Legal Maximum Towing Speed

RollingHome

I was reading Delaware traffic laws (OK, so I'm home sick & bored). I found where the maximum speed allowed while towing a trailer in Delaware is 55 MPH. Delaware Route 1 has a 65 MPH speed limit and 18 wheelers often blow by me when I'm in my car doing 70 MPH. In speaking with others and reading other state laws thru hot links etc. I see some other states have these same un-enforced laws. I guess they are on the books for selective enforcement. The law is simple and states "while towing", this means semi-trucks, campers anything that is towed. Are there any ex or current police officers on the forum that could comment. I just thought it would be interesting to find out "The rest of the story"

Northern Virginia
I wonder if that's like one of those laws that says you can't make a ham sandwhich, in the rain, wearing your underwear, on Sunday.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I understand and agree. I normally travel at whatever speed the road conditions will allow and as long as there are trucks and/or other trailers passing me I don't worry about the limit. If I see truck traveling at the posted speed it's usually a safe assumption that they either know the state or local cops are pretty strict in that area. That's when I do the same.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
Ray, Didn't Illinois just raise the 550 mph speed limit on trucks over 8K, RV, and anything pulling a trailer to 65mph?

Yianni

California is 55 while towing and posted very frequently so you don't miss it. Coming home from New Mexico I was doing about 63 just inside of the California border and sure enough a CHP was hiding with radar. He never even looked up from his paper work. His radar gun was hanging outside his window so I don't know how strictly they enforce it. I think if you were doing 65 in a middle lane they would give you a second look.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ray, Didn't Illinois just raise the 550 mph speed limit on trucks over 8K, RV, and anything pulling a trailer to 65mph?
To be honest, I don't know. When we left there in Sept. last year it was 55. It may have changed and if it did it would be a wonderful thing. I'll have to check into that.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired

They did raise the speed limit to 65 for trucks and RV's. They didnt start changing the signs till arround the 2nd week of January. They also said some Chicago area interstates would retain the 55 mph speed limit do to congestion etc. Zoom....Zoom in Illinois.......Kenny

SilverRhino

Speed limit while towing has never really been an issue, as far as I'm concerned. I tow a Recreational Vehicle , so I'm not in that big a hurry! I see and have been passed by rigs on countless occasions that are driving way to fast for the conditions. It's a vacation...not a race! Getting to my destination in one piece and relaxed is much more important than getting there an hour earlier. My truck will pull my BC and keep up with anything on the road.....but what does that prove, and besides, all of us are more limited in our ability to safely stop than we are in top speed. Slow down...enjoy the trip!

Just my observation.

Travel Safe!

rvn4fun

We tow in the low 60 mph, so I don't worry about speeding except when they drop speed limits fast when entering towns ect. We are semi retired and in no hurry.