Your help needed - TV to BH clearance

RollingHome

Folks I could use your help. I am new to pulling a 5th wheel. I traded my 2500HD with pull-rite slide hitch in for a 3500HD dually to give me more of a safety cushion. Since the pull-rite hitch was brand new I had it installed into the 3500HD. I am pulling a 3670RL with Trailair kingpin box. The 3500HD is closer to the trailer then the 2500HD. In fact, when I lower the tailgate it is only 1/2" away from the BH. This seems too close to make turns. I realize the pull-rite hitch will auto slide back about 7"... but, I also have rock tamer mud-flaps which hang out past the rear bumper too. In addition, the kingpin centerline seems to be slightly behind the rear axle - I thought it's supposed to be slightly in front of the axle. I will make test turns with my friend and wife watching... I just would appreciate your input before. When you guys lower your tail-gates how far are they from the BH in inches ? I guess the more appropiate questions is, how many inches between the TV bumper and BH ? Any feedback will be appreciated. In advance, thanks.

caissiel

Mine is to close to hook up the trailer with the tailgate open. I almost hit the door on the first try. Your GM has a deeper box then my Ford so the tailgate will be longer past the bumper. I had to remove the Pin Box Cover so I could freely hookup with my V notched tailgate. I to have the long wheelbase truck with my 5th wheel pin about 2 inches in front of the axle

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Tom, I just traded up to a 2500 long bed and have the same issue. My pin is now about 2-3" farther forward than on my 2500 short bed. Tailgate is closer to the front of the Horn. It does make the turn without hitting. I installed it per Huskys instructions. I like the fact that I am taking some of the pin weight and putting it on the front axle. Bob

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
This is a 2009 GMC 3500HD Dually with a Reese 16K Pro series hitch and a BH3670 sitting on it. There is no problem with clearance or turning. The gate has to be lowered in order to hitch it up, but there's more than just a 1/2" clearance. WHY would you even consider moving a 5th wheel with the tailgate down on any TV?
View attachment 7192

RollingHome

John Dar, Thanks for your reply... I'm a little confused, why would you assume I want to move the unit with the tailgate down ? I only put it down to hook up, I also did this with the 2500HD and I had plenty of clearance between the BH and tailgate with the 2500HD and now I don't. I could get between the BH and 2500HD look at the kingpin to make sure the kingpin was latched right with the tailgate down. Now I have to get on the tailgate to do the same. Of course I then close the tailgate to move the unit. I just didn't realize that 5th wheels are so close to the TV when they are hooked up with a 8' bed. I realize now this is normal and a factor of the lenght of box behind the axle. In reading the replies I received turning must not be a problem and I will be OK. The geometry just looks like the bumper will hit the BH, but I must be wrong. Bersides, the Pull-Rite slider will give me a liitle more room. I just wasn't sure my hitch installation was in the correct location either so I wanted to ask questions BEFORE i damaged stuff. Thanks again for your input.

Bob&Patty

Tom, I just reread your post. Did you say that you cant back up to hitch up with the tailgate down??? Now thats kinda weird. Are you sure that the hitch is mounted where it should be?? Go on the web and download the installation sheet and do some measuring. It will give you the correct mesurement from the rear of the bed, at least mine did. I did the same thing with my Husky hitch when I installed it. Measure twice and install/ drill once. Bob

RollingHome

Bob, I put the tailgate down on my 3500HD and backed into the kingpin. My wife told me when I did this I also "kissed" the BH with the tailgate. Fortunately I did not do any damage to the BH or tailgate (that I can see or feel). Furthermore, if I am not perfectly straight when hitching up one or the other tailgate corner will get the BH (I believe because of geometry). I also thought it wierd to be that close. But then Caissel states he too cannot hook up with his tailgate lowered, so he changed to a after market vee gate. I really wanted to keep the Chevy tailgate with a tonneau cover for obvious reasons. I had the hitch put in by a dealer and they did discuss with me the frame widened out where they wanted to put the hitch so it had to be moved back. When I saw the completed job I could not under stand why it couldn't go forward a bit more to put the kingpin just slightly in front of the rear axle. However, if they did this, I would have even less room between the BH and TV. I can now understand why others want a 1 ton truck with a short bed, I didn't understand why before. To really throw a monkey wrench in, John Dar states he has room between his tailgate and BH. I am wondering if my Trailair hitch is shorter then the standard hitch, this may be why I'm so tight. I did check with Pull-Rite and I will re-examine the installation instructions to see if I or the dealer missed something, thanks.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
"This seems too close to make turns."

Guess I misinterpreted your comment, here. I'll admit it's close with the gate down, but it's more than a 1/2". I do have to hold the gate partially up to see if the pin is securely latched in the jaws, though. One of the folks on the forum suggested painting the jaws white so they're easier to see. I probably will before I reinstall it in my truck, since it's sitting in the garage right now. The only thing I keep an eye on when manuevering (with the rig on the hitch) is the pin box cover hitting the rails for my bed cover. Probably not a concern since the pin cover has plenty of room to flex before it would be damaged. And the back of it would strike first and it's angled. But I watch it, anyways.

When the wife is with me, I'll manuever almost to the pin and then have her take the wheel while I guide her in (two-way radios). I've gotten pretty good at aligning the TV and pin, and can do the hook up myself. I put a small decal on the front cap directly above the pin and have a magnetic pole I stick on the hitch to line up on. But it's easier with help.

Bob&Patty

Tom, I understand what you are saying. Were they both the "classic" body style or the 071/2 new body style or did you go from a "classic" to the new body. There is not anything in your sig that tells us what year truck you have or had. There is a difference in the 2 trucks. Bed height is one...tailgate will be 1 1/2 " higher/longer when down as compared to the OLD body style. If I read your post right, your pin is now behind the axle?? Not centered or a little forward of the axle?? This all seems a little strange. Maybe the dealer didnt have the correct mounting system rails or something. There are plenty of people out there with the new body style trucks that dont seem to have your problem. Its my understanding that most aftermarket pinboxs are a little longer than the OEM. If that is so, then you should have more clearance from the tailgate to the front of the Horn. Call Pullright, tell them what truck your have and see what they say. Call Trailair and ask if there pinbox is shorter that the OEM. I know my distance closed up on mine...but the pin is farther forward now over the axle not behind it. Bob

RollingHome

John, I seem to be on the right tract. I was going to paint my king pin white to see it. I also was going to "TRY" to get Patti to back it up while I watch. Your post may help. Bob, I had the classic, now i have the latest and greatest... yeah right. I just wish some forum reader would reply back and say "My kingpin is in front of the axle". I will be on the phone or email Pull-Rite for an answer. I would also appreciate someone with a trailair hitch responding. Some forum reader, PLEASE respond if you have the air tire Trailair. Am I worrying for nothing or do ya think I'm off in the hook up ?

Bob&Patty

Tom, the only thing I can say is to eye-ball it. Get some masking tape..find about center of the axle/tire/ hub cap...put tape on the side of the bed high enough so you can look at the tape and the hole in the hitch and see how it sets to the axle. Heck, use a long stick or broom handle and lay it across the bed. Piece of tape, string and a plumb bob/rock/nut to find the center of the axle. Hopefully your worrying about nothing. If the hitch hole is forward of the axle...then its all good. Bob

jddugan

Rollinghome,if your 3500HD is a 2007-2010 I have an almost new (500 miles) louvered V-gate I would sell you if you decide to purchase one. I traded my 2500HD for a new F350 dually so I have no use for it now. If you will ever be in western Iowa, eastern half of Nebraska, southwest Minnesota, or southeastern South Dakota I would meet you and deliver it as opposed to try shipping it. See it here: http://www.customflowtailgates.com/tailgate.html If you're interested I'd take $175 (about 1/2 price).

RollingHome

Bob, I contacted Pull-Rite and they told me the hitch had to be installed 26-1/2" from the rear Pull-Rite mounting pin center to tailgate edge of Chevy 8' box. I am this + - 1/4" so it's put in correctly. Now I'm wondering if I have the correct Trailair hitch. I have a Trailair M15HD which is supposed to replace a Lippert king pin box (0719). It's also 12" or so back under the nose cap. I measured from the top of the hinge for the front cargo door (the tape rest on the small ledge) to the front of the king pin (not center) and it was 70". If you or someone (John Dar & Caisel hint, hint) can measure your unit the same way, this may be all I need. I may have the wrong Trailair king pin box.

JD, I'm interested in your gate, just don't know when I would be out your way, thanks.

azbound

I think I have the same TV and King Pin and I have a V Gate. Not sure exactly how much clearance I have between the Gate (down) and the 5er but is is inches. When I hook up my wife is back there and she doesn't appear to think it is all that close. I have a 09 BH 3400RL, chevy 3500 DRW, and Trailair pin.

RollingHome

Could someone with a 3670RL read the label on the Lippert KingPin box and tell me the model number. It will be one of four as follows, 0719 or 1116 or 1716 or 1621. Also, would you rest a tape measure end on top of the front cargo hold hinge (there exist a small ledge which will keep the tape end in place) now measure to the front of your kingpin and let me know what you got. I believe this is the final info I need to make a decision on the solution. In advance thanks, Tom

RollingHome

Problem Solved... I think :) Re: Your help needed - TV to BH clearance

JD & Alan, You both have a different BH then I do... but, I am going to deduce that if I HAD NOT gotten the Trailair optional kingpin box that my unit would have come with a Lippert 1621 just like yours. I had already visited the TA site and called Trailair on the phone. I agree with you both, the Trailair LO5 should have been installed not the M15 that was installed (L = Long & M = Medium). Alan, my distance is 70" about 1/2 foot shorter compared to yours. Now I contact Heartland to see what can be done. It just goes to prove to me - a human being made my unit and like me they make mistakes... Tis life :) Thanks to everyone for your input, with "Teamwork" we solved a head scratching dilemma:). I'll keep ya posted via the forum on the final outcome. Tom

2010augusta

Re: Problem Solved... I think :) Re: Your help needed - TV to BH clearance

Tom, The LM Augusta (which we have) is built on the exact same frame as the BH 3670RL and is the same floor plan. I measured to the very front of the pin on the pin box.