Yellow Jacket Vacuum Change Out-Ideas

Lynn1130

It looks like my central vacuum has given up and I am considering a swap out to a new unit. I have looked at the Dirt Devil 1500 but wonder about retro fitting. At this point I am open to all suggestions of anyone who might have done a swap out. In looking at the Diet Devil it might be a bigger job than I want.

I have considered a stand alone vacuum but really don’t want something to add more weight and storage issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on what is going wrong with your yellow jacket you might glean some info from this thread started by Porthole.

Peace
Dave

Lynn1130

Thanks. I have read all of the threads and getting in the basement and pulling the wall down to wack the unit does not interest me. Neither does pulling it out and replacing the relay and then having to do that again some time later. I appreciate the pointer but there is a point when it is best to replace a problem rather than trying to keep it going. Right now I can use it by flipping the breaker when I need it but that is Mickey Mouse too.

Garypowell

Mine is still working but I have always thought I would simply buy a 5 gallon shop vac and pipe it in. I would then set up a relay to turn it off and on.

Just a thought.

Lynn1130

Thanks. It looks like I am going to have to pull it and see what a retrofit for a Dirt Devil or something similar might involve. I can also look at it then to see about a repair but that is my last option. The other option is to get one of the stick type vacuums that collapse to a small profile.

sengli

We ended up just buying a small portable house hold type vacuum unit, and just keep it in the closet. No mess or fuss there.

LBR

We walked away from the builtin vac...shut it off after using once.

Bought a Dyson V8 Animal and never looked back at what the factory bestowed as a good idea.

WBG

WBGavin
We gave up on the built in and bought a Shark Stick. Have found it much easier to use and does a much better job.

porthole

Retired
Thanks. I have read all of the threads and getting in the basement and pulling the wall down to wack the unit does not interest me. Neither does pulling it out and replacing the relay and then having to do that again some time later. I appreciate the pointer but there is a point when it is best to replace a problem rather than trying to keep it going. Right now I can use it by flipping the breaker when I need it but that is Mickey Mouse too.

Did you get to post#7 in that link?

Lynn1130

Well, I was skeptical that a "wack" would fix it but that seems to be the case for now. We will see if it keeps working but my fingers are crossed. Thanks for the help.

jeffdee

My vacuum would not turn off today. After reading the posts I pulled the vacuum assembly and determined that the relay is sticking after it is triggered. After I wack the relay, the vacuum will stop. However, when I start it again with the low voltage wires, it stays on until I wack it. I have never been successful with changing relays on a circuit board. Any suggestions? There are no more tv repair shops that repair circuit boards.
it appears EVERYTHING associated with this vacuum has been discontinued. No parts, service, nothing from Eureka!

danemayer

My vacuum would not turn off today. After reading the posts I pulled the vacuum assembly and determined that the relay is sticking after it is triggered. After I wack the relay, the vacuum will stop. However, when I start it again with the low voltage wires, it stays on until I wack it. I have never been successful with changing relays on a circuit board. Any suggestions? There are no more tv repair shops that repair circuit boards.
it appears EVERYTHING associated with this vacuum has been discontinued. No parts, service, nothing from Eureka!
Maybe install a 120V AC wall switch running the hot wire that powers the vacuum through the switch. Then leave the relay stuck and turn on the wall switch to use the vacuum.

jeffdee

Maybe install a 120V AC wall switch running the hot wire that powers the vacuum through the switch. Then leave the relay stuck and turn on the wall switch to use the vacuum.

That’s what I had in mind if I can’t get this relay replaced.

I have searched the internet and there is nothing you can purchase to fix this with OEM parts. It is a shame because the wife loves this vacuum. I have figured out how to eliminate this circuit board for a direct power from a wall switch through the plugin at the receptacle. I’m afraid the relay might stick in the open position later. The flaw in this design is the heat from vacuum motor is pretty tough on this circuit board. This is located in the exhaust compartment of the vacuum.

D22CD257-55CA-424B-9EDD-CDE074401998.jpg

A26AE35B-AC43-459A-97E7-D8946BA778DA.jpg

Attachments

• 9FF838E3-516B-4837-AB10-38793B1DCE6E.jpeg
    9FF838E3-516B-4837-AB10-38793B1DCE6E.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 12