Bumps under wallpaper

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
A few weeks ago my wife and I noticed a few bumps appearing under the wall paper above the facia of the main slide. They appear to have gotten worse. It does not appear that the paper is bubbling but that the bumps are pushing against the paper from underneath. You can feel the bumps under the wall paper when you run your hand over it. It does not appear or feel wet, so I don't think there is a leak causing this. Our coach is out of warranty, but I was wondering if you are aware of this happening with other coaches and if you know what is causing this problem. I would like to be able to order replacement paper for the wall. I want to take the paper off and investigate further and perhaps repair what ever is causing this.

Attachments

• DSC00200.JPG
    DSC00200.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 152

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Fred and Lizzie...WOW, that's something I've not seen before, but I'm not so sure I'd rule out water intrusion. I think I'd have to pull the paper off and see what's behind that, especially since it seems to be getting worse...Good Luck, and keep us informed. Kathy

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Asking again.

Well, let me try this one more time. I am still having issues with the bumbs behind the wall paper and it is spreading to other areas of the coach. It is not the paper bubbling, there are bumps rising up out of the wall board behind the paper.
Have there been any other issues, have you seen this before and has there been a solution or fix to the problem? I realize I am out of warranty, but if there is some solution, I would like to know that before I start tearing wall paper off and sanding my walls down. If this is something new, then let me know and I will figure out a way to deal with it.
The pictures are from over the main slide, between the rear side window and main slide, and above the bedroom slide facia. We also have the same thing happening behind the sofa, below the window in the main slide.
Thanks
Fred

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    614.1 KB · Views: 161
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    643.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    659.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    618.5 KB · Views: 113
K

Kevin_Finn

Have you had any sort of water leak that would cause standing water in the unit for a period of time while in high temperature and humidity?

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
We have been living in the BH full time for the last two years. We have been in S. Texas since Jan. I had a second AC installed in June and they have run, practically, 24/7 since then. So the humidity has been low, in the trailer. We had a small leak on the rear of the main slide, in the spring of '08, but I repositioned the seal on the outside and have no problems since, so no there have been no significant leaks or high humidity level, that I can think of. That was my first thought too. I guess the next step will be to remove the paper and see what it looks like underneath. Thanks for the response. Is the wallpaper available for purchase from Heartland?
Thanks
Fred

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Since it's badly damaged already, I'd be inclined to take a sharp box cutter and surgically open one of the larger blisters before pulling off the wall paper or thin wall board (it's about 1/8" thick MDF) to examine the nature of the failure. One thing about MDF (medium density fiberboard, aka. wood dust and glue) is if it gets wet, it swells like a sponge and is generally not repairable. Most likely the entire wall board/wallpaper will need to be replaced. I say it's MDF because I had to reglue the wall of my living room slide after the few brads they shot into the soft wood nailer/stud behind it along the edge failed to hold it. Behind the wall panels is mostly styrofoam.

Hart

Hate to say that this looks similar to a"pimpled ceiling" we had in a travel trailer a few yrs back. It was a new, LEMON unit , not a Heartland product. Ours turned out to be water damage; source of water entry could not be detected by dealer. You may want to take a straight pin or sewing needle & prick a few holes to find out if you have moisture behind it. If you can borrow a marine moisture meter, that would give you clear indication as to your situation. Best of luck!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Fred...I hate to say this, but I think that may be some kind of mold or fungus spreading under the wallpaper. Have either of you had respiratory problems while this has been happening? The one pictures looks like the wallpaper has a red tinge to it...is that what I see?

I think you really need to open it up and see what's going on there...:confused:

FennerJ

Heartland Dealer Service
the pimpling is caused from water intrusion. my guess is that it is not from the slide out seals because that would not give the water access to the interior of the walls. I would go to the exterior of the unit and pull the molding holding the rubber roof on as well as check the white trim that goes around the slide out (the molding that the seals are attached to) and verify that all of your sealant is in tact. this unit will need to get into a dealership as well because the wall panels will needs to be sanded down and overlayed.

that is what I see in the pictures and past experience tells me that it is definitely water.

Last edited:
I have a 2008 3055RL I had it stored all winter indoors until May 2010. I bought it last fall as a holdover 08, so I have not even had it a year. I too behind the Couch and the roof around the 12 volts recessed lights have bubbles coming from under the wall paper. It looks like a glue separation from the backing, it could be from moisture I'm not sure, this unit has been in the driveway most all of these 3 months this year. I will try to post pictures taken. We just noticed over the 4th July wknd.View attachment 9290View attachment 9289

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have a 2008 3055RL I had it stored all winter indoors until May 2010. I bought it last fall as a holdover 08, so I have not even had it a year. I too behind the Couch and the roof around the 12 volts recessed lights have bubbles coming from under the wall paper. It looks like a glue separation from the backing, it could be from moisture I'm not sure, this unit has been in the driveway most all of these 3 months this year. I will try to post pictures taken. We just noticed over the 4th July wknd.View attachment 9290View attachment 9289
Chesapeake, As suggested by the Factory to the original poster, you should get your trailer to a your dealer ASAP for them to inspect. Hopefully you received a 1 year warranty with your purchase.

K

karykatz

Chesapeake,

I would recommend having your dealer check this out when you get a chance, but we would really like to see pictures if you can post them. Thanks for your input.

Chesapeake,

I would recommend having your dealer check this out when you get a chance, but we would really like to see pictures if you can post them. Thanks for your input.[/QUOTE

I did post two pictures look at my post again the second picture is a better picture.

I have talked with two heartland service centers about this issue and both told me water intrusion. I called the factory and spoke with them sent pictures of the inside and the outside of the slide out where the issue is. We will be confirming a date to take the unit to Elkheart as the other service centers do not have the ability to pull the slide off the unit if it may need to come off to inspect and do the work properly. Thanks for all the input and help Curt

I have a 2009 Cyclone 3912 and recently notices the "pimples/bubbles" on my walls also. I recently repaired a small hole on the roof near the section where the bubbles are happening so I believe your problem is more than likely water leaking somewhere.. The bubbles took a while to appear after I patched the leak..

Later

mrnextstep.. When I was unloading and removing things from the camper to take to Elkhart to have warranty work done I noticed 2 small bubbles under my desk on the wall of that slide also. It was mentioned to the repair place also. I called them 3 days after unit was dropped off, and I was told that the floor in that slide which only had 2 small bubbles was rotten as well. The larger slide with couch and dinning table had a much worse visual look so when they get into it I suspect the same or worse with it. There was no one closer than the factory authorized repair in Elkhart that has the equipment to pull a slide off of the camper if it needed to be done. Otherwise I could have had the wooden inside wall and wallpaper replaced locally with no idea that there was damage deeper in the slide. I would have a authorized dealer look at the unit while under warranty if possible. Good luck