Which Oven to Use ???

Draco Dog

We have a 2008 Big Horn 3670 5th wheel. It is equipped with a micro-wave oven, a conventional oven and a convection oven. I pretty much have the micro-wave and the conventional oven down-pat----I am just wondering about the convection oven. I have never had one b4 and would like other's opinions on when they use them and why. Thanks.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
We only have the convection oven in our Landmark and my wife loves it. It browns biscuits just like the conventional oven.

Tom of Ypsi

We too have nothing but the micowave/convection oven and after some trial and error we really love it. Cook and browns just like a regular oven leaving more storage space for more junk.

LOUP

i am loup
We have the Convection and Conventional oven in our Landmark Augusta.

I wish we didn't have the conventional oven at all ... in fact I have yet to do anything with it other than store pans in it. = )

The convection oven is great. It browns and bakes evenly with no hot/cold spots and it won't heat up your place in the summer.

I have made pizza, baked chicken, cookies and cassarole in ours so far - it has done a bang up job on everything.

Thanks for asking your question...we have not got to use our unit yet, however, I've never used a convection oven before so it was nice to hear responses from other users.

sjrellis

I, too, was glad to see this posted. I've never used a convection oven and really don't know what they are about. Browning in a microwave (convection)? (As I posted earlier, our pilot light will NOT stay lit. We lit it tonight and after using it, I was careful to turn it to "pilot on". It stayed on for a while, but it is out again. And, the "L" shaped kitchen in the 3670 makes lighting it a 2 person job.) So, I'm going to investigate using the convection oven.

Draco Dog

Thank you all very much for your in-put. I had heard of a convection oven but had no clue as to what they were. Our salesman said that eventually there would only be micro-wave and convection ovens in RV's. Sounds like he may be right. Everyone I have talked to seems to really like them. Guess I just need to sit down and read the manual and try out that strange oven in my new kitchen. Thanks again for all your help.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I use ours all the time too. The "quick" guide is great! I like the 1/2 time feature. I've made breaded pork chops, chicken, etc., cooks just like the conventional oven only alot faster. I still like my conventional oven for large things, but like using the convection when we aren't paying for electric, it really helps save on propane too.:D

jrlebaron

We have the micro, convention and 1/2 time. DW was leary about using the 1/2 time oven. Once she got use to she loves it. Cooks everything in half the time and everything is nice and moist.
Jim

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
Personally, I don't care for the convection oven very much and just use it for reheating and potatoes. I have experimented with a chicken and a pork roast and didn't care for the texture nor the fact I had to turn them over. When we switch propane tanks we need to relight the propane oven and either my husband or I can do that by ourselves.

sjrellis

Personally, I don't care for the convection oven very much and just use it for reheating and potatoes. I have experimented with a chicken and a pork roast and didn't care for the texture nor the fact I had to turn them over. When we switch propane tanks we need to relight the propane oven and either my husband or I can do that by ourselves.

As I stated earlier, it takes both of us in the same 3670 to light our pilot light. I told dh that you could do it by yourself and he said "she is tricky":D!

I've been using the 1/2 time oven and am really liking it. But, the convection isn't impressing me...yet!

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
As I stated earlier, it takes both of us in the same 3670 to light our pilot light. I told dh that you could do it by yourself and he said "she is tricky":D!

I've been using the 1/2 time oven and am really liking it. But, the convection isn't impressing me...yet!

You need to get Jim one of those butane lighters they have to light BBQ grills , has a long snout and reaches back to the pilot pretty easy or you just aren't holding your mouth right.:)....Ken

sjrellis

That is what he is using. The problem seems to be having to "hold" in the knob WHILE you are lighting.

Picture this...he is lying on floor on left side, using right hand with lighter, while I'm leeeeeaning over to hold the knob in. I don't see how else it could be done...especially by ONE person! Tell me, people, what is your trick! :confused::eek::confused:

Can you bypass holding in the knob and go directly to the gas running (as in the on position)?

Are our brains just frozen from being in Wisconsin all winter and being used to a Texas winter?

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
I take a look inside where the flame needs to be lit,,, hold the long butane lighter to that spot and then with the other hand I turn and hold the oven knob. I don't keep looking at the flame while Im waiting for it to light, just keep a steady hand. Hope that helps,,, just call me Tricky Lizzy, lmbo:p

cwlibby

love my 1/2 time part of the microwave...you can do a whole meal right on the turntable and they've always turned out great and nicer and moist...read the book...gives you different recipes

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
It takes both of us to light the oven in our Mt. Rushmore too. Now I agree that, if it were working properly, either of us alone could light it. But, when it takes a small butane torch and up to three minutes for the pilot to catch, it sure is easier with two people. This problem will be addressed, and hopefully rectified, Recreational Specialties next month.

Sheri

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Glad we aren't using the oven yet as it sounds like a pain in the rear to start it. There must be a better way as I like my eyebrows. LOL

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Larry & Debbi, once the oven pilot light is working correctly the propane oven is a dream. With our last 5er we had the problem of the pilot not staying lit and finally got it fixed with replacement of pretty much everything leading to or having to do with the pilot light. In our Mt. Rushmore not only does it not stay lit, but it's a bear to light also. Looking forward to getting it repaired next month.

Netem

What happened to those on here that were experimenting with the Bar B Q lighter on their stoves and ovens? Give us an up date on how they worked.