Roof cleaner and protector

jumpinjoe

I am sure this has been discussed somewhere on this forum,I was talking to a Rv repair guy and he was telling me that it takes a special cleaner and protectant for the type of roof that is on my 2022 hartland cyclone.He did not say what product I would need but offered to do the job for me. I like to do as much maintenance on my own equipment as I can. Can anyone help me out with what I should use to clean and protect my roof?thanks

NYSUPstater

I've used liquid Spic-N-Span and a mop. Do say 3'-4' section at a time, rinse off, wet next section, repeat. Some say you can use a pressure washer, but to keep the tip in a wide pattern and NOT pencil tip. Used a protectorant 1x, but otherwise just washed the roof cple times/yr.

jerryjay11

There are 3 materials used for RV roofing...TPO, EPDM, PVC. Determine which you have to make your decision. Dicor has good videos to help you to make this determination. But I have used Dawn dish detergent which I've read from many articles of its recommendation.

Dahillbilly

just read from the Tools tab above; for cleaning a EPDM roof to use Spic-n-Span for just cleaning the roof. Question who has done this & how well did it work.

CoveredWagon

Salesman from Dicor told us yes they do have a specific brand roof cleaner, because people were wanting one by the mfg of the roof (Dicor does not actually manufacture the EPDM roof) so they came up with one to compete in the market. He told, use Dawn. I tried it, the dirt washed away, but it didn't make it sparkle and look like new. Never heard of using Spic-n-Span but I'd bet it would clean deeper. Not sure how the EPDM might like it. I'd be careful as the EPDM roof have been know to go bad. Mine did 😞

NYSUPstater

FWIW, I also tried large type Magic Erasers and they did a great job of cleaning the roof. Problem was, they disintegrated/fell apart fast and I went thru a lot of them cuz 1 pad didn't go very far. Stuck w/ the Spic-N-Span liquid w/ good results. Doesn't get the roof brand new clean or as clean as the erasers, but still a decent clean. Now that I have the Flex Armor, and really anxious to see how well it cleans.

CoveredWagon

FWIW, I also tried large type Magic Erasers and they did a great job of cleaning the roof. Problem was, they disintegrated/fell apart fast and I went thru a lot of them cuz 1 pad didn't go very far. Stuck w/ the Spic-N-Span liquid w/ good results. Doesn't get the roof brand new clean or as clean as the erasers, but still a decent clean. Now that I have the Flex Armor, and really anxious to see how well it cleans.
I can't remember what they are called but Magic Eraser has a heavy duty version. I have a box at home.

rhodies1

Use Dawn…spic n span and bleach mixed together. Cleans very well. The bleach will help remove black spots on the roof. Do not use a hard bristle brush.