sold.... home depot, lowes, hardware and RV stores ect... and typically there are 3 common sizes that you may encounter, of which the #2 size is the most common to fit rv hardware.....