Yet another cracked rim

MCTalley

Old thread on this was closed.

Recap:

We bought our Big Country in fall of 2015.

In fall of 2016, I found that one of our trailer tires was low on air. Determined the rim was cracked. Contacted Tredit, they sent a new rim of an "updated design". Had tire mounted on new rim, discarded old one.

Summer of 2017, we woke up to find another low tire on the trailer. Another cracked rim. We swapped to spare and drove about 400 miles on the spare with no other spare available until we were somewhere that Tredit could send another wheel. We asked for, and were granted a goodwill gesture of them just sending us three rims so all four would be the new design.

This past Sunday we were hitching up to head out on the second leg of a 10 day trip from Florida to Washington state and found that one of our tires was low. I swapped the spare on and threw the low tire in the bed of the truck. Next day I sprayed the rim and found it was cracked just like the other two (older style rims).

With nearly 2,500 miles of travel over the next several days, we weren't able to just stop somewhere for a week and wait for a wheel to arrive. I bought a second steel rim (like the spare has) and had the tire transferred to it so we'd have a spare in case we had any other issues. I'm going to wait and contact Tredit once we get out west (next Monday).

The decision now is what we're going to do moving forward. Our current inventory consists of four Goodyear G614 tires and one Sailun G637 tire (original spare), with two white steel wheels (one original spare wheel, one new steel wheel), three good aluminum wheels and one cracked aluminum wheel.

Here are the two options we're looking at:

1. Get a replacement from Tredit. Separately, order four steel silver powdercoated rims and have the four main tires mounted on those, leaving the spare on the white steel wheel. Sell the four aluminum rims and maybe one of the white steel wheels to make up some or most of the cost of the silver steelies.

2. Get a replacement from Tredit. Have the tire on the new steel rim transferred to the aluminum rim and re-mount it on the trailer. Buy an inexpensive tire (probably a Sailun) and have it mounted on the new steel wheel. Now we'll have two spares and four aluminum wheels on the trailer. If we have a problem down the road, at least we can mount a spare and still have a spare available.

RickL

Recap:

In fall of 2016, I found that one of our trailer tires was low on air. Determined the rim was cracked. Contacted Tredit, they sent a new rim of an "updated design". Had tire mounted on new rim, discarded old one.

Summer of 2017, we woke up to find another low tire on the trailer. Another cracked rim. We swapped to spare and drove about 400 miles on the spare with no other spare available until we were somewhere that Tredit could send another wheel. We asked for, and were granted a goodwill gesture of them just sending us three rims so all four would be the new design.

This past Sunday we were hitching up to head out on the second leg of a 10 day trip from Florida to Washington state and found that one of our tires was low. I swapped the spare on and threw the low tire in the bed of the truck. Next day I sprayed the rim and found it was cracked just like the other two (older style rims).

With nearly 2,500 miles of travel over the next several days, we weren't able to just stop somewhere for a week and wait for a wheel to arrive. I bought a second steel rim (like the spare has) and had the tire transferred to it so we'd have a spare in case we had any other issues. I'm going to wait and contact Tredit once we get out west (next Monday).

The decision now is what we're going to do moving forward. Our current inventory consists of four Goodyear G614 tires and one Sailun G637 tire (original spare), with two white steel wheels (one original spare wheel, one new steel wheel), three good aluminum wheels and one cracked aluminum wheel.

1. Get a replacement from Tredit. Separately, order four steel silver powdercoated rims and have the four main tires mounted on those, leaving the spare on the white steel wheel. Sell the four aluminum rims and maybe one of the white steel wheels to make up some or most of the cost of the silver steelies.

2. Get a replacement from Tredit. Have the tire on the new steel rim transferred to the aluminum rim and re-mount it on the trailer. Buy an inexpensive tire (probably a Sailun) and have it mounted on the new steel wheel. Now we'll have two spares and four aluminum wheels on the trailer. If we have a problem down the road, at least we can mount a spare and still have a spare available.

Having been in the tire industry for 35+ yrs I find it unusual having 3-4 cracked aluminum wheels on one vehicle. Not knowing your G614 load range I’m going to guess they are LR G. If so, the wheels need to meet or exceed the weight carrying capacity of the tire. The other thing hung I would suggest is to know your weight of each tire with your rig normally loaded. Personally I adjust my tire pressure off a load and inflation chart to match what I carry. I have LR H which can take up to 125 PSI, but passed on my weight I run 108 PSI which provides with the carrying capacity I need. My tires after roughly 12,000 miles are worn evenly and have to irregular wear issues.

MCTalley

Having been in the tire industry for 35+ yrs I find it unusual having 3-4 cracked aluminum wheels on one vehicle. Not knowing your G614 load range I’m going to guess they are LR G. If so, the wheels need to meet or exceed the weight carrying capacity of the tire. The other thing hung I would suggest is to know your weight of each tire with your rig normally loaded. Personally I adjust my tire pressure off a load and inflation chart to match what I carry. I have LR H which can take up to 125 PSI, but passed on my weight I run 108 PSI which provides with the carrying capacity I need. My tires after roughly 12,000 miles are worn evenly and have to irregular wear issues.

Tires and wheels are both rated to 3750lb at 110 psi. Usually just run them all around 105 or so.

Not sure on individual wheel weights. Might be time to get some weighing done if I can find somewhere that does that down to the wheel. I might drive across a Cat scale soon and at least see what all four are carrying.

SLO

Recap:

Sorry to hear the newer design on the Tredit Summit wheel is now cracking also. Just had one of my 2016 Bighorn Summit wheels crack (cracked same place as everyone else’s) 2 weeks ago. Discovered it a Chicken AK (no cell service). Called Tredit when I got to Tok AK and had it shipped 2nd day to Fairbanks AK. Will settle up on warranty when I get home. Tredit was easy to deal with. This is the first I’d heard of the new design cracking though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MCTalley

Update.

We decided to order four steel rims (rated at 3750lb/110psi) from eTrailer to replace the aluminum rims and had them delivered to our family's home here in Washington state. I just took the tires/wheels off the trailer and took them and the new rims to a local tire store to have them swapped over. While removing the wheels from the trailer, I found a cracked spoke on the front rim on the door side of the trailer. (NOTE: the black line near the bead of the rim is a line of dirt, not a crack).

i-5Pxq9J4-L.jpg

Glad I decided on steel replacements.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Wow, that's quite a run of bad luck with Tredit wheels.I think I would let them know about it in case there is a trend. Perhaps they would refund some or all of your expenses for changing them out.

MCTalley

I will at least contact them to let them know. Probably will contact NHSTA, as well. If they want to comp me anything, that's fine, but I won't expect anything.

Here is everything swapped over.

i-DXSxmNT-M.jpg

And mounted on the trailer.

i-cxV3tCb-M.jpg

Not too shabby looking to be honest.

I still plan on getting weighed when we hit the road, though. Tredit (and others) will be curious to see if the cracking may potentially be due to overloaded wheels.

WillyBill

I have some more that are cracked just like yours. You can have them for free, lol. One brand new, two used, two cracked, one exploded. No warranty-I am not original trailer owner. Cheap China rims. Good China rims won't crack-I know because I have a "good" China set now. $625 for 6 delivered to Utah including center caps-4400 lb rated at 125 psi - I have a copy of the lab test. Not flaming here but Tredit has gotten away with selling too low a grade wheel to Heartland for too long IMHO.

WB

RickL

I would be interested in having a clear picture of the backside of the wheel. It should show the weight capacity.