Trailer Purchase - What to look out for

Dan54

We are looking at replacing out 2011 Landmark with a newer or new Big Horn or Big Country. Seven years ago when we bought the Landmark from General we didn’t know what to look for & of course General hurried use thru the check out process so there were several things we missed & had to live with or pay for out of our own pocket.
This time around I would like to have a checklist to systematically go thru before signing off on a purchase. I remember how excited I was about the prospect of a new trailer last time which contributed as well. Give me your thoughts on what I should be sure to check as we go thru this process. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sengli

Sadly just cause its new these days, doesnt mean a lot in terms of potential issues on the coach. Best of luck on the new rig. The little things are something you can fix, I would really look at the slides, windows, bay doors fit..... and above all make sure you dont come across any leaks!

arisce

I would be very serious when inspecting your rig. Bring paper and paper
and check off the Heartland list as you go through your rig. Also take pictures of defects.
When you go do not be in a hurry. Take your time. Save a lot of time later. Finally don't settle for their word when they say" we'll fix that later" attitude. Get it in writing.
Good luck. But be prepared.

Dan54

You will find the pre delivery checklist here.
Eighth file from the bottom.

Peace
Dave

Thank you Dave. Interesting, when I opened the file it’s the same one I found online. An apparently small internet RV help site is using it as well.

david-steph2018

Dan54, when you go for the PDI (walk-thru), take some couples of the PDI with you.
Story here, when we bought our Road Warrior, we were talking to one of the owners. When the discussion of the PDI came up, I handed him a copy of the PDI we were going to do.
We came back the next morning and spent about 5 hours, with a tech, and found several items needing attention. Then I came back later in the week and spent overnight in the rig on their lot using different systems. The next morning handed them a list of items I found during the night.

We are looking at replacing out 2011 Landmark with a newer or new Big Horn or Big Country. Seven years ago when we bought the Landmark from General we didn’t know what to look for & of course General hurried use thru the check out process so there were several things we missed & had to live with or pay for out of our own pocket.
This time around I would like to have a checklist to systematically go thru before signing off on a purchase. I remember how excited I was about the prospect of a new trailer last time which contributed as well. Give me your thoughts on what I should be sure to check as we go thru this process. Thanks!

Hey Dan,

First off, great choice. Heartland makes great trailers. Here's a word of warning, though: If you don't want to go through what I've been going through for months...

... DON'T BUY YOUR RV FROM COUCH'S RV NATION, located next to the factory.

So what is it I'm dealing with?

The trailer was delivered to me last October, at my home in Ontario, Canada, by the dealership. With human waste in the holding tank. With AC receptacles without a GFCI fault interrupter anywhere, let alone near the sinks. With under-capable fuses. With a pile of dirt sitting in the middle of the floor. With broken fixtures and furniture. And, perhaps most importantly (and obviously, given the state of things itemized above), it failed inspection. Not considered safe in my province, upon delivery. I had to fight them hard and mean to get them to reimburse ANY of the cost of rectifying these things, and they STILL owe me $1,017 CAD for the extra inspection fees that were necessary.

In short, it's my personal belief that Couch's sold me a unit they had been partying in and using for parts, and that they never bothered to bring it back up to standards--let alone inspect it pre-delivery--before they handed it off. I'm 100% satisfied that it didn't arrive at Couch's from the factory like that.

So.

a) I highly recommend Heartland as a brand.
b) I strongly warn you against doing any business whatsoever with Couch's RV Nation.
c) I'm out $1,017 CAD for an extra inspection I never would have needed if the trailer was properly certified for the jurisdiction into which they delivered the unit in the first place (which they assured me it would be: I asked specifically).
d) I'm not done with Couch's yet, and won't be until they reimburse me the extra $1,017 CAD that I'm still out-of-pocket for. Until then, I'll continue to escalate.

Bogie

A through check list is your best friend.

