Trail-Air Equalizers

wdk450

Gang:
I want to inform all of you of something I found on the suspension system of my 07 Bighorn 3670RL.

After numerous postings here on suspension problems, I had the suspension inspected by a 30 year experienced, certified, 3rd party RV service facility. They found 3 of the 4 springs flat (another story) and BOTH OF THE EQUALIZERS HAD WELDS THAT WERE COMING APART.
I had the springs and equalizers replaced during my current long stay in Oregon at a similarly qualified 3rd party RV service center in Eugene. They gave me the old equalizers. The welds from the top plate to the side plates did not show evidence of "sticking" to the side plates. The welds did not crack, they were not performed correctly in manufacture (side plate metal did not get heated enough?).

I am trying to contact Trail-Air for some rebate on this.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Photos photos please!
Ask for the welders Cert. # 8 digit number, 'NITC' National Inspection Testing Certification.
I believe one bad weld requires 5 future welds to be tested at random.

My Cert. expires 10/31/2011None

wdk450

Photos

Gang:
Its been a while since I started this thread. My previous laptop bit the dust, and we returned to California from Oregon/Washington.
I want to say that after I posted this thread Lippert was back in communication with me.

Attachments

• 16 resized.jpg
    16 resized.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 262
  • 17 resized.jpg
    17 resized.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 245
  • 18 resized.jpg
    18 resized.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 242
  • 19 resized.jpg
    19 resized.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 232
  • 20 resized.jpg
    20 resized.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 228

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Since mine's in the shop getting the bedroom floor repaired, along with the electric awning, I'll give them a heads-up to take a look at the ones on mine when they repack the bearings.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Thanks for the pics WDK...it appears the welds were "cold lapped" using a production welding rod called "Mud Rod 7024". This rod is very fast, gap filling, with a smooth appearance after the brown slag is removed. Special care must be taken by the welder to watch the sides tie-in. This is not an all position rod so those parts being welded should be in an ideal position of 45 deg. going slightly uphill. (looks like they were welded flat and favored the bottom).
If i was going to weld them i'd run 2 passes of 3/32" 7018 rod and try to weld both sides.
It's obvious the part failed because of poor weld penetration or lack of following the welding procedures.

I just had mine replaced because of cracks in the side walls of the equalizer. The tech thinks they are too thin for the size of our '08 Augusta. Could too much heat at the time of welding cause them to be brittle leading to the failure? Lippert replaced the parts but I paid for shipping and all of the labor. Now I just won't sleep well waiting for the new one to break going down the road!!!

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I just had mine replaced because of cracks in the side walls of the equalizer. The tech thinks they are too thin for the size of our '08 Augusta. Could too much heat at the time of welding cause them to be brittle leading to the failure? Lippert replaced the parts but I paid for shipping and all of the labor. Now I just won't sleep well waiting for the new one to break going down the road!!!

<Could too much heat at the time of welding cause them to be brittle leading to the failure?>

Yes, often the welder or shop will throw the hot welded piece in water to cool it off causing it to become brittle.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member

I sure would like a sample of an old broke assembly, so I can rebuild it stronger than factory specs. I'll pay shipping? I just retired and I'm bored!:)

Retired CPO

Just to clearify something; Lippert (LCI) components bought TrailAir products sometime ago. Trailair service center is still in operation and very knowledgeable (Ron) is one of the original top service mgrs. If there are ever questions you can call them Ron or Kara [Dale's (owner)daughter] at 573-999-0797 he's (Ron)in Elkhart and Kara is in MO. at HQ.

jimpav

Looks to me like if they were made in a common production shop then they were made with a simple MIG (manual inert gas) wire fed welding machine. It's a fast method for production welding. Nothing wrong with the process, but if the joint is not clean, fit-up properly and the amperage of the machine set properly, this is the result. I doubt they have a certified C.W.I. inspecting these welds as well as the other weld in the frame, etc.

lwmcguir

If you are going to pull your Augusta or any other 38-40 foot Coach you should upgrade to 8,000 pound axles for sure. Cost a bit but gives you a bit of breathing room. The 7,000 are not heavey enough for the heavy side with two three slide outs and cargo. Go with the Trail Air then and you should be set.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
If you are going to pull your Augusta or any other 38-40 foot Coach you should upgrade to 8,000 pound axles for sure. Cost a bit but gives you a bit of breathing room. The 7,000 are not heavey enough for the heavy side with two three slide outs and cargo. Go with the Trail Air then and you should be set.

Maybe not a sure thing. There have been others that have had their trailers upgraded to 8K axles and it was a bit too stiff. Shook the coach more than normal. Things came out of the door and drawers. While I too am a person who thinks more is better but I have to allow myself to trust in the engineering with these frames and axles. I feel they wouldn't build these if there were any chance of failure or injury. My 2-cents

Mark

Delaine and Lindy

8,000 lb Axles .......

We have 8,000 lb axles and we also have a center point (Air ride) suspension. I'm not sure how the 5er rides, have never rode in the 5th wheel. But we have no movement inside, we leave the coffee pot and can opener on the counter beside the stove, and we leave the printer on the counter top by the pop up TV and nothing ever moves. But we also have a Trailer Saver Air ride 5th wheel hitch, which takes a lot of stress off the frame of the 5er. Our 5th wheel is rated at 18,500 lbs. I don't think the Landmarks need the 8,000 axles, but they do need the 7,000 axles. I would recomend you upgrade to the Center Point Air suspension. GBY....

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Are you talking about your Mobile Suites 5er? Does that compare to the Big Country or the Sundance. Who makes them anyway? I thought that company went out of business.:D

lwmcguir

Way to many bent and broken springs out there to suit me. With the weight right at the maximum for the 7,000 axle/springs you dont have any margin. If you travel light and stay on smooth roads you might be OK. If you want a little wiggle room you might want to upgrade. The type springs and holders are at the low end of the spring world. Slipper springs are used for heavier trailers with heavier bolts in the hangers. Most folks will be fine however you can certainly give yourself a little margin. The air ride will take the stiffness out of the heavier springs.

wdk450

Equalizer Resolution

Gang:
Lippert has stated that the equalizer welds did not meet their specifications, and are offering a settlement that will cover the cost of the equalizers. This meets my expectaions on this matter.
In September, I replaced the springs with locally fabricated springs in Eugene, Oregon. I feel better about these than factory replacements for the original springs. These cost $140 each versus the $40 each OEM price. I also got new U bolts and mounting hardware, which is fine with me as I have heard of these nuts loosening, possibly due to the metal in the U-bolts stretching. I would also recommend Carrier and Sons RV service in Eugene, as they got this done as promised.
I hope to add center point suspension in lieu of the Trail-Air equalizers in the future, when I can afford it.

beardedone

Beardedone
Thanks for post wdk450. When you were talking to Lippert (Trailair) did they say how common the problem is? I have to upgrade my suspension and if there is a problem with the equalizers then I might just straight to the centre point.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thanks for post wdk450. When you were talking to Lippert (Trailair) did they say how common the problem is? I have to upgrade my suspension and if there is a problem with the equalizers then I might just straight to the centre point.
beardedone, if you are upgrading your suspension, you may want to consider installing a full set of "wet-bolts" by Dexter. These will save wear and tear on the suspension and give you a longer lasting suspension.