Water Softener

skh

Picking up a Grand Canyon next week and am interested in hearing what some of you have done for a water softener system? Previously I've used magnets and years ago a unit that used some type of cartridge, don't remember what it was called. I see now there are small units available both auto regeneration and manual.

skh

Just to mention I did look at the previous posts on the subject, but the newest is a year old. Maybe there's something else out there now or at least more experience with what they've had.

jimtoo

We went years without a softener, then installed one in the house a few years ago. Got use to the good soft water and decided we had to have one for the RV. We went with this one here due to size. It is very easy to regenerate, does not take long and does a good job. We have had this about a year.

Jim M

SmokeyBare

I use the same as Jimtoo is using. It's easy to recharge, using only a 1 # box of table salt that you pour into the top. Let sit for the required time and then flush the salt solution out before putting the softener back in service. Hose connections make it simple to put in use. I have always put my filters in line before the softener, so it has clean water going in.

Good Luck on your research.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Well now it's three that use the same softner. And like SmokeyBare I have a filter in front of the softner.
I like it.

Peace
Dave

Rickhansen

We've got this one http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/portable-water-softener-conditioner/6848
It works well, but with the terribly hard water in Florida, I have to regenerate about every two weeks. We use our clothes washer quite a lot.

It uses "solar" rock salt, so is pretty economical to operate. A 40lb bag is about $6 and last us about 6 months. They have different sizes, and one automatic model that has a brine tank. The only complaint I have is that the fill hole in the manual model is too small and it can be tricky to fill if the salt is too coarse.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
OK Guys.. I have a new one to look into...
When I was in Rockport I was parked next to a guy that was in a Allegro Bus. We got talking and he just had to show me his new water softner. When I looked at it I thought he was pulling my leg. It was in a plastic red and black tool box. When he opened it it was a flat device with wires around a pipe and a box. I want to say Clearwave but I don't think this was the one. This guy said it really works and so does his wife. She said she has to was her hair very often because of it's length and can not use wanter that is not softened...

Has anyone seen this or heard of it?

FWIW
BC

jbeletti

Rick,

I learned that one from Michael Kidd at the 2009 Goshen Rally. Pretty nice way. Run 2 full canisters of salt through. Done.

Jim

Willym

OK Guys.. I have a new one to look into...
When I was in Rockport I was parked next to a guy that was in a Allegro Bus. We got talking and he just had to show me his new water softner. When I looked at it I thought he was pulling my leg. It was in a plastic red and black tool box. When he opened it it was a flat device with wires around a pipe and a box. I want to say Clearwave but I don't think this was the one. This guy said it really works and so does his wife. She said she has to was her hair very often because of it's length and can not use wanter that is not softened...

Has anyone seen this or heard of it?

FWIW
BC

If you Google "Clearwave water softener" you'll get lots of info. The device seems to work by preventing hard water particles from precipitating, i.e. they stay in suspension. There are a couple of university test reports on one web site. The benefits seem to be the prevention of scale formation in water heaters and other water system components. It also reduces the interaction of water hardness with detergents, so you'll use less soap and detergent. However, your drinking water will still contain all the salts and other impurites that the water supply has.
There doesn't seem to be a perfect solution to getting great water. Each system will do something but not everything. You'd need filters, chlorination/UV treatment, carbon filters and a water softener to get pure water. I tend to drink whatever's on offer in a campground, and just use a carbon filter to remove that "campground taste" that occurs from time to time. I've never had a problem with scale formation, routine heater maintenance seems to take care of that.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I am getting some scale on my regulator. Notice it when I connect it up lately. I come off of the shore water to my regulator, through a charcoal filter and a white sediment filter to the UDC water connection. I checked my Anode in the HWH and it was deteriorate less than half the diameter. Length was still good.

Thanks
BC

lwmcguir

If you Google "Clearwave water softener" you'll get lots of info. The device seems to work by preventing hard water particles from precipitating, i.e. they stay in suspension. There are a couple of university test reports on one web site. The benefits seem to be the prevention of scale formation in water heaters and other water system components. It also reduces the interaction of water hardness with detergents, so you'll use less soap and detergent. However, your drinking water will still contain all the salts and other impurites that the water supply has.
There doesn't seem to be a perfect solution to getting great water. Each system will do something but not everything. You'd need filters, chlorination/UV treatment, carbon filters and a water softener to get pure water. I tend to drink whatever's on offer in a campground, and just use a carbon filter to remove that "campground taste" that occurs from time to time. I've never had a problem with scale formation, routine heater maintenance seems to take care of that.

All the electronic devices do is to change the form of Calcium from Carbonate to Arragonite. Reduces a bit of scale but the minerals are all still there. Similar to the high powered magnets you can purchase. An exchange type softener or a larger RO such as the Merlin are the only two ways to remove the minerals. Retired from GE from the water equipment and industrial chemical division.

Willym

All the electronic devices do is to change the form of Calcium from Carbonate to Arragonite. Reduces a bit of scale but the minerals are all still there. Similar to the high powered magnets you can purchase. An exchange type softener or a larger RO such as the Merlin are the only two ways to remove the minerals. Retired from GE from the water equipment and industrial chemical division.

Thanks. I hadn't heard of Aragonite before. I presume that it stays in suspension better than the Calcite which is the normal crystalline form. In my previous life we used to use portable GE water purification equipment on occasion when our own ion exchange plant couldn't cope.

lwmcguir

You are correct, Solubility is what you gain. There are some small exchange units out there that use salt or potassium chloride that will work fine. Adds a bit more work to camping but if you are in areas where the water is extremely bad such as the South West or central us then it may be worth it. Most of the water in the East and Southern US is fairly soft. Texas and a few places are certainly exceptions. Most campgrounds can provide the water supply analysis and it is worth looking at. My personal preference is the GE Merlin but the small zeolyte exchange units work well, just the extra steps involved.

skh

Just an update to say I bought a softener from a water guy on ebay putting them together himself for $248. shipping included. Not fancy but works fine, manually regenerated.