more sq. feet

Bobby A

Read in a recent RV magazine that the RVIA has increased the square footage for 5th wheels from 400 to 430 square feet. Does Heartland have plans on increasing the square footage on 5th wheels ?? If so, what brands and model #'s ??

tcbrady

We have a number of units that are very close to 400 sq ft. All Landmarks are close to 400 along with the larger Bighorn and Big Country floorplans. In addition, the Cyclone 3950, 3850, 3812 are all around 400 sq ft.

thanks,

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
My 3670 has four slides and I believe I read somewhere that mine is at 396 sqft. I could be wrong, seeing as how I am working from memory, and Elizabeth says that is not always a good thing.:eek::eek:
Fred

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Coley:
Does the square footage, on the Cyclones, include the garage or just the living areas?
Thanks
Fred

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Does HL have any plans to go to the 102" width. Several SOBs are already there and have been.

Bobby A

We have a number of units that are very close to 400 sq ft. All Landmarks are close to 400 along with the larger Bighorn and Big Country floorplans. In addition, the Cyclone 3950, 3850, 3812 are all around 400 sq ft.

thanks,

Coley,
Do you have plans on making any units to the 430 sq. feet ??

CrazyScotsman

Does HL have any plans to go to the 102" width. Several SOBs are already there and have been.

If they make a trailer 102" wide, they wouldn't be able to have an awning installed, because that would put the width over the legal width which is 102" . Can't see many owners buying oversized permits to go down the road.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Ken...there are many wide-body coaches out there with awnings already...on both sides of the unit as a matter of fact. Just look at Tetons, Carriage Royals, etc. Never heard anyone say they needed a permit....

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
There was a lot of discussion about this a few years ago in California. At the time it was wide body motor homes with slides and awnings on both sides. I've heard very little about it lately.

RVCamper

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/trucks/trucksize/width.htm

For Calif:
102" but:

"35103. (a) A recreational vehicle may exceed the maximum width if the excess width is from an appurtenance that does not exceed six inches beyond either sidewall. (b) An appurtenance is an integral part of a vehicle and includes awnings, grab handles, lighting equipment, cameras, and vents. An appurtenance may not be used as a load carrying device."

CrazyScotsman

On commercial vehicles in the US, the legal limit is 102" wide. My neighbour who was an RV hauler for a while, told me he hated crossing the AZ weigh station, because they made him get an oversize permit, if an awaning was installed on the trailer. ( I take everything he tells me with a Pinch of salt ) Mike Jarret will know the answer though.
I think maybe the way RV'ers get away with it, is because they never go over the State weigh stations. IMHO