Tires off the ground after using LevelUp?

I releveled prior to leaving the trailer and the back 2 axles of my Road warrior 427 are off the ground ever so slightly. Is this ok? Are they meant to hold that much weight?

Last edited by a moderator:

Todster

Re: Tires up?

If i remember correctly each ram or pair of rams are rated at 10k. I believe your ok. We’ve done the same without knowing also. And ours is a dual axle. No problems thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

avvidclif

Re: Tires up?

The combined load rating on my 6 cylinders is 56,000 lbs. 12k each front and 8k on each of the other 4.

'Lil Guy'

If it requires that much lift to level, then it will lift the tires. If I pull into an unleveled side to side situation that I see will be excessive, I sometimes pull the tires up on leveling pads to account for the extra lift so the tires stay in contact but you might need to put pads under the jacks also to keep them from overextending.

Ok, so the jacks can handle it is what I am taking front the replies. The tires that are up are not up far. The only way you would really know is if you try and spin them.
Thanks all

Cheers

mlpeloquin

Tires lifted off the ground is only one of the reasons I do not use the auto level function. Every time that my tires lifted off the ground I would retract it and manually level. I could level it without having the tires lift off the ground most of the time. I use wood blocks under the jacks and check just how level the site is prior to jacking and leveling. As long as the fifth wheel is within one degree of level I don't use leveling pads under my tires. Beyond that I do, and it is only on one side.

gasman

Camp Socializer
I have found that if I lower the front end a little prior to auto leveling, the wheels seldom if ever are lifted off the ground. The drawback to this is that the "return to hitch" will not function.

porthole

Retired
I releveled prior to leaving the trailer and the back 2 axles of my Road warrior 427 are off the ground ever so slightly. Is this ok? Are they meant to hold that much weight?

The auto level jacks as long as there are no leaks, can support the entire weight of the trailer, off the ground if needed with capacity in reserve. When LevelUp was installed on our trailer the front jacks were rated at 14K each. That is double the GVRW when it was new. And there are still 4 more jacks.

The only drawback I have found over the years with the tires being off the ground is it seems it always ends up being the door side, increasing the already high first step. When that happens I just re-level manually, lifting as little as possible.

Having tires in contact with the ground could be a good idea, if the brakes or wheels were mechanically locked.

Someone mentioned over extending the jacks. You can't do that. What you can do do is possibly hitting the extension limit on one jack while another is still extending. This would load the frame unequally.
Because I moved our rear jacks up to get driveway clearance, there are times I will find one of the rear jacks fully extended and not in contact with the ground (typically the right rear).

That tells me two things, one that I need to retract and add blocks underneath the jacks and two, that one center jack is capable of lifting the entire side off the ground.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I use the level up to rotate the tires, perform maintenance, etc. The jacks supported the whole rig for 2 days during my disc brakes upgrade. Numerous times one sides tires have been off the ground without consequence.
They are more than capable to support the rig’s weight for an extended period

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYSUPstater

Guess you could look at it another way as well. The front legs are always down and supporting the front of the coach all the time. We too, observed one side (tires) coming off the ground at home upon hitting auto-level. Odd yes, but no biggy. We place boards under the level up pads to limit the amt the legs have to extend. So far so good. One thing I found out by accident when installing the wet bolts/shackles is that I used the level up to raise all 4 tires off the ground which made it MUCH easier to remove all 4 tires, remove/install on opposite side wet bolts & shackles. Likewise, can use 1 side of level up to raise coach to change a flat if need be.

avvidclif

One thing to watch for and be careful of when having all 4 or both tires on one side off the ground is that the center shackles don't flip over. That can happen and from what I hear it's a bear to get back right. Attached is a picture of the Correct-Track center shackle in the correct position. If either flips the end of the spring will be below the center pivot. It's kinda hard to see but the spring ends are hooked to a link just visible over the tires and that ties to the center pivot which is below the spring end. The link with the spring ends should be above the pivot point. My description is not very good so if anyone wants to spell it out better or edit my message help yourself. No offense will be taken.

Did I mention I hate the iPhone for pictures. You never know if they will be Ok or sideways.

Attachments

• IMG_1746 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1746 (Medium).JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 91
Thanks all, We dropped the front and re-leveled, no more issue. Not to mention getting the jacks lower to the ground decreased the wobble of the trailer.

Thanks,

Cheers

Piperflyer

One thing to watch for and be careful of when having all 4 or both tires on one side off the ground is that the center shackles don't flip over. That can happen and from what I hear it's a bear to get back right. Attached is a picture of the Correct-Track center shackle in the correct position. If either flips the end of the spring will be below the center pivot. It's kinda hard to see but the spring ends are hooked to a link just visible over the tires and that ties to the center pivot which is below the spring end. The link with the spring ends should be above the pivot point. My description is not very good so if anyone wants to spell it out better or edit my message help yourself. No offense will be taken.

View attachment 56020 Normal Suspension View attachment 56021 Shackle flipped

You don't want to run your rig on the road with the shackle links flipped like this. And yes it is a pain in the butt to get them back to normal.