From my experience on my last coach purchase.....As it was in Oregon and I was in California, I negotiated the price over the phone and email. But, it was subject to inspection. No papers were signed of money exchanged until I was satisfied. Then we traveled to Oregon.

Take your checklist. Take what ever you need to inspect. Coveralls, creeper (for underneath), a ladder if necessary, good flashlight. Ask for a water hose connect to and inspect the plumbing.

I let the tech go through the coach with me, then dismissed him but told him to be nearby so I could find him. Then I spent an additional 3 hours going over the RV. Gave them a list of items. They agreed to fix all but one thing the next day. Then we signed the papers.

Spent the night in the RV in their holding lot. Found a couple of other minor issues. They fixed all but that one item the next day and we were on our way. Also had an appointment for a return to get the one item they couldn't fix immediately taken care of.

The dealership was fantastic. Might as well give them a plug here. It was Guarantee RV in Junction City Oregon. They have changed hands now and are Bish's RV, so I can't assure everything is as good as it was 2018. But it's worth checking out to see.

Bottom line.....It's all really up to you to inspect the product before signing. If the dealer won't let you inspect the coach thoroughly at your own pace. Walk away.

Hey Dan,

First off, great choice. Heartland makes great trailers. Here's a word of warning, though: If you don't want to go through what I've been going through for months...

... DON'T BUY YOUR RV FROM COUCH'S RV NATION, located next to the factory.

So what is it I'm dealing with?

The trailer was delivered to me last October, at my home in Ontario, Canada, by the dealership. With human waste in the holding tank. With AC receptacles without a GFCI fault interrupter anywhere, let alone near the sinks. With under-capable fuses. With a pile of dirt sitting in the middle of the floor. With broken fixtures and furniture. And, perhaps most importantly (and obviously, given the state of things itemized above), it failed inspection. Not considered safe in my province, upon delivery. I had to fight them hard and mean to get them to reimburse ANY of the cost of rectifying these things, and they STILL owe me $1,017 CAD for the extra inspection fees that were necessary.

In short, it's my personal belief that Couch's sold me a unit they had been partying in and using for parts, and that they never bothered to bring it back up to standards--let alone inspect it pre-delivery--before they handed it off. I'm 100% satisfied that it didn't arrive at Couch's from the factory like that.

So.

a) I highly recommend Heartland as a brand.
b) I strongly warn you against doing any business whatsoever with Couch's RV Nation.
c) I'm out $1,017 CAD for an extra inspection I never would have needed if the trailer was properly certified for the jurisdiction into which they delivered the unit in the first place (which they assured me it would be: I asked specifically).
d) I'm not done with Couch's yet, and won't be until they reimburse me the extra $1,017 CAD that I'm still out-of-pocket for. Until then, I'll continue to escalate.
With you on this one! Love Heartland, not so much Couch's. I'm in Ontario as well, but luckily, I picked up, so I was able to do a PDI myself before accepting the unit. Before purchase, I specifically asked about their "service network" and I swear the guy just quickly googled "RV service in Burlington Ontario" and gave me that name! When a minor problem arose, I called the dealer they'd given me and they just laughed and gave me a hard no. I couldn't find a single place within 500 miles (including into New York state) that would perform warranty service. Couch's just directed me to the Heartland dealer locator. Luckily, Heartland stepped up and quickly and unquestioningly authorized repair with a mobile tech, and luckily, I got an awesome, solid unit that I love!

NYSUPstater

I'm on board with the others above on having a checklist and TAKE your sweet 'ol time going thru everything. Do NOT hand over any final monies until your satisfied.

In regards to the 2 posters who purchased from Couches, the same can be said about General RV as well based on stories of Alliance owners. We bought our '18 BC from Couches and have been 100% satisfied w/ the coach and them. Now this was 7 years ago when we purchased it and had no issues upon p/u and just a cple small things I took care of when home. HL did have a issue w/slide in slide which was NOT Couches fault to which HL took care of. So it's possible the service side of Couches has gone downhill since '17, but hey things do happen and possible.