Whisper Quiet A/C

SLO

At the Pomona RV show last weekend I saw a Bighorn with the Whisper Quiet A/C system. Air comes out ceiling registers on one side of trailer (the entire length of trailer) and return air goes in ceiling registers on other side of trailer (the entire length of trailer). The system still seems noisy compared to other trailers what have two larger return air registers set wide apart in rear ceiling of trailer. It seem especially noisy in front bedroom. Is this just an interim build on the Whisper Quiet system or is there going to be a change? It is much quieter that the old system with return air going directly into A/C unit, but not as quiet as some other trailer mfg.

RoadJunkie

I doubt that "whisper" and A/C, for RV reference, are two words that should be used together in the same sentence. The term raises unreasonable expectations as related to "noise" performance. A whisper is typically considered to be at a level of 20db while my non-whisper, 15K BTU A/C unit is probably 60-70 db (70 is considered vehicle traffic level of sound). The term is likely a marketing description to indicate the complete A/C system, vents and A/C unit, has a lower sound level than, for example, my 15K BTU unit. I have not seen an advertised sound level specification for the "whisper" unit.

B

BouseBill

Yeah.....I wish ours was "Whisper" quiet:rolleyes:
Someone at Heartland was dreaming that one up LOL

danemayer

Since all the A/C units use common ducting, once the desired temp is reached, it can be maintained by changing the thermostat settings so the distant unit does the work.

If you're in the living room, the noise from the bedroom A/C unit is at a pretty low level. And if you're in the bedroom, the noise from the living room A/C unit is at a pretty low level.

SLO

I think Whisper Quiet is marketing slang for quieter than the old way. I was in a Redwood (much more expensive) and Alpine (about same price as Bighorn) at the same Pomona show and they were considerably quieter that the Bighorn.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I can attest to the fact (from firsthand experience) that the new 'whisper quiet' AC system is just as noisy if not more so than the old system. Also by having a single duct for both units this is what happens. The Bedroom AC sends air to the living room through the duct and the Living Room AC sends air to the bedroom from the duct. So when both units are running at the same time the air from the living room is traveling toward the bedroom and the air from the bedroom is traveling toward the living room and they basicly cancel each other out with the net output being LESS air not more air. So we have noticed the old system actually worked better. Also the ducts run all the way from the front cap to the rear cap so there is 38 inches to the front and 38 inches to the rear beyond the last air duct where the air flows to the dead end of the duct. This also results in LESS airflow. Maybe the engineer that designed the system should work in the unit with 100 degree outside air while the two AC will only cool the inside to 85 degrees.

BTW we ended up making a DAM to terminate the end of the duct at the last outlet in the front and the back. Made it work better.

aRAYwego

jmgratz:389974 said:
I can attest to the fact (from firsthand experience) that the new 'whisper quiet' AC system is just as noisy if not more so than the old system. Also by having a single duct for both units this is what happens. The Bedroom AC sends air to the living room through the duct and the Living Room AC sends air to the bedroom from the duct. So when both units are running at the same time the air from the living room is traveling toward the bedroom and the air from the bedroom is traveling toward the living room and they basicly cancel each other out with the net output being LESS air not more air. So we have noticed the old system actually worked better. Also the ducts run all the way from the front cap to the rear cap so there is 38 inches to the front and 38 inches to the rear beyond the last air duct where the air flows to the dead end of the duct. This also results in LESS airflow. Maybe the engineer that designed the system should work in the unit with 100 degree outside air while the two AC will only cool the inside to 85 degrees.

BTW we ended up making a DAM to terminate the end of the duct at the last outlet in the front and the back. Made it work better.

I took it one step further. I made a dam (wadded up towel) and placed one at the bathroom side of the last LR vent and also one at the livingroom side of the bathroom vent. Much improved but still 88 degrees was the best it could attain on 110 degree days. Not sure if I am expecting too much or not.