Works great no yelling!!

Hi everyone! I use the cell phone which ties into the Ford F350 Sync so he can hear me thru the radio.

Cheryl & Bill Smith
Delray Beach Fl
Cyclone 4100 King

desertden

When I am backing our 5th wheel into a site or onto the RV pad beside our home, my wife stands in front of the truck on the blind side so she can see any obstacles that I can't and I can see her so that if she signals me to stop, I do so immediately. Once the rig is lined up and going straight back, she moves to the back, off to the side so I can see her in the side rearview mirror so when she signals me to stop, I stop. Piece of cake, no radios or cameras required. Then we both get a nice cold beer!

pegmikef

Hi everyone! I use the cell phone which ties into the Ford F350 Sync so he can hear me thru the radio.

Cheryl & Bill Smith
Delray Beach Fl
Cyclone 4100 King

Thanks, that's a great idea because I have just figured out how to sync my phone with the truck (I have never had a truck that talks to you before, so I am still trying to figure it out).

Landmark50

Yes walkie-talkies are great however I'm still working on the concept of pushing the button before she talks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cavo

wyleyrabbit

One bit of caution with 2-way FRS radios.

As I understand it, the way most of them work with their channels and privacy channels is that if someone else is using the channel, your transmission won't go through...but you won't hear that they're on the channel. As an example, let's say you use channel 3-15, and someone else in the campground uses 3-09. If they're talking on the channel...you won't hear them but you won't be able to hear your DW shouting to "stop or you're going to hit the tree" either. Be careful with these.

We tried it, but had the above almost happen. I didn't think she was saying anything, but she was screaming in to the walkie but I heard nothing.

We gave up on those, and simply roll down the windows. And sometimes, I get out and look! :)

Chris

Jim.Allison

Hi all. I'm so glad to be a member of this forum, Amy and I are in the process of purchasing our Heartland Big Country 3650RL. Today I was at Costco and noticed a nice pair of walkies. The thought crossed my mind that they would solve the very problem you guys outlined above. Then I wondered if perhaps they had a voice activated headset, bluetooth perhaps. But like you guys have already suggested cell phones work the best unless you are in the boondocks.--lol I hope I did not post twice. I already posted but it disappeared......oops!

jimtoo

Hi Jim,Allison,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

When you go for your PDI, please do a very through and complete inspection.. top to bottom .. front to back. Check water and drains.. make sure you can operate every thing and every thing operates. Even try to camp at the dealership or close by to try everything out for a day or so.

If you need help with anything, the Heartland family is here.

Jim M

I love this thread. We use the "hand gestures" mostly. Still trying to get the wife to understand the if you can't see me, I can't see you thing. Our seven year old is a really big help as well. As far as the beer goes, it never occurred to me. Now I'm going to ask and pray that it goes well. LOL

Duramax1

Hi all. I'm so glad to be a member of this forum, Amy and I are in the process of purchasing our Heartland Big Country 3650RL. Today I was at Costco and noticed a nice pair of walkies. The thought crossed my mind that they would solve the very problem you guys outlined above. Then I wondered if perhaps they had a voice activated headset, bluetooth perhaps. But like you guys have already suggested cell phones work the best unless you are in the boondocks.--lol I hope I did not post twice. I already posted but it disappeared......oops!

Most radio phones have a voice activated feature.... this is activated by selecting the VOX setting.

Redtrk

I love this thread. We use the "hand gestures" mostly. Still trying to get the wife to understand the if you can't see me, I can't see you thing. LOL
Mine has her own hand gestures which leaves me clueless. Most of the time she is 3 seconds too late. Errrr!!!!

psherman1

As funny as it is, the RV (2009 21FBS Northtrail) is my toy! My husband and I use hand singals, like the Navy uses onbaord the aircraft carriers. No screaming, yelling or anything! However, just to be clear, if I can't see my husband out of one of the mirrors, I STOP! Don't care about other traffic coming through the loop etc..I STOP! He then remembers as gets back where we see each other.
Just our way!
Patricia

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
As funny as it is, the RV (2009 21FBS Northtrail) is my toy! My husband and I use hand singals, like the Navy uses onbaord the aircraft carriers. No screaming, yelling or anything! However, just to be clear, if I can't see my husband out of one of the mirrors, I STOP! Don't care about other traffic coming through the loop etc..I STOP! He then remembers as gets back where we see each other.
Just our way!
Patricia

Patricia there is nothing funny about the rig being your toy! Kudo's! I love to hear these stories and although I don't drive on a regular basis, I know I can hookup and get it home if I have to.

MonsterRide

I wonder if backing up sometimes can be over-thought? When backing into tight or difficult places I get flustered when I'm getting all sorts of hand signals. I don't feel like I need anyone to help me manage my steering wheel. The last time I backed into a spot I asked my wife to stand on the outside of the turn and give me only two signals: the first was to widen her hands to tell me how far away I am from hitting any object, the second was to tell me to STOP. I have full view of my inside angle so I don't need any help there. The third signal is once I'm straightened out to tell me when to stop backing for placement. Is there anything more to it than that?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Getting backed into our seasonal site is tricky due to trees and lack of open space. But Don, the CG owner comes along and stands alongside my truck, telling me which way and how far to move. He's a pro at it. Once I'm in a position where the TV and rig are lined up, final positioning is simple. The wife stays at the rear of the rig just to watch for the trees that will be directly behind us once we're set.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We have found a great system. My wife drives and I direct but from in front of the truck. I can see the angles that way and tell her which way to turn the wheel to back the trailer. Just use hand signals. Works perfectly. She recognizes that I can tell angles better than she can. If I point to the right she turns to the right. This turns the back to the left and vice versa. No more lost vocal chords.

In 2006 Pat & I took Dick Reed's driving school. I believe it is owned by someone else now so it is now called RV Driving School. Jerry was our instructor. One of the things he taught us was what Gary posted. First check all areas around the site you are backing into.

If you have something in the way, such as an object at the back of the site you place a limit marker. An orange cone, a post to block the wheel or such. Stand beside or in front of the TV and give directions. The driver only watches the guide. If the guide says turn right then the driver turns the steering wheel right as normal. (note the right for the guide is the left for the driver. Same as using the bottom of the steering wheel as suggested by others.).

I agree that you will not see what is in back when doing this but you have to check the back area and make adjustments before hand. What it does allow you to do is see the roof and both sides not just the back and one side.

One other thing that was strongly stressed was "GO SLOW".

Is this for everyone, no, but it is a good way to back your rig.

FWIW
BC

duane224

My wife disappears behind the trailer where I can't see her and she can't direct me into a Wal-Mart parking lot. She yells and tells me where I need to be... she has no patients. She over directs me and don't realize it takes time to correct my approach. Now I make her stand where I can see her. (I should've left her behind the trailer:rolleyes:). I have to tell her where to stand or I make it to the campground before she gets there and have no problem.

TheLindsays

This thread is so funny hearing everyone's stories.... I like watching people park & unhook or hook up also... and yes the dump station is fun too... I am sure we have been laughed at too... Yeah Patricia.... We share... well sort of... I (Julie) pretty much all the road driving and George parks because he is better than me at it and I am of course best at giving directions..lol.. we use our cell phones... I call him... his phone connects to our Ford Sync so I come in loud and clear over the radio... of course we seem to talk loud at times... possibly sounds like bouts of yelling... so the neighbors are entertained at times.. but we do pretty good together parking and setting up etc.. we each have our duties.. and to date we have made it a whole year without taking out any trees, plants, tables, other campers trucks, trailers or other personal items.... yet... :)