Window Latch Repair for Sliding Windows

BigFry

I searched for information on how to repair the broken plastic window latch on the vertical sliding windows on my Bighorn. These are located on the slides so that they don’t extend outward and possibly break when the slides are retracted. The plastic pin that inserts into the plastic window track broke. The window track is also the guide for the glass itself. I searched multiple forums about how to repair and also contacted Lippert to no avail, so I thought I would post what I ended up doing to replace. I also noticed that several on the forum had posted in the past asking for help.

I was able to order the part from Lippert. It Lippert part number is 235039 but the listing has no picture. I found the same part at two other sites with pictures using part number RM08407 which happens to be a number Lippert also uses.

I took a Demel type bit and reamed out the channel grooves in the aluminum handle so that the window latch could be slid to the center of the handle and removed. This aluminum handle is attached to the glass itself and is used to open the window.

After removing the single screw on the latch itself it is easy to slide the part to the middle of the aluminum handle. With the raised track grinded flat the latch pops out.

The latch does not come with the required spring so I removed it from the broken old latch and inserted it into the new one. I then inserted the new latch and slid it to the end of the aluminum handle. It needs to go all the way to the end so that the retaining screw creates tension on the latch.

We painted the handle black where the Dremel had removed the paint.

By the way, I first removed the plastic grooved track on both sides of the glass hoping that the window itself could be removed. Even with both tracks removed there was not enough clearance to take out the sliding window glass. Given that this plastic part would seem to be prone to fail I am sure that there is a better way of replacing the latch, I just could not find how.

Attachments

• Heartland Window Latch Repair-1.jpg
    Heartland Window Latch Repair-1.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 63
  • Heartland Window Latch Repair-2.jpg
    Heartland Window Latch Repair-2.jpg
    481.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Heartland Window Latch Repair-3.jpg
    Heartland Window Latch Repair-3.jpg
    425.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Heartland Window Latch Repair-4.jpg
    Heartland Window Latch Repair-4.jpg
    480 KB · Views: 58
  • Heartland Window Latch Repair-5.jpg
    Heartland Window Latch Repair-5.jpg
    583.7 KB · Views: 56
BigFry, thanks for the tutorial on the window latch replacement.
I have the same problem with a broken latch on my 2019 Bighorn.
Thanks also for the part number.
I will follow your lead.
Thanks for sharing.

Hockster

Finally today I replaced my window latch per BigFry’s direction.
I would like to add something to the repair program.
I was trying to figure a way to compress the spring before replacing the screw.
My wife hit on the idea of slipping about a 12” piece of thread through the center of the spring to compress the spring.
We did that, then installed the new latch into the window, pulled both ends of the thread together to compress the spring, then insert the screw and tighten it down.
It worked perfectly.
The rest is History.
Thanks BigFry for all the information, and I hope the little I added with make it easy for someone else.
It’s nice to have the window working correctly again.

BigFry

Your welcome. Glad you were able to fix it. I like the string idea on compressing the spring. I bought a second latch as a spare and hope I don't have to use it :)

Kilroy

Experiencing the same issue with those side window latches. I've reached out to Heartland Support via email to have them identify the specific part for reorder/replacement. Fingers crossed that they reply!