WiFi boosting a park's weak signal?

TxCowboy

Is it possible to get a WiFi booster that boosts a RV park's weak signal? Looking for something that is "plug and play" if possible.

We have access to our park's password protected wifi but the signal strength is all over the place -- five bars to no bars and back again. So we want something that will let us boost that signal strength so that we have a more reliable access to the park's public wifi.

Any suggestions?

danemayer

What's the type of device you're using to connect to the park WiFi? Phone? Router? Computer? WiFi USB Key? And does it have a connector for external antenna?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I know Jim B. did a WiFi booster on his a while bake but it was far from a "plug and play"
For us we have the Verizon MiFi5510L Wifi and our Wilson Cel booster that we use. We have 18G of data use on our plan so we never use it all. Also it is a lot more secure for doing banking and other privet online business stuff. Nobody else can access your WiFi and hack into your stuff. This keeps you and your information much safer. Jim B's system has the same security's but his is able to use the free park WiFi.
I think we pay $10 a month for this.
e4ae10ecd679c7567c379f3a9bfd2bfe.jpg

mlpeloquin

Our friends have a similar device for AT&T. So you should, for a price, get quick and easy internet no matter who is the provider.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Check out www.technorv.com. I've not used them, but seems like they have some solutions for boosting park wifi. Check out the videos, they explain them pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxCowboy

What's the type of device you're using to connect to the park WiFi? Phone? Router? Computer? WiFi USB Key? And does it have a connector for external antenna?

Cellphones, laptops, and tablets. And I just looked up what a WiFi USB Key was. (Never heard of them before.) That might be just what we need!

And they're on sale and on Amazon Prime. :) :) :)

avvidclif

Depending on what phone you have you may have the solution in your hand. We have IPhones that have a WiFi hotspot built-in. Turn it on and my computer connects to the phone and the phone connects to the internet. No park WiFi needed. Most park WiFi systems I have tried to use are like you describe besides being slow.... The Jetpacks that Verizon and AT&T have do the same thing, runs $10-15/Gb/month but no phone included.

danemayer

Pepwave Surf on the Go router and a Signal Booster Antenna.

When you arrive at a campground, you connect your computer to the Pepwave unit and using the Pepwave menu, connect the Pepwave to the campground WiFi. All of your devices connect to the Pepwave and share the one internet connection.

The signal booster antenna connects to the Pepwave unit and in my experience will deliver close to 10dB improvement in signal strength, which is double.

Keep in mind that bad campground WiFi can be bad even with a strong signal.

bnm

Like the pepwave, ubiquiti is another solution. Make a ssid that all your devices connect to when on. Once your at the park, connect the router to the wireless and it broadcasts using your ssid.

Ubiquiti LocoM2 Nanostation LocoM2 + Ubiquiti airGateway airMAX Wi-Fi Solution

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Pepwave Surf on the Go router and a Signal Booster Antenna.

When you arrive at a campground, you connect your computer to the Pepwave unit and using the Pepwave menu, connect the Pepwave to the campground WiFi. All of your devices connect to the Pepwave and share the one internet connection.

The signal booster antenna connects to the Pepwave unit and in my experience will deliver close to 10dB improvement in signal strength, which is double.

Keep in mind that bad campground WiFi can be bad even with a strong signal.

This is what we use. I use a park's wifi if I can, but also have a cellular option (mifi) hooked to my Pepwave as well. It can switch between the two. This way I can use either one that gives me the best/consistent signal.

Bogie

Like the pepwave, ubiquiti is another solution. Make a ssid that all your devices connect to when on. Once your at the park, connect the router to the wireless and it broadcasts using your ssid.

Ubiquiti LocoM2 Nanostation LocoM2 + Ubiquiti airGateway airMAX Wi-Fi Solution

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I too was going to suggest the Ubiquiti Loco M2 and airGateway. I just purchased one but haven't been able to try it yet. Here is a video that explains it and how to set it up as well.