Winterization

Hi all - Regarding a 2016 Bighorn, Model 3270. As I live in Arizona, I did not need to winterize the unit, which we just bought new in April 2016. But for next year, we'll be living in eastern edge of Arizona where it does get down to zero degrees a few times in the winter months. I just talked to a cousin in Montana who says he uses the compressed air method and has never had a problem. Says his Owner's Manual explains it step-by-step in detail, like I'm an idiot for not finding it (could be?). So where, exactly, do I read up on this, please? My Owner's Manual touches on it briefly, kinda tells me WHAT to do, but not HOW to do it. I found online here under "Heartland Owners Manuals," a "Winterization Guide V1.1.pdf," but it's from October 2013. Is this the closest I'm gonna get to what I currently own? Thought maybe there'd be a complete how-to manual for us newbies on my specific model. No? Thank you for your time.

John

rjr6150

John
Yes that pretty well covers how to winterize. If you have a washer installed a few extra steps are needed. We live in CO. And have always done both air and antifreeze. Guess I'm anal.

danemayer

Hi JohnAndBetty,

The Winterization Guide you found covers most of it. If you have a refrigerator with a water dispenser and/or ice maker, you'll have some additional steps. RV gas absorption refrigerators from Dometic and Norcold include specific instructions for their respective units. Residential refrigerators do not as they are principally intended for homes. Our Residential Refrigerator Guide has winterization instructions. Because Heartland has used a number of different make/models, some of the specifics might be a bit different inside your refrigerator.

If you have a dishwasher, that will also need to be winterized. You can find instructions in the Landmark 365 User Guide.

I used compressed air to winterize in central Texas for a number of years. Beginning this year in southwest Colorado, with temps getting below zero occasionally, I used a combination of compressed air and RV antifreeze.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Buy one of these from Camping World or Walmart (in the 'RV Accessories' section):

BlowOutPlug.jpg

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/blow-out-plug/4410

I have a couple of them and use it to blow out the lines with an air compressor.

I also run some RV antifreeze through the water pump and out through the outside shower, then pour some in all of the P-traps and in the toilet bowel (plus I flush a little down into the black tank).

Takes me about 30 minutes to do the whole thing.

Nuclearcowboy

When we winterize, we use compressed air to take care of the residential refrigerator line and anti-freeze for everything else. Looking at the plumbing runs for our unit, there are places that air just won't blow all the water out. Anti-freeze for me is simple and quick - takes only 15 minutes or so to winterize once I get the fresh water tank drained and the hot water heater bypassed and drained. Tried air once and it just didn't work well for me - ended up with a busted line (fitting) doing that method.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Personally, for connecting my compressor to the water system to start winterizing (or dewinterizing), I prefer this adapter. With this, I can introduce a continuous supply of air from the outside while I'm inside opening faucets, etc. With the other adapter (I have one), you have to stand at it with an air chuck.

Attachments

• Winterizing Air Line.jpg
    Winterizing Air Line.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 61

padre44

I no longer trust the blowing method alone. Had a leak from the shower faucet being split from freezing where all the water didn't get blown out. I now use anti freeze after blowing just to make sure. Not much more time and not expensive. Probably wouldn't have to blow out lines if using the anti freeze.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I no longer trust the blowing method alone. Had a leak from the shower faucet being split from freezing where all the water didn't get blown out. I now use anti freeze after blowing just to make sure. Not much more time and not expensive. Probably wouldn't have to blow out lines if using the anti freeze.

I still pump antifreeze into the rig after blowing it out with air. If you have a washing machine, you must pump AF in while running the machine. Air blasting will not clear the machine. I use air in the spring to clear out the lines and then pump several gallons of lightly chlorinated water through it while it's still in the storage yard. Once at our summer site, I give the whole system a thorough flush via city water to clear them and run the washing machine a couple of times to clear it.

Dreamer7

Does anyone know what type of water heater is on the 2015 northtrail 32 Rlts? I’m reading instructions on winterizing and trying to figure out if there is still water in tank and then how to remove. I’d like to stop paying for propane to heat it and get it done! Thank you so much.

danemayer

Does anyone know what type of water heater is on the 2015 northtrail 32 Rlts? I’m reading instructions on winterizing and trying to figure out if there is still water in tank and then how to remove. I’d like to stop paying for propane to heat it and get it done! Thank you so much.
For winterizing, there's only a minor difference between Suburban and Atwood, so don't let that stop you. Page 3 of our owner-written Winterization Guide covers both. If when you remove the drain plug, there an anode rod, it's Suburban. If it's just a plug, it's an Atwood.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Just pull the anode rod or white plastic plug and drain the water off.

Don’t forget to let the water cool off first.

Also there is a pressure release valve on top of the water heater to allow air flow for the tank to drain.

southernlady5464

Reference the dishwasher and refrigerator. BTW, we are full timers. We haven’t ever winterized this rig in the almost 5 years we’ve owned it.

We will be in Goshen for a week starting Sunday for repair at Affinity. Much of that time, the rig will be inside, only Sunday night will be outside. We will be winterizing much of the rig but wondering about the dishwasher. We stopped using it yesterday so we could put the stuff from that slide in storage before leaving. We won’t have power to the rig Sunday night.

But the slides will be in. As far as the fridge, have not used the ice maker in over 2 years. A split in the line caused major issues under the island and neither of us use ice anyway.

My question, do we really need to winterize those two appliances or will the inside temp keep them warm enough for just the one night. Sunday’s low is only suppose to be 32.

Last edited:

danemayer

Better safe than sorry. While your plan is for one night where temps only get down to 32, the actual experience could end up being different.

Our Landmark User Guide includes instructions on winterizing the dishwasher. The pictures and procedures go back several years, so it's possible yours might not look exactly the same. The refrigerator, in addition to the water feed line, includes a filter and a chill coil inside the refrigerator. You can find a general winterizing approach in the Residential Refrigerator Guide.