Wiring melt? Fire Hazard? Dealer Electrical Mod!

Hi all,
We just bought a brand new 2022 Mallard model IDM210RB. Before buying we asked Camping World Bakersfield to install a Power Vent (fan) in place of the non-power vent over the bed.

During pick up I learned that they drew the needed 12v-dc from the nearby light. These are the super low power LEDs with super small gauge wires. Certainly the electric Motor draws more wattage than LED lights.

This seems like a FIRE HAZARD to me as the motor will pull more amperage than the wires are designed for. Right? Or am I way off base here?

I refuse to use the fan until I have a MUCH better idea of the hazards are.

Can I ask for input & ideas here? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
FTS
p.s. I just recently went full time, so I'm new it, and new to Mallard as well.

jerryjay11

I have replaced several of my LEDs and the wiring is the same size for all the 12v fixtures. If in doubt just check the amp size of the fuse/CB for the lights. I've also replaced a non-powered vent with a powered and used the lighting wiring. BTW the motors only draw around 1.5 amps.

Excellent feedback. I'll check and see how many lights are running off a single fuse.. if I can find out, that should go a LONG way towards making me feel 'mo bedda.

centerline

there may be small wires on the light fixture, but the wiring installed by the manufacture for the electrical runs are all fairly standard size... if you ave any doubts, you could pull a fixture and see what its wired to....

sengli

I havent had a mallard, but every fifth wheel I have owned from heartland has already had the 12v wiring run to each ceiling vent opening. Just in case you wanted to add a power fan unit. It was pretty heavy wire too.

And yes the fan would draw way more current than the LED lighting.

Right Sengli, That is what I was thinking, but the Sales-person said something different: "That power for the fan was pulled from the nearby lights" hmmm.

Now I find out the 'ol lady has been using it.. and it worked successfully for a while , BUT now it does NOT work at all.

shaking my head!!

I havent had a mallard, but every fifth wheel I have owned from heartland has already had the 12v wiring run to each ceiling vent opening. Just in case you wanted to add a power fan unit. It was pretty heavy wire too. And yes the fan would draw way more current than the LED lighting.

Update for all: Everything is fine, and works great. We were careful at first, but it is working so solid that we have started taking it for granted. Thanks to all the fine people involved.. yes, including Camping World Bakersfield

wdk450

Fuse size amperage is determined by WIRE SIZE used in the circuit. Standard 12 volt DC fuse for most of the interior lights, etc. wiring used in most Heartland RV's is 15 amps (blue). If your installed LED lights pull about 1 amp or less, there is 14 amps more on that circuit available until wire heating and fuse blowing becomes an issue.

Update for all: Everything is fine, and works great. We were careful at first, but it is working so solid that we have started taking it for granted. Thanks to all the fine people involved.. yes, including Camping World Bakersfield
Glad it's working for you! My North Trail has the non-powered vent as well, but Couch's declined to install a fan there due to the lack of wiring. I had it installed in the bathroom instead. I might look at DIYing a second one at some point. Love fans, hate AC :)