Zion national park RV sites

I’m looking for recommendations on RV park to accomadate our 34’ greystone, preferably on the east side of park, as we will be comming from four corners area and going through Page, Az. Our daughter is comming home from college the last week of March and just looking for a close trip from home to do some hiking. ext..

RoadJunkie

Depending on what your requirements are for hook-ups, the National Park has a campground that will accommodate your rig. The section you will need to look at is on the north side of the campground with paved spaces. There are a couple of campgrounds in Springdale, at the mouth of the NP, but I don't think I would have stayed at any of them. On the south side, about 15 miles from the park entrance, is the Zion River Resort. This is a nice campground, very nice, but there is few (like, no) commercial business in the immediate area. It is about 10 miles to the town of Hurricane, pronounced by the locals as Hurri-cun. Or, if you want to stay in the town with commercial activities, the Willow Wind is a very nice park in the town of Hurricane. Oh, do not attempt to go through the tunnel on Highway 9 off of 89 from Paige, there are height and width and length restrictions. Read about them on the NP website.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Zion River Resort in Virgin UT is an amazing park! Although its on the southwest side of the park, it is worth the drive to stay there and only a few minutes from the entrance of the park.

Rod

Thanks for the replies, I have no problem turning south at Kanab, UT. and going the extra miles if the accommodations are better on that end. Its been quite awhile since I have been n that area. around the mid 1990"s was the last time.

loganhughes

When we were there last fall, we stayed at the Mt. Carmel Motel and RV Park. It is a mile north of the Mt. Carmel junction (US 89 and UT 9) and 15 miles from Zion. The campground has only 14 sites with full hook-ups. It is family owned, has good wi-fi, and is very shaded. There's not too much in the area, but the Thunderbird Restaurant at the junction is good. It is an easy drive into Zion and you would not need to deal with the tunnel and your camper. Then if you are continuing to the other national parks in southern Utah, you could continue to the north and east.

Ducky

While Zion NP is very nice, may I suggest Bryce Canyon NP. We have stayed at Ruby's Inn Campground two times now. They have a new Large RV lot in the back with very nice large and level sites. It may only be an hour drive further north of Mt. Carmel UT. Ruby's Inn will be reopening for the season on 3/27/19 and closing 10/30/19. Safe Travels

Last edited:

SLO

Ruby’s Inn campground and Zion River Rv park are both really nice parks. Not sure if you could take your trailer through the tunnel in Zion but even if you could I don’t think I’d feel comfortable enough towing through that tunnel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

loganhughes

When we visited Zion, we came up from Las Vegas and drove through the tunnel. You have to get a permit to bring an RV or towable through the tunnel. There are size limitations and you need a permit purchased at the park. I believe the permit was $15. You can lookup the specifics on the park's web site. One other idea about camping in southern Utah....if you like to dry camp (boondock), there are many great sites in National Forests and BLM managed land. We camped in 3 such sites that were beautiful and within a few miles of the National park entrances. There is a web site that we have found very helpful....campendium.com. Give it a try.

Ducky

The Zion-Mt. Carmel Tunnel was not designed wide or tall enough to accommodate large vehicles in one lane. The park charges a $15 fee to vehicles 7 feet 10 inches wide or wider and/or 11 feet 4 inches tall or taller for two trips through the tunnel in a seven day period. Vehicles over these dimensions, including most motor homes, trailers, buses and dual wheeled pickup trucks, do not have enough room to safely pass oncoming traffic. The collected fees pay for park rangers to provide one way travel for traffic through the narrow 1.1 mile long tunnel.

Prohibitions on semi trucks, combination vehicles over 50 feet long and any vehicle over 13 feet 1 inch tall always remain in effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan54

Zion Ponderosa Ranch Resort is very nice. We stayed there for a week in March of 2018. It is high on the mountain and the view is beautiful! You can hike into the upper area of the park from nearby or it's a short drive into the park. We towed our 38' Landmark up there & we were able to select a great spot with the view right out our window!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk