Water weeping from hot water tank pressure valve.

Sudsman

My 12 gal suburban water tank has been weeping water from the pressure / temperature valve. I replaced it with a new valve and filled the tank. As soon as it reaches full temperature, it begins to weep. What am I doing wrong? It’s driving me crazy. Thanks in advance!

Bob.jr

Sounds like you need a water pressure regulator.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Bob.jr

Ok, maybe, reset the water pressure regulator .
I've had problems with those in the past.

rhodies1

Also when filling the tank keep the pressure relief valve closed. Your water heater must have a small amount of air at the top for expansion. If you open the pressure valve and allow air to escape your tank will fill to the top. When the water expands there is no room and it forces the pressure valve open to release pressure and water escapes.

Bob.jr

I'm still quessing it's a defective water pressure regulator.

hoefler

The valve is a temperature/pressure relief valve
Possibly the thermostat is bad for the water heater, and heating to hot

Sudsman

Also when filling the tank keep the pressure relief valve closed. Your water heater must have a small amount of air at the top for expansion. If you open the pressure valve and allow air to escape your tank will fill to the top. When the water expands there is no room and it forces the pressure valve open to release pressure and water escapes.
I made sure to drain about half the tank from the anode plug, with the pressure relief valve closed, to be sure I have an air gap at the top. after heating it up, still weeping!

Sudsman

The valve is a temperature/pressure relief valve
Possibly the thermostat is bad for the water heater, and heating to hot
Hummm, the relief valve is preset to 210 degrees, I replaced it just in case. The water gauge I have is telling me my water is 131 degrees. stumped.

MDH2021

Hello Sudsman,

When I dewinterized our camper this spring I had the same issue. I tuned off the water heater to let it cool down then opened the T & P valve a couple of times to let some water out. I noticed some lime scale came out and the weeping stopped. I did not flush the water heater before winterization last fall. When I dewinterize I open the T & P valve to confirm air is coming out at the valve then shut it and open the hot water in the bathroom until to let air out then shut it when a full stream of water is coming out. Then open the rest of the hot water faucets until air is out of the line. For me I think I caused some lime scale to get stuck in the T & P valve.

jerryjay11

002290_1.jpg
You could also add a water accumulator that will allow for water expansion and prevent water surge (bang). It can also extend the life of the water pump by preventing it short cycling.

P.S. the accumulator above is also known as an expansion tank.

Last edited:

Thystra

If you have a back flow preventer installed on your water line, it is probably due to water expansion and system pressure rising. If the problem goes away when the backflow preventer is removed, then you should add an expansion tank. I had the same issue and with the installation of the expansion tank, the problem went away.

Sudsman

I have done the open slam shut thing on the T P valve air a bunch of times. Still weeping. Where in the system does the expansion/accumulator tank go? And does it only work when using the water pump? All my issues are while using city water.
Thanks everyone you your advice!