Who has solar/lithium?

Good afternoon,

I have been researching for weeks for a solar and lithium upgrade and finally messaged Battle Born for advice and I am waiting on a response. I have a 2021 Heartland Cyclone 4006 and we will be boondocking for weeks at a time. At first I wasn't going to get but a couple batteries and then started thinking about areas with many overcast days or covered by trees and now I can't decide what I want. Has anyone done the bundles through Battle Born? Aside from the batteries, do you recommend the other components they use? I'm starting to think I want to go with 4-6 LiFEPO4 batteries. How much solar/lithium do you have in your rigs and how long does it last you in poor weather or areas with lots of tree coverage?

Thanks!

Jess

Oregon_Camper

I have 6 Battle Born batteries and a little over 850w of solar. I'd like to get that to 1,600w at some point in future, but while camping in Oregon, the trees are a very limiting factor for great solar production. Happy to provide info and some of my YouTube video's if you'd like more info.

Joking here, but I had to do it....I do recommend one of these bundles. Full disclosure....I am "RV With The Tanners" and I would make ~4% if you were to buy one of these.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/product-category/battle-born-bundles/rv-with-the-tanners/

Capture111.JPG

Thank you so much! I actually had watched some of your youtube videos while researching! Do I have to buy one of your bundles or can I tell them you were helping me? Also, why the GC2 over the 100Ah 12V LiFePO4 Deep Cycle?? Thanks!

Jessica

I have 6 Battle Born batteries and a little over 850w of solar. I'd like to get that to 1,600w at some point in future, but while camping in Oregon, the trees are a very limiting factor for great solar production. Happy to provide info and some of my YouTube video's if you'd like more info.

Joking here, but I had to do it....I do recommend one of these bundles. Full disclosure....I am "RV With The Tanners" and I would make ~4% if you were to buy one of these.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/product-category/battle-born-bundles/rv-with-the-tanners/

View attachment 65106

Oregon_Camper

Thank you so much! I actually had watched some of your youtube videos while researching! Do I have to buy one of your bundles or can I tell them you were helping me? Also, why the GC2 over the 100Ah 12V LiFePO4 Deep Cycle?? Thanks!

Jessica

It is no big deal if you don't tell them, I only do this for the fun of creating video's. BB created the "bundles"...I had no input as to which products were used for ours. :)

I like the way the GC2's fit in our RV, but everyone has their own idea of what is best. As you can see in the image, the cabling works well for me, with the GC2 setup

Captdddure.JPG

Yes! I remember that from the video. I just didn't know if there was a big difference or something I missed. Thanks for all of your help and also for the great videos!

It is no big deal if you don't tell them, I only do this for the fun of creating video's. BB created the "bundles"...I had no input as to which products were used for ours. :)

I like the way the GC2's fit in our RV, but everyone has their own idea of what is best. As you can see in the image, the cabling works well for me, with the GC2 setup

View attachment 65107

jbeletti

Jess,

I too have added solar, lithium batteries, inverter/charger/switch and DC-DC charging. Love the freedom and flexibility it gives us when traveling - and we don't really boondock. We just have a lot of travel days, with dogs and we eat lunch in the RV every travel day. Nice to run the AC, furnace, TV, induction cooktop, coffee maker or whatever we need on a travel day. Also really handy for the occasional driveway docking.

I have 1,050 watts of solar, a Victron MultiPlus 3000 and 6 Battle Born GC2s.

Listen to Jim Tanner - he's got a lot of experience and also follow his solar Facebook group - lots of talent and experiences there as well.

LBR

We full-time and boondock in a CY4018 90% of the time with a residential refrigerator. I installed a 3K inverter, 406AH LiFeBlue lithium bluetooth battery bank, and have 1260W of solar. Most of our time boondocking is in full sunlight/sans any trees in SoCal/Az.

Nov, Dec, Jan are marginal for our usages without some help from our secondary 3K generator usage every 2-3 days because of the low sun arc/cloudy days. Some days are sunny, some not. Some days/nights we watch a few hours of TV, some not.

Feb-Oct are usually generator free for most of the time without regard to general usages, unless several cloudy days drag the bank down.

The most pertinent advice I can give is this: if you have a resi fridge, you will need to amp-up your battery bank and increase solar ""a bunch"" to give the same amount of secondary inverter usage (TV/quick microwaving/120V accessories, etc) than if you have the standard frig that requires propane when boondocking.

Your boondocking infrastructure requirements will need to be designed around your energy audit, and only you can make that call.

porthole

Retired
Good afternoon,

I have been researching for weeks for a solar and lithium upgrade and finally messaged Battle Born for advice and I am waiting on a response. I have a 2021 Heartland Cyclone 4006 and we will be boondocking for weeks at a time. At first I wasn't going to get but a couple batteries and then started thinking about areas with many overcast days or covered by trees and now I can't decide what I want. Has anyone done the bundles through Battle Born? Aside from the batteries, do you recommend the other components they use? I'm starting to think I want to go with 4-6 LiFEPO4 batteries. How much solar/lithium do you have in your rigs and how long does it last you in poor weather or areas with lots of tree coverage?

The first question I would suggest you ask yourself is how long are you planning to keep the RV and how much are you willing to spend. If you go 6 batteries you are looking at $8-$9K once you add inverter/s wiring accessories etc. And that is before you add solar panels.

The Brian Boone Facebook groups details various installations and is helpful with answering questions and also partners with various vendors with discount codes. For example when I got my batteries his code was good $25 and free shipping. But the Battleborn price today is equal to what I paid with the code.

I'm using 6x100 BB batteries, a Magnum hybrid 3,000 watt inverter, 9 200 watt panels (3x3) with a Magnum 100 amp controller.
Our trailer is wired to use the Magnum with a subpanel with all these circuits being fed through the inverter.

These circuits are live all the time, shore power, generator or inverter. All electrical outlets, fridge, micro, central vac and the washer and dryer. The advantage for us is all the electronics have a constant clean power source, no spikes from disconnecting etc, no memory loss or clock resetting.

The only real test I have done with it was while wintering in Alabama. March-April time frame, had good sunny days but limited number of hours. We did not need AC and I used the gas furnace instead of the cheapheat at night.

I disconnected the shore power and ran off the batteries & solar. On average we could go 2 1/2 days before I would plug back in.
That was using everything as we would normally, including using the washer and dryer although I limited to using the dryer to the morning.
On full sunlight I get 85+ DC amps at 14.4 volts out of the panels.
Panels max output = 29 amps at 66 volts --> controller max output is 100 amps 14.4 volts

I am contemplating adding 2 to 4 more batteries and moving one AC and the maybe dishwasher to the inverter panel.

Having the alternate power is nice. We frequently will do a load of wash while packing up to move and then use the dryer while we are traveling.
The fridge never gets turned off from the start of the season until we winterize, and I don't have to plug in on the days we parked at home.

Adding one AC will allow running the AC an hour or so out from a destination to start a cool down. That is something we do now using the generator.
It would also help protect the AC from brownouts or having short power outages shutting it down and restarting the wait period.

I would not recommend the Magnum solar controller. Although it interfaces nicely with the Magnum inverter and remotes, it is not really suitable for RV use.

And unless you will be in frigid temps the BB batteries with heaters are probably unnecessary.
Our batteries are mounted in heated space, inside the front closet. So if we are using the trailer the batteries are protected.

Last edited: