Will my SUV be able to pull a Wilderness 2650BH

agc23

Would like to first say hello to everyone and thanks in advance for your help

My wife and I have decided that we wanted to get a TT for our family (two kids) and are hoping that we can use our existing family vehicle to tow the TT. We’ve looked at a few TT and think that the Heartland Wilderness 2650BH is the best unit for us (based on layout, etc.) and would love not to have to buy a new/pre-owned tow vehicle. Another option would be to buy a smaller/lighter trailer.

Tow vehicle: 2009 GMC Yukon XL Denali
Engine size: 6.2L V8
Max towing capacity: 8,1000 lbs.
GCWR 14,000 lbs.
GVWR: 7,400 lbs.
GAWR FRT: 3600 lbs.
GAWR RR: 4200 lbs.
Curb Weight of Truck: 5,838 lbs.
Max payload: 1379 lbs.
Rear axle ratio: 3.42

Heartland Wilderness 2650BH
GVWR: 6900 lbs.
Dry Weight: 5,438 lbs.
Hitch Weight: 505 lbs.

What do you guys think?

jimtoo

Hi agc23,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will get the info soon from some of our members that have the same unit.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Or check out fifthwheelst.com, they have great info on how to match truck to trailer, as well as calculators. Site is owned by a regular forum poster/HL owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I towed a wilderness 24J for 6 years with a Tahoe. It had to work at it but I never felt like it was too much trailer for the SUV. And it had a similar weight of 6K. Mind you it towed a heck of a lot better when I got the chevy 2500 diesel

Last edited:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Pulling is not the only consideration . . .

A lot of people forget about being able to stop with their trailers attached.

And don't forget about the added weight of the family in the truck plus all of the stuff that you are going to put inside the trailer.

JanAndBill

At one time we had a 29' SOB TT that we bought with the intention of towing with our existing F150. While it pulled the trailer, I never felt comfortable while towing. Soon went to a V10 Excursion. The difference was substantial.