Wheel Bearings and Seals

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I'm bringing the rig home next week to service bearings and brakes.
I have 6000# Dexter axles and was trying to figure out which seals I need from the Dexter site. I'm hoping they aren't the $70+ ones!
Does anyone know a brand and part number and if they are easily available from somewhere like Carquest, etc?
Thanks for helping my lazy self :cool:

dbbls59

I just bought some for my 7000 lb. Dexter axle and they cost about $3.00 each. Bought them at a utility trailer company.

scottyb

NWilson, do your Dexter axles have EZLube bearings or standard? Mine has the EZLube and I have the build list from when the axles were ordered for my rig, which includes part numbers.

NWILSON

Don, that's what I'm hoping to find for mine!
Ted, Thanks for the chart. I'll print it and highlight the ones for my rig (when I find out which ones I need)
Scottyb, I do have the EZLube axles with the removable rubber plug in the hub.

Last edited:

scottyb

Here's the order for my axles. Maybe this will help.

Attachments

• Dexter Axle Configuration.pdf
    94.3 KB · Views: 57

NWILSON

Scottyb, Thank you again!
I'm shopping for seals and find them at 2 for $3.90 from an online trailer supply and then I see the major brands running over $20 each. hmmmmm
Same thing for bearings. A set of front and rear bearings, races and seal is $18.20 but name brand bearings run $15-20 with races in the $11-13 range.
Has anyone noticed what brand Dexter is using?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've used CR seals since the first time I serviced the bearings. Yup, more expensive. Are they worth it? Not sure. I've used nothing but CR seals on every application I've ever replaced a seal on. I worked for CR in Elgin, IL back in the mid 60's. The frame of the seal is at least twice as strong as the OEM's and it's a full frame seal. Very strong.
I'm using CR#22558

57chevyconvt

I agree with Ray, the CR seals are one of the best. Have used and specified them whenever they were available. Some of the trailer axle seals that are on the market today are, in my mind, not of sufficient quality to last the duration between the repack jobs. Most of the OEM seals that I replaced with CR seals just were not doing the intended job of keeping out the very fine grit and grime that collects around the axle at this location.

NWILSON

I've used CR seals since the first time I serviced the bearings. Yup, more expensive. Are they worth it? Not sure. I've used nothing but CR seals on every application I've ever replaced a seal on. I worked for CR in Elgin, IL back in the mid 60's. The frame of the seal is at least twice as strong as the OEM's and it's a full frame seal. Very strong.
I'm using CR#22558
Ray,
Do you know the difference between the 22532 and 22558? The cross reference (in Ted's link below) calls for the 22532. It appears they are the same dimensionally as the 22558. Just wondering

TedS

CR22532 has a non-contacting outer lip
CR22558 has no non-contacting outer lip
Taken from skf industrial seal catalog

CR22532 might be better at keeping dirt from getting in from the outside with that outer lip.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
CR22532 has a non-contacting outer lip
CR22558 has no non-contacting outer lip
Taken from skf industrial seal catalog

CR22532 might be better at keeping dirt from getting in from the outside with that outer lip.
Ted, thanks for that info. I never knew that.

NWILSON

Have the original equipment bearings held up ok?
With 3 axles a complete bearing/race and seal replacement could cut into the beer fund significantly!