Window Tinting to Reduce Heat Inside Coach

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You keep your AC on 76? Wow. Our 15k is set at 72 and our 13.5 is set at 68. We have had a lot of rain and no triple digit temps like y’all and ours will cycle. 76 just seems hot to me though. We like it cold. We also don’t pay for electricity either but we do pay $700/month right now during this construction boom but were paying $550.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason, I can set it that low, but it'll never get there if the temp is over 80. Remember we are 42.5' with 5 slides, and 13 windows. Both units are 15k. I have no issues with upstairs unit. It's downstairs that can't keep up, even with multiple fans, including one at top of steps blowing toward the kitchen, all shades drawn and lights off, no heat generating activity.

Heartland looked at our cooling system at the Service Center and claims it's "working as designed". They ran it with temp outside of 72, they got down to 44 in the rig. They looked into adding a third AC and said it wasn't feasible.

So I am forced to look at other options. This is pricy but hopefully it's a "buy once and done" solution: no added weight to speak of, no additional electricity to be used, no having to stow it when we travel, or have it sit unused through the winter.

We do pay electric at our park, .13 a kWh. We average about $150 a mo. in electricity each year -- more in summer, less in winter.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Jason, I can set it that low, but it'll never get there if the temp is over 80. Remember we are 42.5' with 5 slides, and 13 windows. Both units are 15k. I have no issues with upstairs unit. It's downstairs that can't keep up, even with multiple fans, including one at top of steps blowing toward the kitchen, all shades drawn and lights off, no heat generating activity.

Heartland looked at our cooling system at the Service Center and claims it's "working as designed". They ran it with temp outside of 72, they got down to 44 in the rig. They looked into adding a third AC and said it wasn't feasible.

So I am forced to look at other options. This is pricy but hopefully it's a "buy once and done" solution: no added weight to speak of, no additional electricity to be used, no having to stow it when we travel, or have it sit unused through the winter.

We do pay electric at our park, .13 a kWh. We average about $150 a mo. in electricity each year -- more in summer, less in winter.

Erica it’s Andy lol. I got ya on your AC. Just was saying that is still very warm to us.

TravelTiger

Dang Andy, I knew that, I just typed the wrong thing cause your Forum name confuses me. Happy Anniversary!!

NYSUPstater

FWIW, I have 3M Crystaline window tint on front doors of my truck. Friggin' CRS as I can't recall the % tint of it, but want to say it's like 70% and it's a clear tint. Can tell you that compared to the windshield by placing back of hand on them, the door is a LOT cooler than the w/s. I should be a bit more specific as to the clearness. Yes it is clear, but if you compare it to the factory glass tint, it does darken it up some, but to the ave Joe, you'd never know it was tinted. I have a darker shade of same Mfr on brow of w/s and does an adequate job for it's intended use.

So I think you can get clear tint w/ degree of darkness/tint that will block the heat & UV rays, but not your view. The clear tint offers same advantages of a dark tint, just not dark.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Today's assessment:

Temp: got up to 100 according to the weather app today. We had shades closed, ran all our fans like we normally do, kept lights off and no cooking. Both AC units set on 76 all day, and ran all day.

It "seemed" to be cooler, but we did have a few afternoon clouds. However, when our thermometer on the kitchen table said it was 99 outside, and didn't go above 79 inside, so we feel like that's a win!

Compared to a few weeks ago when temp was 95 and same thermometer read 83!

Glad that you could get this done! It made such a difference on our last rig that I also cannot wait to get this done to our current one. We do not have much of an issue keeping it at 72-76 in ours no matter how hot it is, but we like the idea of using the ac's less if possible. We may schedule the shop you used on our way to TX this fall instead of waiting till we get to Phoenix next spring.

TravelTiger

Glad that you could get this done! It made such a difference on our last rig that I also cannot wait to get this done to our current one. We do not have much of an issue keeping it at 72-76 in ours no matter how hot it is, but we like the idea of using the ac's less if possible. We may schedule the shop you used on our way to TX this fall instead of waiting till we get to Phoenix next spring.

Mike, I think Abilene Window Tint did a really good job in their facility. You might get it cheaper in Arizona, so shop around. But you can definitely call or email Chris for a quote and tell him I sent you.

TravelTiger

will this window tint help with the cold as well on single pane windows?

Kathi, I am not sure. I wasn't specifically looking for winter features. Try researching XPEL PRIME XR Black Window film.

MTPockets

will this window tint help with the cold as well on single pane windows?
Any heat blocking film will only block heat, so in winter, it will not act as insulation against cold. It will block the sun heat even in winter, when you have sun on the windows.