Lost Lippert Wheel On Trip Today -- Need Warranty Advice

rmchad

Heartland Owner
Hi All -- about two hours into our trip to visit friends in NM and then onto the Sand Dunes, I noticed in my rear view mirror one wheel was kicked out at the bottom -- running slanted. I slowed down to a crawl until we could find a safe place to get off the highway. The wheel dropped about 50 feet before we were off. I'm sure glad it was not any worst -- busted up wheel, but no damage to the Sundance and little drama since I slowed down before the wheel came off.

We called Lippert -- it is under warranty. Today is Saturday. They can ship parts to a local garage for delivery Thursday. Or, we can pay around $100 for overnight shipping and get the parts Tuesday.

The garage can get Dexter parts Monday morning and expects us to be on the road again before lunch.

Lippert will pay for the work and parts either way (they ship or we use local supplier), but if we use local parts, any future warranty work will not be honored on the wheel or axle. I can't find any info in my Heartland owners documentation regarding the Lippert warranty -- we purchased Oct 2009 and axle was manufactured Aug 2009.

Any suggestions ? Wait for Lippert parts or get on with the trip and void future warranty work?

Thanks for your help while we are stuck at the garage!

Broken Wheel.jpg

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I guess the number one question, is the spindle OK? And the HUB? If so, I would try to find a local outlet for a backing plate assembly. That and a new set of bearings and you could be on your way for under $200. Your warranty is almost up anyway I think. I have to ask though, What happened? It appears that the spindle nut came loose and the end result destroyed the brake shoes etc. I'm really surprised Lippert is willing to warranty it. Of course, that's because I really don't know what caused the problem.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, good thing you pay attention. It could have been worse. It's hard to tell by the pic, but it looks like the nut is still on and the outer bearing went out.
What did happen anyway.
Have you ever repacked the bearings? If it was the bearing that went out, this might be a good time to look at the rest of them.
Let us know howl things work out.

Peace
Dave

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Do you happen to have a photo of the wheel and hub?...are the bearing races still on the hub? Sorry that happen but thanks for sharing.
I might get it fix asap and make a claim later...a future warrenty is basically useless in my view.

rmchad

Heartland Owner
I don't know what happened either -- I hope to get the mechanic to take a good look tomorrow or Monday and see what he thinks.

rmchad

Heartland Owner
I'm glad it wasn't any worse! We had the bearings and brakes checked when we took it out of storage this Spring. We've put a few hundred miles on it since then, but today was the day it decided to go. The nut is still on -- I hope the mechanic can shed some light on what happened.

rmchad

Heartland Owner
BrokenWheel2.jpgHere is a closer pic. I have not taken one of wheel yet. Dark here now and I'm tired from the adventure :)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Sorry you had your wheel problem. I think the most important question is why did this happen. Fix the reason why so it does not reoccur.

caissiel

On my way south last fall, I met a couple in St Augustine that had a bad axle shaft on one wheel and had bearing failures on 2 more wheels during a small trip with an almost new SOB trailer.
He determnined that the bearings were not packed properly and ran dry. It was a Sunday and he repaired it himself with parts from Camping World. We fixed the bad axle shaft with locktite and he hoped making it home limping.
I told him it looked like a good fix and just get on his way and drive carefully.

rmchad

Heartland Owner
Yep -- I can do without that happening again. I was praying the single tire didn't blow on the way to the garage.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Looks like the outside bearing gave out....the cause could be a too tight or too loose axle nut, spun bearing race, slightly bent spindle, I doubt it was from lack of grease or overloaded.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Chad, Wow, glad you were able to make it to a garage and no one was hurt-including whoever that tire and wheel met when it came off. Good job on seeing it and slowing down!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I am not trying to throw fuel to a fire but how are you doing with the springs on the trailer. Those look to be light weight 4 leaf springs. I would keep an eye on them.
I believe the trailer has a GVWR of 13,900#.

BC

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Those look to be light weight 4 leaf springs. I would keep an eye on them.
I believe the trailer has a GVWR of 13,900#.

BC

BC, your right on the 13,900#, but the rig has 5,200# axles so I guess less spring must be the spec for those.

Peace
Dave

ChopperBill

My guess is that when you had the bearings and brakes checked they pre-loaded the bearings too tight. It is common for shops to put there "stud busters" on dirty jobs like wheel bearings figuring they can do it. I have seen hub assemblies come into the shop that looked about the same as yours. I asked how tight they set the pre-load on the nut. One guy told he he used an air wrench and cinched it up pretty good. There you have it I said.