Wire generator to converter

GregD904

Hello,

I currently have a Champion 3400-watt dual fuel generator that works well with our travel trailer. However, using it on longer trips, such as stopping at a Walmart or boondocking, it’s not always convenient to use it on the ground or in the truck. Because of this, I am considering one of those generator mounts that will attach to the tongue of the trailer. Before investing in one, I have some questions about the best wiring solution.

Recently I had to replace my “shore power” connection, and when I unscrewed it from the camper, I noticed there was an orange Romex electrical wire going to the converter, similar to what you would use in your house.

I don’t want to have to always hook my power cord from the generator up front to the shore power in the back, especially in a parking lot somewhere. What is the best way to get power from the generator into the camper, in this scenario? Could I get a standard 30 amp RV power cable with the 30 amp plug, plug it into the generator and then wire (green, black, white) it into an electrical box on the tongue, from there, go out of that box using an orange Romex cable into the converter? There is already the wires from the battery wired into the camper, I was intending to snake the orange Romex through that conduit.

I would then purchase a switch that allows me to switch between shore and generator power and wire appropriately. This is what I was considering: https://www.amazon.com/Rotary-Switc...1630051451&sprefix=blue+sea+ac,aps,199&sr=8-6

Any ideas, suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

centerline

Get yourself an automatic transfer switch... it does it all for you...
It installs anywhere in the shore power cord, which is simply cut and each cut end wired into the transfer switch... and then run the wire from the genset and wire it into the transfer switch... and its all installed....
The ATS keeps the 2 power sources seperated, even if they are both active at the same time.. the only thing you need to do for power is start the genset...

GregD904

Get yourself an automatic transfer switch... it does it all for you...
It installs anywhere in the shore power cord, which is simply cut and each cut end wired into the transfer switch... and then run the wire from the genset and wire it into the transfer switch... and its all installed....
The ATS keeps the 2 power sources seperated, even if they are both active at the same time.. the only thing you need to do for power is start the genset...
Thank you for this information, I will look into one of those. But what about the actual wire from the tongue to the ATS, is it ok to use Romex?

centerline

Yes.. as long as its big enough to handle the amperage for the length of run... one thought is to install a plug-in on the outer end of the romex so it can simply be plugged into the genset, rather than hardwiring it.. which then the genset could still be easily portable, if you desired...

6.7LMegaCab

I replaced the original ATS in my rig last year with another one from Progressive Dynamics. Less than a year later, it started doing it again. This time I observed what it was doing and noticed the box was getting very hot to the touch. Pulled the cover and noticed when it started chattering, it was because the coil wasn't pulling the contacts down all the way. When resetting the 50A breaker, if it didn't pull all the way down, it would begin to smoke. Ended up using a stick to push the contacts down and it would work fine for 10, 15, 30 minutes or all day until it did it again.

Got a new one under warranty, but I decided it was no longer worth the headache to use an ATS. With the exception of convenience and lower cost, there is zero reason to use an ATS for the majority of RVs. Look at my last couple of threads. The rotary switches are more expensive, but they are worth it!

I installed the BS #8363 panel and couldn't be happier. Zero chance of chattering.

You should run the generator for a few minutes before applying a load, with an ATS, you don't get that.

I'm not the only with that has had problems with an ATS.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

centerline

Get a quality ATS... progressive dynamics make good chargers, but their transfer switches are junk... paying a high price for something doesnt mean its quality, but it can sometimes mean that the company building them needs to cover their liability for replacements in their initial price... because they contract the build from a substandard contractor...

6.7LMegaCab

So then anything else you buy is a good chance to be made in China.

I like the BSS switch systems because at least the switches are not made in China.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk