Wheel Broke Off on Big Horn 3670RL

Ornofrk

I was driving back to Virginia from Florida last week on I-85 in NC at 65 mph. A truck driver honked his horn at me as he drove up beside me and pointed to my 5th wheel's back tire. As I slowed and pulled off the interstate, my Big Horn listed severely to the right, almost dragging on the surface of the road! I discovered the passenger side wheel on the trailing axle missing! The wheel, the hub, brakes, everything gone except the inner bearing ring and a mangled spindle nut! The spindle end was ground flat on the bottom side! The odor of burned grease was strong. I hunted for the missing wheel along side of the interstate for a distance, however, I never found it. Obviously it spun off the highway at a tremendous speed and launched itself into the woods, ravines, or somewhere else! Thankfully, no one was hit by the "missile" or it may have injured or killed someone. Also, we were thankful the RV didn't turn over and cause us to have a severe accident. I was able to drive the rig on three wheels, slowly until the next exit where I parked and called Good Sam Roadside Assistance for help.

Roadside service people showed up and determined that the spindle and axle were all one piece and the entire rear axle assembly had to be replaced. They chained the axle up to the frame to give more clearance and I drove the RV at no more then 30 mph, on three wheels, 20 miles to their repair facility (which is not an RV dealer). The RV is parked in Kannapolis, NC waiting for a new axle assembly (axle, hub, brakes, etc.) to be shipped from Lippert's factory to the repair facility. We drove home to VA and I will drive back down to NC to retrieve the RV whenever it is fixed.

My question to anyone is how did this happen. I am sure I have no more then 20,000 road miles on the Big Horn and I have kept the wheel bearings greased (through the fittings). It appears to me that the outer bearing ring and race must have snapped, the wheel tilted and eventually ground the spindle until it was flattened and let the wheel assembly fly off! The only thing I can think of that I might have done to cause the problem was when we were going to Florida in January, I was stuck in traffic on a two lane road where a fatal accident had happended. They closed the road for over four hours and told us to turn around and take another route. With great difficulty, backing up and going forward many times, with the RV's wheels going off the inclined shoulder and having to jacknife the rig a couple of times, perhaps this may have stressed the rear trailing axle and caused something to crack, later coming apart when I left for home. Or, maybe Lippert's axle was defective and metal fatigue caused the failure. I am now worried about the other axle. After the new axle is put on and I get home (hopefully OK), I am going to take the RV to the dealer to have them check the other axle and two front wheels.

Also, I need to find a new rim, matching the aluminum rims on the other three wheels when I get a new tire. I assume I can call Heartland and they can tell me where I can find one, or maybe they can ship me one from their factory?

Thankful to be alive and well,

Jerry Orndorff
Fredericksburg, VA
2011 Big Horn 3670 RL
2005 Chev. Silverado 2500 HD

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Re: Wheel Broke Off on Big Horn 3670RL (and we survived)!

Heartland Parts should be able to point you in the right direction for a replacement wheel. Glad no one was hurt in the incident. I am no expert but I think an overheated bearing could cause your problem.

lynndiwagoner

Same thing happened to me with my 2006 Hitchhiker. Lippert and Nuwa handled it at no cost to me, but they were reluctant. I had to drive about 100 miles to San Antonio on the one wheel. It was certainly stressful. My rig was a little over a year old and Lippert was reluctant about replacing the axle because the warranty requires repacking and checking the bearings at least once a year. It was the bearing by the way. I had those grease zerks on mine but never used them, and always took the wheels off and repacked the bearings myself. I am a firm believer in repacking once a year and not using the grease zerks. Never had another problem. Glad you made it through....

danemayer

Hi Ornofrk,

Glad to hear you're ok. Heartland may direct you to Tredit for a new wheel, since they're the provider of the wheels. (800) 537-2925.

I'm sorry to add to the bad news, but driving on 3 wheels may have added to your woes. The remaining wheel/tire on the damaged side was overloaded by a factor of 2. I'm not 100% sure, but I think I remember reading on one of the tire sites that driving at more than about 10 mph in that condition may cause permanent damage to the tire. Of course, internal damage doesn't necessarily show up right away. It may show up as a future blowout.

Since the remaining axle was also overloaded by a factor of 2, it's possible you may have damage there as well. I'm not sure how you might tell, but it's probably worth a call to the manufacturer. Heartland switched from Lippert to Dexter axles on Landmark in August 2010 and probably switched the Bighorns around that same time. If you have EZ-Lube zerks, it's probably Dexter. (There's a label on the axle). I'd suggest starting with Dexter/Lippert Customer Service and trying to get them to set up a conference call with one of their engineers so you can get a firsthand answer on how the axle should be checked for damage. Dexter did that for me a few years ago in an unusual circumstance involving their brakes.

As to cause, the only thing I would say is that most people don't seem to have a lot of confidence in the effectiveness of lubing the bearings with the zerk fittings. If the lube wasn't effective, you might have had a bearing fail.

lynndiwagoner

When something like this happens there's not much you can do other than try to drive it. Can't put on a spare because the spindle is shot. I've heard of towing companies putting them on low boys but that seems pretty extreme. Re-packing and checking bearings every year seems the best course of action.

