No-Fuss Flush Flow Rate

Recently purchased a new North Country 30BHS. With a clean black water tank I tested the No-Fuss Flush using a water outlet on my home. The black water valve was open the whole time.

It sounded like it was doing something but I wasn't very impressed with the water flow coming out of the black water drain considering the hose pressure. It didn't seem strong enough to clean all the surfaces inside the tank, much less move any debris.

Can someone shed some light on what I should expect from this system?

Thanks!

Boca_Shuffles

With a brand unit unit and a clean tank, I wouldn't expect to see much of interest, just clean water.

We just bought our unit and I was impressed with the flush unit the first time I unit the RV for a week. After emptying the tank the normal way, I was impressed by the extra toilet tissue that was cleaned out. I have a clear hose connector that I use.

Simple physics should be that water in equals water out. If you have good hose pressure, that should be what you see going out. Try filling a bucket from the hose. If it takes 1 minute to fill the bucket, then it should take about 1 minute when you are back flushing.

If you don't see the bucket of water in the 1 minute, you might have a kink in the hose in the RV. Like putting a kink in your garden hose, a kink in the internal back flush hose with restrict the volume.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
If you don't see the bucket of water in the 1 minute, you might have a kink in the hose in the RV. Like putting a kink in your garden hose, a kink in the internal back flush hose with restrict the volume.

My previous trailer had a black tank flush line that was folded in half where it went through the floor! This was the reinforced white hose that most manufactures have replaced with the PEX tubing.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
The water going in is coming through a 1/2", 5/8", or 3/4" inch hose (depending on what you are using), but is coming out through a 3" pipe. You can expect it to look and sound significantly slower. Second the recommendation on the clear sewer pipe adapter. While "watching" what is coming out is always pleasant:eek:, it does give you a good idea of how well the system is working and when the flow has stopped.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Had the trailer out this past weekend...still not convinced the flush is working properly. At the dump I:

1. Drained black
2. Drained gray
3. Dumped 7 gallons of water into the toilet
4. Dumped black again
5. Ran the flush until a semi-clear fluid trickled out (that's the best it would do)

Back at the house I was able to get few more buckets of dark water (and other small objects I'm sure we've all seen) from the tank by running the flush again. I'm with Boca Shuffles on the water in equals water out synopsis. In fact, that's sparked my original post.

The hose I'm using can fill a ~2-3 gallon bucket I have in ~45 seconds on full blast. When I attach the same hose to the trailer with the same pressure it takes almost 3 minutes to fill the same bucket.

I had the trailer at the dealer a couple of weeks ago for some warranty work and asked them to demonstrate the flush system "working", and by that I mean with enough throughput to actually be considered a flush. Their hose didn't seem to have enough pressure to pull this off and that was the tech's excuse. I'm planning to rattle my sabre more on this.

I'm also starting a dialog with Swan Industries, the No-Fuss Flush manufacturer, to ensure my expectations are in-line with what their system will do. In my mind calling something a No-Fuss Flush is self explanatory. I should be able to dump black, then gray, then attach the hose, turn on the water, and wait for a reasonable flow water to flush out the remaining debris and start flowing clear - that's no fuss. Unfortunately, that's not what my system does.

I'll post again if I can make some progress on this.

Thanks again!

DMitch

5PoundBass, My experience has been similar, I have found that the flush system tries to clean up the tank but doesn't have trhe water flow to wash the junk out. I found that flushing for a few minutes then closing the black water valve to let some water build up in the tank then releasing it seems to work much better.

Tom of Ypsi

Be very carefull when closing the black tank valve when using the no mess flush system. Some people have forgotten about the closed tank and have had a mess in their coaches. DO NOT let anyone or anything detract you from what you are doing.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Hey Tom are you talking about me? I thought we were going to forget about that!:D

porthole

Retired
Just a suggestion.

Assuming your gray tank is full or near full. I usually try and dump my black tank when I have a reasonably full gray.

Dump the black - use the flusher.
Using clear extension with a valve on your sewer discharge pipe.
Close the black and the accessory valve
Open the gray, open the black, let both find their "equal" level.

This allows 10-20 gallons of water to rush into the black tank.

Close the gray, open the accessory valve and drain the black with the flush running.

You could then close the accessory and the black, open the gray once more to help clean out the black pipe then finish by dumping your gray tank/s.

It is much easier done then trying to explain here :D and only takes an extra minute or 2.

Jimmyt5

You are more then likely using a 5/8 id hose for input,the water line in the rv is smaller so you get less volume.:)

conveyman

Garbage in the holding tanks

The first time that I dumped mine I was at home and I ran clean water thru it and out came chucks of wood and saw dust. The plant is not very clean about keeping stuff out of those tanks.

Gizzy

Re: Garbage in the holding tanks

I have only drained/flushed the tanks 2 times so far and was not impressed with the results. On our old TT I used a Flush King (FK) along with the magic wand and they worked great.
On our new BH3070 it would be difficult to install the FK due to the swing out adapter being in the way. If I do remove it, the fitting where the hose connects is way back under the coach and it would be hard to attach the FK.
I will try it again and see if I get any better results and if not I will figure out the best way to use the FK once again.