Why is it taking forever to fill the fresh water tank

Purchased a 2008 big country 3490 bhs a few weeks ago and trying to learn everything i can about these 5th wheels. But my question is why is it taking forever to fill the fresh water tank I put the hose in and all it does is back feed like it's full. so I have to trickle it in and it says it's a 72 gallon tank so that takes some time to fill. im the second owner the previous said he had it to the dealer and they went right through it and can't find an issue. Is this ever a,known problem?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There can be a problem venting especially with older models.
I had a 2008 Bighorn and had the same issue.
The fix was to take a piece of hose, in my case about 12 inches, hold it tight to the vent and blow out any water that might be standing in any low point of the vent line.
It seems that when the vent lines were installed they had some sagging and that is what caused the problem.
Oh, the vent is the little, about 1/2 inch, hole having a screen in it, located next to the filler.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Our 2011 also had a sagging feed hose that would backfeed unless the water flow was very slow. I tried a number of approaches to fix it without ever getting good results.

I finally installed a tee into the pex line that runs between the fresh tank and the pump, along with a cutoff valve so water wouldn't flow the wrong direction (probably could have used a check valve). At the water hose connection, I have a little manifold with 4 outputs. One of the outputs is permanently connected to the new fresh tank fill and goes through a meter.

Now I fill the tank by turning on the water and opening the valve at the manifold. I leave the 2nd valve (near the tee) open most of the time. No backflow and it fills as fast as water comes out the faucet. The meter keeps me from overfilling the tank.

jnbhobe

I rerouted the vent and fill lines so there were no sagging lines, fills with a wide open washer hose pushed down the fill port.

This is awesome thank you I will be getting one of those I thought it was weird I drained my tank nothing coming out my lines from the bottom of the camper went to fill it and it took a half hour slowly going i had enough water plus some for 3 days. where the previous owner said it took like 2 and half hours maybe he was just crazy.

jnbhobe

Reroute the vent line and take a washing machine hose and cut one end off and use that to fill your tank you can push it in 2 feet

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The first time I tried to put water in the tank via the gravity feed, it back flowed after a few gallons. Solution was to take a short piece of tubing, place it over the vent screen next to the port and blow into it until I heard gurgling. Then I was able to fill the tank.

Even though we're on city water, I still put 30 gallons or so in the tank for those power failure times. That way we can still use our own "facility." If the power is out, so are the pumps for the CG, which means the public facilities aren't working.