Winterizing - Low Drain Points Fail

RedChris

Hello.

My name is Chris and I am new here. I have never posted on this or any other forums so I hope I am following proper protocol as a newbie. This past spring 2021 my wife and I purchased a used 2016 Heartland P292 Prowler 5th wheel. I have had a few RV trailers in the past but this is my first 5th wheel.

I am very experienced at winterizing RV’s/Campers as we live in Northern Ontario. Our 5ver is wintered at our remote camp off the grid where it gets very cold. All power to the camper is provided by a quality generator and we have no pressurized water other than the onboard camper pump. So here is my query about my first time winterizing this particular model 5th wheel.

The low point hot and cold drain pipes hang down and are clearly visible with typical chrome drain valves. When I started my winterizing procedure the first thing I did was, divert the hot/cold valves to bypass the Hot Water tank. I then drained the HW tank. No problems there. (Anode rod was shot and lots of sediment in the bottom but that is has been remedied). It now sits empty, dry, and totally isolated from the main plumbing system.

My potable water holding tank was 95% full so I know from experience these take a while to drain. I opened all the interior Hot and Cold faucets to allow for good “open to atmospheric pressure” for the draining process. This includes opening: Kitchen faucets, Bathroom sink faucets. Bathroom shower faucets and Rear outdoor faucets (with quick release hose attached and open ended).

*THE PROBLEM* Here is where I am perplexed and looking for any – greatly appreciated – assistance. For some reason when I opened both hot (red) and cold (blue) low drain valves, they both started to drain no problem with a good stream, but only for about 5 minutes and then they came to a slow trickle and eventually stopped. I know the full tank takes at least 20 min to drain. I checked the onboard meter and it remained at ¾ full.

The ONLY way I could completely drain the potable water tank via the low point drain lines, was to run the pump. I wasn’t crazy about running the pump for 20 min straight, but it was the only way to get all water vacated from the fresh water holding tank. Also, (and this is probably obvious), I better mention - I had NOT yet engaged the bypass valve over to the Anti-Freeze Pickup/Suction line.

After running the pump continuously for about 15/20 min, the tank finally emptied. I had closed all open faucets to do this. Once empty, I switched over the Anti-Freeze pickup line (engaged the by-pass valve) and pumped anti-freeze into all lines, faucets, toilet and P traps, working from 1 faucet/tap at a time starting from the farthest.

So my question is, does anyone know if running the pump to drain a full fresh water tank is by design for this model? Did I miss something in my draining procedure with this particular 5th Wheel Model? I didn’t see anything in the guides or in the forum. (But I am new to forums so sorry if I actually missed a post elsewhere).

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated. Anyone else experience this? At least I am confident the tank is empty and all lines are winterized for this -30 C (-22 F) Ontario winter.

All the best and have a great winter.
Chris.

Last edited:

danemayer

Hi Chris,

You should have 2 low point drains, AND a separate drain for the fresh (potable) tank. The fresh tank is not intended to be drained through the low point drains, as there's no direct connection between the two. It's intended to drain the fresh tank through the fresh tank drain. Location varies by floor plan, but usually, the fresh tank is located above the axles for weight distribution, and the drain is usually at the front of the tank, coming down through the coroplast just in front of the axles. There are some builds where the location is different however.

If you don't see the fresh tank drain, it's possible a prior owner tucked it up above the coroplast to keep it from having a freeze problem.

Running the water pump for 20 minutes is like 2 people taking showers, one after the other. So it shouldn't be a problem.

RedChris

Hi Chris,

You should have 2 low point drains, AND a separate drain for the fresh (potable) tank. The fresh tank is not intended to be drained through the low point drains, as there's no direct connection between the two. It's intended to drain the fresh tank through the fresh tank drain. Location varies by floor plan, but usually, the fresh tank is located above the axles for weight distribution, and the drain is usually at the front of the tank, coming down through the coroplast just in front of the axles. There are some builds where the location is different however.

If you don't see the fresh tank drain, it's possible a prior owner tucked it up above the coroplast to keep it from having a freeze problem.

Running the water pump for 20 minutes is like 2 people taking showers, one after the other. So it shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks so much for your answer. This now makes total sense. I did crawl around under the (new to me) 5ver but did not see any other pipes drains. So your absolutely right, the previous must have tucked it up somewhere. This will certainly make my life much easier next year as this spring I am going to make a solid point of locating that actual "Tank" drain. Point taken and noted. Low Drain and Tank Drain are 2 separate animals. Thanks for pump comment too. It also makes sense. Just me being paranoid. I tip my hat to you kind sir. Thank you.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Chris, Dan's response to you is EXACTLY why I'm a member of this forum. A wealth of knowledge resides here and if one person doesn't know the answer, someone else does. Welcome and keep posting your questions. I learn something new every day!

RedChris

Chris, Dan's response to you is EXACTLY why I'm a member of this forum. A wealth of knowledge resides here and if one person doesn't know the answer, someone else does. Welcome and keep posting your questions. I learn something new every day!
@klindgren. Thanks. It’s a pleasure to be acquainted with everyone through the forum. Any/All input is indeed appreciated and I will definitely be back with more questions I’m sure. I’m also looking forward to helping out when I can, with other members as well. BTW… I really love the user-contributed online manuals posted here. I was browsing a few of them and Wow - are they ever impressive!