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton

I'm real curious did you have a tire monitoring system? If things did heat up, if it would have given some warning.

hoefler

By greasing the bearings through the zerk on the spindle, you most likely did not get enough grease in it. Unless you pump enough grease in it make clean grease come back out the hubcap, you never had any new grease get to the outer bearing. You had an outer bearing failure.

lynndiwagoner

I did not have a TPMS on that rig, but I do now....Pressure Pro. I doubt if the system would have advised me of a hot bearing. Actually I didn't even know the tire had come off until I got to a rest stop and noticed it. The remaining factory bearings were not greased properly. I would highly advise all to follow manufacturers recommendations to check and repack bearings annually.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

I would suggest that you have all the other bearings and seals replaced. A bearing failure was most likely the cause. A truck frame/alignment shop could tell you if the other axle is ok and not bent.

wdk450

A couple of years ago, on my way through Idaho to the Gillette Heartland national Rally, I had my TPMS go off, and found that the rear off-door side tire was shredding against a shock mount. Upon removal of the tire, it was found that my drum had cracked all the way around at the drum bearing tube. This let the wheel twist, and the tire to rub the shock mount. The TPMS alerted me even before the tire blew (it never did). Roadside service put on my spare and got me a new drum and bearings. The next day, while getting a new tire at Les Schwab tire center, I had them remove all the tires one-by-one and inspect the drums for cracking. No other cracking was found. I wonder if this is what happened to you?

BTW, after all your problems, I would strongly recommend that you have both axles re-aligned by a truck alignment shop.

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton

I'm sure the TMS would have sounded off when the wheel left the trailer

Ornofrk

No, I do not have a tire monitoring system. Based on what some have said, I probably had a bearing failure. I will definitely have the wheels checked and the bearings repacked when I get the RV home. I doubt if I will ever grease them myself through the zerk fittings again. I recall when I bought the RV, someone (I think one of the dealer's technicians), told me that when I greased the bearings through the zerk fittings, I had to be careful not to shoot too much grease in because it may come out of the hub and get on the break shoes! This probably caused me not to shoot enough grease in each time I did it. I wish Lippert or Dexter, or Heartland, would have included paperwork (directions) in my owner's packet that would have properly instructed how to use the zerk fittings.

donr827

Ornofrk, The paper work provided by HL is just some general material. Equipment and systems change from model to model and year to year. What I did with my trailer was to print out manuals from all of the equipment on my trailer from the equipment manufacturers web site. . There is also a wealth of information on this forum under the "Tools" section at the top of the page and then go to HOM, Heartland Owners Manuals, for a lot of good information.
Don

danemayer

No, I do not have a tire monitoring system. Based on what some have said, I probably had a bearing failure. I will definitely have the wheels checked and the bearings repacked when I get the RV home. I doubt if I will ever grease them myself through the zerk fittings again. I recall when I bought the RV, someone (I think one of the dealer's technicians), told me that when I greased the bearings through the zerk fittings, I had to be careful not to shoot too much grease in because it may come out of the hub and get on the break shoes! This probably caused me not to shoot enough grease in each time I did it. I wish Lippert or Dexter, or Heartland, would have included paperwork (directions) in my owner's packet that would have properly instructed how to use the zerk fittings.
You've hit on the problem with using the zerk fittings. Too much and you blow the seal and get grease on the brakes. Too little and you have a bearing failure. In the manuals section of the forum, we have a copy of the Dexter Axle/Brake Service Manual. Page 57 has the instructions for using the zerk to grease the bearings. But a lot of people just don't have confidence in this method. Too easy to add too much grease or too little.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

I have those grease fittings on my boat trailer. Don't use them. I remove the cap and pull the hub off the spindle to inspect/repack the bearings. Of course being a boat trailer the hubs are submerged during each unload and load. Always some amount of moisture there that can cause issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DougS

Doug S

Jerry I feel for you, loss of wheels happened to me twice. First when the RV was less then three months old. The second after Lippert replaced axles in my driveway in FL, that wheel was lost with only 3,500 miles on the axles. The axles looked just like you discribed, wheel gone, nut still on. I am slowly changing over to Dexter running gear, I started with Dexter hubs.

Paul & Nan

I'm sure the TMS would have sounded off when the wheel left the trailer

No way, they only tell you when your tires loose pressure, not when they leave you. Ask how we know this!!!

caissiel

Bearings only fail due to contaninent, lack of lubrication or human error. This one is on lubrication or over tight nut.
The zerk is designed to fill the hub and I am sure it was not filled to the outboard bearing.
So maintenance after one year is to late.

I have seen to many new units with failed bearings and can only blame assembly procedure of not pumping enough grease in the zerk.

As for TPMS, if the wheel leaves the unit will loose signal. Might be to late then.
I had a blowout caused by dragging brakes that overheated a tire. Hot bearing and hub might over heat the rim enough to cause the TPMS to show the heat.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk