mpg towing with Ford super duty

I am kicking around the idea of trading for a Ford 250 or 350 super duty diesel with 3.73 gears.
Can any one with this setup tell what kind of milage I can expect towing my 3055RL?

CrazyScotsman

Will it have the 6.0 or 6.4 diesel, or the V10 ?
With my F350 with 6.0 and 4:10 rear ends I get between 7.5 and almost 9 mpg's depending on wind etc. That is towing a 3580 RL
Even running on it's own it gets around 11-12 mpg in town, If I am lucky 14 on freeway. I don't have a lead foot either, now my DW will tell you different.

2010augusta

I also have the 6.0 TD in our F-450 4x4. I get between 6.9 and 9.8 MPG towing a fully loaded Augusta at speeds between 55 and 70 MPH. I easily get around 14 with out a trailer. I know I probably have lower gears, so you might be able to get better numbers.

I am surprised by the low numbers people are reporting for their diesels. We just bought a BC3490RB a month ago. On flat ground with calm winds my '06 Ford F250 6.0 is between 11mpg and 12mpg @ 60mph. Without the 5ver I get 17-20mpg doing the same speeds.
We previously had a 30' TT and I find the mileage has not changed dramatically and it weighs easily 5000lbs more loaded and the new rig has a much bigger front end for more wind resistance.
I always thought this truck was hard on fuel! I am supposed to be getting a new '09 Ford 6.4 any day now (delivery was scheduled for May 28th :O) and am hoping we get the same mileage (I actually hope better).

Cheers,

Dale

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have the 7.3 diesel with 3.73 and get 10 - 12 towing and 16-18 not towing. We do have the complete Banks system also.

bill40

I with Ray on this one but have to admit I like th look of the super duty. Truck has a nice stance in 4x4 DWR set up. That said my mpg are up there with Jim and his 7.3. Could be the 4:10 is affecting the mpg. I know the Banks does help on this at least on mine it did.

talley

2006 Ford F250 super duty 6.0 3.73 currently traveling US59N from Lake Livingston. Have not placed pencil to paper... but if you ccan believe the insturment panel MPG ... then we are getting 12.9 MPG at the peak of a slight rise in the road. Towing BH with total weight 22480. We get about 14 MPG on general driving about town and 18MPG on highway (non-tows).

Jerry

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
:eek:From a Chevy to a Ford!!!:eek: Oh No! :D:D
As bill40 said, the Super Duty is one awesome looking truck. Too bad we cant have a Ford/Cummins/Allison combo. GM ruined their crew cab when they changed the configuration of the back seat. Much less room than before, especially when folded.

ccd001

mpg for Ford SD 6.4 powerstroke

I traded my 07 Chev HD on a 2008 Ford SD F250 4x4 with 6.4 diesel 3.73 gr. I have the 3055 BH and last Feb I went to Florida from Indiana 2,200 mile round trip and truck averaged 10.0 mpg while towing. I get 15 mpg around town and 17 on highway. I love the truck it's the lariat with the
20" wheel package. I'm 55 yrs old and this is the nicest truck I've
owned. By the way I did put air bags on the rear springs to help with rear
sag and stablity. This 6.4 powerstroke has plently of power and is real quiet inside the cab. I hope this helps you with your decision.
CD

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I traded my 07 Chev HD on a 2008 Ford SD F250 4x4 with 6.4 diesel 3.73 gr. I have the 3055 BH and last Feb I went to Florida from Indiana 2,200 mile round trip and truck averaged 10.0 mpg while towing. I get 15 mpg around town and 17 on highway. I love the truck it's the lariat with the
20" wheel package. I'm 55 yrs old and this is the nicest truck I've
owned. By the way I did put air bags on the rear springs to help with rear
sag and stablity. This 6.4 powerstroke has plently of power and is real quiet inside the cab. I hope this helps you with your decision.
CD[/quote

You are right on with that mpg on the new Ford diesels. My 08 V-10 gets 8.5 mpg towing my 8600 lb Sundance, 13 mpg average not towing.

caokgafamily

3 years ago I pulled a Cardinal Bunkhouse all over the US about a 6000 mile trip. The Cardinal loaded weighed about 11.5 K. After I got home I figured my mpg from all my reciepts / by the total miles driven. My 05 Ford 250 crew cab 4x4 6.0 got 10.6 for the whole trip. That is also when I started having head gasket problems. Since then My heads have been fixed and the truck has been great. I hope and pray it continues next week as we depart for the same trip. I think my head gasket probs were a result of the programer "hypertech" I was using at that time . My truck is stock now.

caokgafamily

Jimmy,
I would have to agree with you. I can't believe all the BS I here from folks who lie about there great mileage towing?

CrazyScotsman

Maybe the folks telling the lies are owners like my next door neighbour, if I said my P/stoke got 20 MG he would say his Dodge gets 30+mpg .
It would be good if the Fords had the Cummins motors in them. Good looks, good motor, the ideal truck..