What's this wire?

watchthebox

I'm in the process of upgrading my Cyclone 3010 with new batteries, inverter, and solar. Before I start disconnecting and rewiring things, I want to make sure I understand everything first.

Does anyone know what the red wire at which I'm pointing is? It appears to be always "hot", as it is connected to the same post the positive cable from the battery is on upstream of the switch.

cyclone switch.jpg

jbeletti

It is most likely the break-away switch circuit that powers the brake (full-on) when the plunger is removed from the switch.

Jim

jnbhobe

That could be Jim, looks like a breaker on the line thou,no breaker on the breakaway

watchthebox

It does have a breaker, like you observed. As far as I can tell, it's the only load that's always hot, that is, the only load not affected by the switch.

jnbhobe

I'd just keep checking to find out what still works with the batteries off. Maybe the front jacks?

watchthebox

As I recall, the front jacks don't work when the power switch is off, so I doubt it's the wire to them.

You can test the break-away system by pulling out the device on the pin-box, right? Would there be any recognizable noise or indication that it was working on a parked, chocked RV? Maybe I'll try that.

Thanks for the ideas!

jnbhobe

Buy a 12v probe with a light, they are cheap, Every RV owner should have one. Then it is easy to check for 12v power. Just hook up the clip to ground and whatever wire or connection you touch or probe will light if there is power

jbeletti

...You can test the break-away system by pulling out the device on the pin-box, right? Would there be any recognizable noise or indication that it was working on a parked, chocked RV?...

The switch box will get very warm to the touch - so that would be one indication that there is power to that circuit. Try not to leave the plunger out very long.

jbeletti

I used a lifeline and "phoned a friend". Here is what I learned for CY, LM and BH:

The red wire in question, taps off the RV "battery side" of the mini-breaker and runs to the 4x4 j-box at the hitch and ties to the orange/black wire from the breakaway switch.

The line with the mini-breaker in it, is the HOT feed from the truck (pin 4 / black in the 7-wire harness). The mini-breaker protects that truck circuit.

Hope this is right. Let the forum know what you find.

Jim