Baffled by my inverter

padams63

I am in the process of buying a new 2022 Big Country 3155 RLK from a dealer. During the dealer PDI we found that the inverter wasn’t powering anything. None of the outlets were powered and the inverter didn’t appear to be on (green power light on the inverter switch inside the RV was on). I watched a YouTube video where the person giving a tour of my model stated that the inverter only powered the fridge. My fridge is not a residential fridge it is a dual power fridge of propane and electricity. Is it possible that my inverter was not installed to power any outlets other than the fridge? If so, this is a deal breaker. I walked away from the PDI without signing any contracts yet and told the dealer to call me if he can get tenRV to run off of the inverter (at least key outlets). I have dealer installed solar (380 watts) and a dealer installed 2000 watt inverter And the reason I wanted this trailer was for the boondocking capability. All that is in doubt now.

Bogie

Your answers will need to come from the dealer. Specifically, the person(s) who installed the inverter. They should be able to tell you how it is connected and what circuits it can operate. There is more than one way to accomplish that type of installation.

As the frige is dual power, it makes no sense ( at least to me) that they would power the AC side from an inverter while boondocking. While on the road maybe.

Hope you are also planning on adding additional battery capacity.

LBR

If a trailer is factory ordered with a resi fridge, they use a dedicated 1000 watt inverter, not a 2K. So your dealer has the golden key as to how they wired it. A quick visual of the transfer switch to the breaker box is all that would be needed to see how they wired it.

As to nothing working, even with the remote green lit, it could simply be that the GCFI on the inverter itself was tripped. When wired from the factory, the remote light can still light yet the inverter won't supply the transfer box any power until inverter's reset button is set.

jerryjay11

I would note that the fridge (propane/electric) is the usual 12-volt DC (battery power) on the electric side so the inverter wouldn't be involved with it anyway. As LBR stated the breaker bx should provide the answer.

padams63

If a trailer is factory ordered with a resi fridge, they use a dedicated 1000 watt inverter, not a 2K. So your dealer has the golden key as to how they wired it. A quick visual of the transfer switch to the breaker box is all that would be needed to see how they wired it.

As to nothing working, even with the remote green lit, it could simply be that the GCFI on the inverter itself was tripped. When wired from the factory, the remote light can still light yet the inverter won't supply the transfer box any power until inverter's reset button is set.
Thank you. The trailer is still at the dealer and they are committed to making it right. They are working on that and a few other issues. The dealer is Legacy RV in Salt Lake City and I have been impressed with their intent to make this flawed trailer from the factory, everything I want it to be! This dealership has given me no reason to doubt that they will take care of any issue before I physically take possession of it. Dealerships often get beat up in reviews, but so far, I am pleased with the way I have been dealt with.

Reactions: LBR

Rip

Thank you. The trailer is still at the dealer and they are committed to making it right. They are working on that and a few other issues. The dealer is Legacy RV in Salt Lake City and I have been impressed with their intent to make this flawed trailer from the factory, everything I want it to be! This dealership has given me no reason to doubt that they will take care of any issue before I physically take possession of it. Dealerships often get beat up in reviews, but so far, I am pleased with the way I have been dealt with.
Curiosity:What dealership is it?