Generator Size?

WG894

Hey all!

This summer I will be renting a '2010 North Trail 32QBSS Travel Trailer by Heartland' for 2-3 weeks with an option to buy it if I end up liking it but I have a couple of questions regarding it's operation.Any advice and/or info would be greatly appreciated!

1)Where I will be camping there are no hook-up services so I will be 'boondocking' or 'dry camping' as most people call it so what I need to know is what size generator should I buy? I found one that I like,it's 4500 running watts with a peak limit of 5625 watts.So will 4500 watts be sufficient enough to power this trailer?

2)What power source does the fridge/freezer run off of? I've heard many stories saying that it's electrically ran,propane fuelled,and in some cases both.So which is it?

I look forward to reading your answers and opinions!

Thanks very much! :)

RollingHome

I have a 3000 watt Honda. My TT had a AC and all the standard stuff. The 3000 watt Honda NEVER ever failed me. I could run everything and anything I wanted to run. However, electric is electric so the brand doesn't matter. I can't imagine a 4500 watt genny not meeting the challenge you will give it. The only fly in the ointment is 2 AC's both starting simultaneously. This may be a problem, but I doubt it. A 4500 watt genny is a lot of power. Try it in your yard first to be sure. Most refers are 120 volt AC and propane. Some are also 12 VDC (3-way), All the systems work fine. These amonia absorbtion refer units use so little propane that a 20 pound cylinder will last years of sporadic camping. I had a pop up that went 5 years on the same tank for the refer, it still had gas in it when I traded it in. Tom

jimtoo

The refrigerator must have 12 volts and propane,,,,, or ,,,,,, 12volts and 120 volts.....The refrigerator must have 12v or it will not work. I don't think they are using any of they 3 way frigs any more.

Northern Virginia
I believe your unit is 30 amps which translates to 3600 watts when you are plugged into shore power. Whenever you are on generator power, you have to be conscientious of your power consumption. We have a 6500 watt generator that can get bogged down. Heck, last year we tripped the 50 amp two pole main breaker while plugged into shore power. That's 12,000 watts. Of course, I had two teenage girls trying to run everything at once while blow drying their hair.

John

APT

Are you looking for a used generator? This boondocking is it a campground wit others? If you need AC, then the Yamaha 2400 will power most 13.5k units. A 3000w will power the 15k units. But the 32QBSS rental may have either one, so I'd say you need 3kw min. I highly recommend an inverter generator if you want to sleep with it running or if you don't want your camping neighbors banging on your door.

If you don't need AC, then a 1kw will do to charge the batteries, but 2w is about $200 more (YamaHon inverters) so might as well get that and use the microwave.

Roland

The NorthTrail Trailer has a 30amp power chord and therefore can only draw a maximum of 3600 watts, more than than that will trip the main breaker in the trailer. This allows you to power two major 120 volt appliances at one time; i.e. the air conditioner and the microwave. Most 120 volt kitchen appliances, hair dryers and curling irons draw approximately 900 to 1200 watts. The air conditioner draws about 1600 watts and is on a 20amp circuit. The fridge running on propane draws minimal 12 volt power so is of no concern. Everything else in the trailer (lights, water pump, furnace) is also running 12 volt so draws minimal power through the buillt-in converter or the battery. The only time you will have to run the generator is when you are using the airconditioner, microwave, or need to use a plug-in appliance or if the RV Battery needs a charge. The built-in charger in the trailer's converter only provides a minimal trickle charge, so if your generator does not have a charger, you may want to bring a seperate battery charger and/or a second battery. A second battery is a good idea if you plan on doing a bit of boondocking. Also, you will want to make sure you have the necessary adapter to be able to plug the RV 30amp male plug into the female 30 amp recepticale on the generator (you do not want to be using a 30 to 15 amp adapter). The 4500 watt generator is the proper size for this trailer. A number of the 3600 watt generators will not provide the full 30amps, and if it does it is running at maximum. As previously said, you do want to be conscious of decibel level. Under 60DB at maximum load is usually acceptable, providing there is some space between the generator and your neighbors.

I hope this helps.

Roland

Northern Virginia
Another consideration when buying a generator are the start up amps. If you want to use it to run your air conditioner, the more the better. Many times in the summer when the air is cycling on and off a lot (when it is hot), the compressor will have a very high head pressure. This requires a lot more energy to get the compressor moving for the first several rotations (like pulling your 5th wheel up a steep hill from a dead stop). The air conditioner can draw 4 times the running amps at start up. I have seen my 15k BTU draw just over 50 amps for a half a second at start up (then level off at 13 amps). Thats where you use that "peak" wattage.

John

branson4020

Icantre Member
The built-in charger in the trailer's converter only provides a minimal trickle charge, so if your generator does not have a charger, you may want to bring a seperate battery charger and/or a second battery.

I hope this helps.

Roland

Roland,

Don't know what converter the North Trail has, but the converter in my Bighorn can easily supply a 50A charging current to my batteries. Hardly a "trickle charger."

porthole

Retired
Can't beat the Honda 3000-I (except for the cost).

It is quiet and will run your AC. I don't believe there is a quieter generator out there than the 3000-I.

CW has a 30amp RV to 30amp twist lock adapter right next to the generators.

WG894

WOW!! Thanks very much to everyone for their input and advice...I actually learned a few things after reading all of the responses.

Thanks again!! :)

WG894

The NorthTrail Trailer has a 30amp power chord and therefore can only draw a maximum of 3600 watts, more than than that will trip the main breaker in the trailer. This allows you to power two major 120 volt appliances at one time; i.e. the air conditioner and the microwave. Most 120 volt kitchen appliances, hair dryers and curling irons draw approximately 900 to 1200 watts. The air conditioner draws about 1600 watts and is on a 20amp circuit. The fridge running on propane draws minimal 12 volt power so is of no concern. Everything else in the trailer (lights, water pump, furnace) is also running 12 volt so draws minimal power through the buillt-in converter or the battery. The only time you will have to run the generator is when you are using the airconditioner, microwave, or need to use a plug-in appliance or if the RV Battery needs a charge. The built-in charger in the trailer's converter only provides a minimal trickle charge, so if your generator does not have a charger, you may want to bring a seperate battery charger and/or a second battery. A second battery is a good idea if you plan on doing a bit of boondocking. Also, you will want to make sure you have the necessary adapter to be able to plug the RV 30amp male plug into the female 30 amp recepticale on the generator (you do not want to be using a 30 to 15 amp adapter). The 4500 watt generator is the proper size for this trailer. A number of the 3600 watt generators will not provide the full 30amps, and if it does it is running at maximum. As previously said, you do want to be conscious of decibel level. Under 60DB at maximum load is usually acceptable, providing there is some space between the generator and your neighbors.

I hope this helps.

Roland

Actually your response helped more than you know! So basically what you are saying is that it doesn't matter how big of a generator is hooked up to the trailer because all the trailer will handle is 3600 watts before the trailer's circuit breakers start tripping? I originally was going to buy a 4500 watt generator but today I found an amazing deal! I'm not sure if it's worth getting because if the trailer can only handle 3600 watts what's the point in getting an even bigger generator? I found a generator today(clearance item,brand new still in the box)for the same price as the 4500 watt model that I originally mentioned but it's a 6200 watt(7750 peak watts)model.Money wise it's a fantastic deal but does anyone think that a 6200 watt generator is overkill for a trailer that can only handle 3600 watts?

Once again thanks for all of the help and advice! :)

RollingHome

I would be surprised if the Honda 3000 IE did not meet your needs. In 4 years of primative camping with a 32 foot TT it met my needs and the electrical "stuff" the TT maunfacturer put in. Now, if you have 3 teen age daughters with their hair dryers and you set up camp in a desert... you may have a problem. By the way, I think you can rent these genny's from Modern Equipment too. Yeah you can use more but in 4 years of heat as high as 95F I never needed more... JMO
P.S. I have bumped into a guy twice now, who had 2 - 2000 watt IE genny's on the back of his TT, (really way too cool install). He told me he only runs 1 90% of the time for the micro, coffee, charging etc. He only fired up the other gen if he needed to run the AC. So their ya go two experienced RV stories both saying basically the same thing from actual "been there, done that stories". Your turn to decide. :)

WG894

I would be surprised if the Honda 3000 IE did not meet your needs. In 4 years of primative camping with a 32 foot TT it met my needs and the electrical "stuff" the TT maunfacturer put in. Now, if you have 3 teen age daughters with their hair dryers and you set up camp in a desert... you may have a problem. By the way, I think you can rent these genny's from Modern Equipment too. Yeah you can use more but in 4 years of heat as high as 95F I never needed more... JMO
P.S. I have bumped into a guy twice now, who had 2 - 2000 watt IE genny's on the back of his TT, (really way too cool install). He told me he only runs 1 90% of the time for the micro, coffee, charging etc. He only fired up the other gen if he needed to run the AC. So their ya go two experienced RV stories both saying basically the same thing from actual "been there, done that stories". Your turn to decide. :)

Living in Canada I have never heard of a place called 'Modern Equipment' but having said that I did orginally check out a few places that do rent generators and after being quoted various rental fees it immediately became apparent to me that buying one was the way to go because what I would have paid in rental fees for 3 weeks I could have just added a few bucks and bought one,hence the reason for me posting this thread about generator sizes.

As far as the Honda brand goes and the huge price tag that comes with it I would definitely seriously consider purchasing a Honda if I was going to be using it everyday(like for commercial purposes or camping year round)but for me who is only going to be using it 3-4 weeks every year just in the summer for camping a Honda and it's substantial price tag is something that I can't justify.Besides,I have done my research and have spoken to many people who have opted to purchase a less expensive generator and many are very happy that they did.

And just to clarify,the power draw won't be that much of an issue(like it would be with 3 teenage daughthers) as it will only be myself and the wife staying in the trailer.

So I guess the question still remains...does anyone think that a 6200 watt generator is overkill for a trailer that can only handle 3600 watts?

I use (2) Honda 2000 wired in parallel. These are great units and very easy to handle. Only 50 pounds each. I can run most things off one if need be. I also have the house wired and use these in case of an emergency.

porthole

Retired
If your 4500 watt genny is running at 80% load that gives you 3600 watts - just what you are looking for.

Run you generator at 100% load 100% of the time and it will not last very long. And it will be noisy.
Even the very quiet Honda's make a bit of noise when running at max load.

I have a the Honda 3000I. Very quiet (quieter then the 2000I models) and has a decent size fuel tank, 3.4 gallons IIRC.

Heavy and the wheels were $90 extra.

Maybe today I'll compare my Honda running the trailer versus the built in Onan 5500 for noise levels.