Wing/Airfoil on Trucks

Piperflyer

I have seen a few trucks towing 5th wheels with a wing on the roof of the truck. I take it as to help keep bugs off the front cap of the RV. Is there any pro's or con's out there on this set up? Does it really work?

Kathi-27

I have a wing and it does help with bugs and rock chips. don't know if it helps are hurts fuel mileage unless you are not pulling rv..when not pulling rv its drops empty fuel mileage 2 1/2 to 3 miles per gal. don't think it effects when towing cause I seem to get around the same mileage as other people get that don't have them. 9-101/2 unless bucking head wind.

Kathi-27

The wing does not go high enough to help. If you are buying it to save fuel it wont.
my wing will go high enough but if you get that high it would hurt mileage more than help. I think the front cap on rvs do pretty good for better fuel mileage by there self. already had wing from old trailer so using it to help with bugs and rocks.

Manzan

My frist bumper pull had a very square front. Had to carry a canoe on top of my Suburban back from Castro Vally, CA for daughter and son inlaw and exptected my mileage to head south. To my surprise it went up. Did some research and found that the Sought Australia Caravan club had a member who did additional research so built a roof top deflector close to their recommendations. First trip, one I had made several times and kept track of mileage each time, and my savings was about 10%. What a surprise. Did some modifications and it went up to 12% to 15%. Happy camper!. Next two trailers were more aerodynamic. Minimal savings so abandoned it with my North Trail. Now I am looking at the 'bustle' you now see on some long distance semis. Could be another large improvement in mileage. The new 5th wheels are quite aero dynamic so not sure what savings may be made with a roof top deflector. Check out South Australia Caravan club and see if they have any recommendations?

Lynn1130

There is a study, old, that determined that for fuel mileage they are worthless on smaller vehicles. Rejex or a good polymer job on the front cap works well for bugs and is much cheaper.

Kathi-27

i agree with gary521.I only have mine on cause already had it for 40ft race car trailer that had a flat nose. It really helped with it. Probily wouldn't buy one cause they arn't cheap. If are still thinking about getting one. Taylor wings is the one i have 32x60 stainless with bed mount.