Window Screen Replacement

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
One of our kittens decided that bugs on the window were enemy targets and ripped holes in two of the window screens. I removed one of the screens (small vertical slide window) thinking that the spline could be removed and the screen replaced. Almost... Seems the spline has been either glued or heat staked into the plastic corner radius at the bottom of it and unless I tear it out or Dremel it out, it's not going to come out.

So, I called the number for the Michigan Hehr Window Plant and they answer as a Lippert operation. Courteous, but they refer me to Parkin, Ind., their distributor. Parkin can't do anything without the window part numbers, which are on tags behind the frame. That means removing the entire window from the wall to get at it.

The light then goes on, why not call Heartland with the VIN and see if they have that info on a build sheet. Using the dimensions, they were able to give me the part numbers I needed. Called that info back to Parkin and got the screens ordered. The second screen is the one in the bedroom emergency exit window. They are not cheap, by the way.

Mr. Merlin has used up two of his nine lives today.

carl.swoyer

One of our kittens decided that bugs on the window were enemy targets and ripped holes in two of the window screens. I removed one of the screens (small vertical slide window) thinking that the spline could be removed and the screen replaced. Almost... Seems the spline has been either glued or heat staked into the plastic corner radius at the bottom of it and unless I tear it out or Dremel it out, it's not going to come out.

So, I called the number for the Michigan Hehr Window Plant and they answer as a Lippert operation. Courteous, but they refer me to Parkin, Ind., their distributor. Parkin can't do anything without the window part numbers, which are on tags behind the frame. That means removing the entire window from the wall to get at it.

The light then goes on, why not call Heartland with the VIN and see if they have that info on a build sheet. Using the dimensions, they were able to give me the part numbers I needed. Called that info back to Parkin and got the screens ordered. The second screen is the one in the bedroom emergency exit window. They are not cheap, by the way.

Mr. Merlin has used up two of his nine lives today.
Call warranty with the last six of you vin#. Ask the for a build sheet, pertaining to the window and there respective part numbers.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

Call warranty with the last six of you vin#. Ask the for a build sheet, pertaining to the window and there respective part numbers.

Lol I just saw your ending to your post.

JohnDar

Lol I just saw your ending to your post.

It does pizz me off that what should have been a simple, cheap and quick repair has to be an expensive, 4 to 6 weeks deal (order & shipping time). I’ve replaced window screening on larger ones than these and it’s not rocket science or pricey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Thx for posting John. That's good info to have. Shame on Mr. Merlin!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Possible to go ahead and make home repair on originals and keep as back if Mr. Merlin decided to tempt fae again?
It does pizz me off that what should have been a simple, cheap and quick repair has to be an expensive, 4 to 6 weeks deal (order & shipping time). I’ve replaced window screening on larger ones than these and it’s not rocket science or pricey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Possible to go ahead and make home repair on originals and keep as back if Mr. Merlin decided to tempt fae again?

That’s the plan, to try it at least. I might be able to rout out the sections with some surgical application of a Dremel bit and make new spline strips from silicone caulking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
John, sorry to hear!

I'm guessing you have your windows open often, so you need the screens? Here in Texas it's too dang hot right now... I took all the screens off for our window tint job, and haven't put them back. No need when you aren't likely going to open the windows till October. 🤣

JohnDar

Yep, Erika, we open the windows here in the North . But if it’s humid or getting into the mid-80’s or higher, they’re closed and the AC is on. We like it 75 to 78 degrees.

I was hoping it would be easy to just replace the screen material with some better, pet-resistant stuff I used on our doorwall at home after the late Max tried climbing it in his younger years. Still have enough left for some of these small windows.

JohnDar

OK! Took the damaged screens and found I could dig the spline out of the glued corners without damaging it. Using the spline and a spline tool with a narrow roller, I’ve been able to replace the ripped screen with Phifer PetScreen. This stuff is tough and was able to handle our late Maine Coon male climbing up the doorwall screen at home. Still had plenty of it left from that. As the two resident devils work a screen, repair is now possible instead of buying the things from Parkin (who is expensive).

The Phifer material is heavier than the OEM stuff, with a slightly larger grid spacing.