Winter Traveling

jdfishing

I will be towing my Bighorn for two days through some pretty cold country. I did not winterize , and wondered if it would be OK to leave the furnace on a low setting while traveling to keep a little heat in the basement area.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbeletti

Unsure if it's recommended but it does work. One thing to consider is how many furnace vents are covered by slides when you're traveling and what effect that will have on the furnace. It really needs to discharge all that heat it's making.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Unsure if it's recommended but it does work. One thing to consider is how many furnace vents are covered by slides when you're traveling and what effect that will have on the furnace. It really needs to discharge all that heat it's making.

Our slides cover up one of the four vents (kitchen vent) we have in the Prowler.

jdfishing

Good advice. Thanks Jim.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
What is "pretty cold?" The rig will not cool down immediately to the outside temp when traveling, so if the daytime temps get above freezing, you'll probably be fine. You could add a remote thermometer in the underbelly to keep an eye on temps as you travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Be sure the bathroom vent is clear...on our BH you can melt metal on that vent!

I put these plastic louvered vent covers from Camping World (I advise not to buy them) in the bathroom and bedroom of our Prowler and this is what happened to them on the very first furnace run:

MeltedVentCover2016.jpg

I have since replaced them with metal ones and they are holding up fine, although I do leave the bathroom one open just a bit to allow some heat flow out of it.