Inverter for T.V.

jdfishing

I would like to be able to run my TV, stereo and satellite box off of an inverter for those few times I camp without electric. I'm not interested in going the solar panel route at this time and have been told several different ways to accomplish this and wanted another opinion on the following: Use a 300w inverter which plugs into the 12v outlet next to my TV; or use a 600w plus inverter mounted close to the batteries and plug the main RV power cord into the inverter with an extension cord. I have two 12v batteries on the RV and can recharge them with my Honda 2000 generator and a battery charger. Could I get by with an inexpensive standard inverter from Costco etc. or should I spend the money on a pure or modified sine inverter?

Northern Virginia
300 watts is only 2.5 amps AC. I am pretty sure most of the electronics you listed will pull more than that.

You need to keep your inverter as close to the batteries as possible (usually less than 6 feet). On the output side (AC power) you can run much longer lengths. Since you are buying an inverter to run your electronics, I would buy a pure sine wave inverter.

A standard residential outlet provides a maximium of 1800 watts (full capacity) and should only be loaded to about 1400 watts.

I think you want an inverter in that neighborhood at a minimum.

John

fljlcw

What you are wanting to run takes at least 1000 watt inverter we did what you are wanting to you also have to know that the inverter itself draws power to run they take between 5 and 20 % to operate what we did is hook the inverter up near the batteries than ran an extension cord to the appliances we wanted to run very temporary set up but it worked for dry camping A pure sine wave inverter is much easier on electronics but allot more costly we have used A modified sine wave for short trips but I wouldnt suggest it we have finally upgraded to A pure sine wave permently installed and wired and bigger batteries We like it much better Fred

boatdoc

We've run MSW inverters for years and years and never saw a need for a pure sine inverter. A 1K will do you just fine unless mama needs to run the hairdryer or coffee pot. The only thing I did have a problem with the MSW was a Dewalt battery charger, it didn't like the MSW at all, in fact I killed the charger with it. Lesson learned.

jbeletti

Regarding the absolute need for a Pure Sine Wave (PSW) inverter versus a Modified Sine Wave (MSW) inverter, I am no expert on the subject and I can't vouch for the accuracy of this, but I found this online.

Do I need Modified Sine Wave, or Pure Sine Wave?

Advantages of Pure Sine Wave inverters over modified sine wave inverters:

a) Output voltage wave form is pure sine wave with very low harmonic distortion and clean power like utility-supplied electricity.

b) Inductive loads like microwave ovens and motors run faster, quieter and cooler.

c) Reduces audible and electrical noise in fans, fluorescent lights, audio amplifiers, TV, Game consoles, Fax, and answering machines.

d) Prevents crashes in computers, weird print out, and glitches and noise in monitors.

e) Reliably powers the following devices that will normally not work with modified sine wave inverters:

* Laser printers, photocopiers, magneto-optical hard drives
* Certain laptop computers (you should check with your manufacturer)
* Some fluorescent lights with electronic ballasts
* Power tools employing "solid state" power or variable speed control
* Some battery chargers for cordless tools
* Some new furnaces and pellet stoves with microprocessor control
* Digital clocks with radios
* Sewing machines with speed/microprocessor control
* X-10 home automation system
* Medical equipment such as oxygen concentrators

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Just a quick question,

Since I am buying a new RV early next year, and use a bipap for sleep apnea, can I get an inverter installed by the factory, or by my dealer when buying? Would I need to get extra batteries, or possibly get the unit
gen prepped instead as they added an extra battery during that process? If I get a 2000 watt inverter, besides the bipap machine, what other appliances would also work at the same time, as we may do a little dry camping in the mountains. Thanks in advance.

jbeletti

Hi Larry,

The factory does not install inverters - so yeah, work that out with your dealer. What you will need for an inverter size and how many batteries is strictly a function of the amount of AC power you require for your machine and how long you wish to power it before you can recharge the batteries. The power requirement is usually mentioned on a panel on the machine itself. That's a starting point.

I'd say do not get the gen prep for the sole reason of possibly installing an inverter for your bi-pap machine. If however, you feel later that you may install an Cummins-Onan built-in style RV generator, then sure, go for the gen prep now as the sheet metal box will be installed up front for the future gen install, in addition to the wiring, transfer switch and starter switch/hour meter. To my knowledge, we do "not" install a second battery on units that have gen prep or a generator.

What I would do if I were you?

Install 2 Trojan T-105 6 volt golf cart batteries in series (for 12 volts) for your house batteries in the provided tray in the RV. Connect to that, a pure sine wave inverter that has a remote power switch. Run AC wiring from the output of the inverter to a duplex AC outlet near your bed where you operate the bi-pap machine. Use one of those orange duplex outlets to visually differentiate it from the others in the RV. Run the wiring for the remote power switch from the inverter to a convenient location in the bedroom so you can remotely turn the inverter on and off as needed. Also consider installing a DC voltage meter somewhere in the coach to monitor your battery voltage so that you can discontinue using the DC power system before you take the batteries too far down, too many times.

Million dollar question - what size inverter do you need solely for this requirement?? 5 seconds of Googling tells me to use a 500 watt PSW inverter. Do your own research with your machine's manufacturer. Here's a link to a 600 watt PSW inverter for $349. Another $28 gets you the remote control power switch.

Jim

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Wow Jim,
That was an awesome reply to my questions, so I appreciate it. I am still wondering since I am going to all the trouble of installing a pure sine wave inverter, if I just go with the overkill of a 2000 watt inverter, what other appliances will I be able to utilize, including air conditioning, microwave/convection oven, TV, etc? I guess that some of those appliances require a lot more power than others, which is the basis of my inquiry. Oops, where do I have them install the inverter?

branson4020

Icantre Member
I would like to be able to run my TV, stereo and satellite box off of an inverter for those few times I camp without electric. I'm not interested in going the solar panel route at this time and have been told several different ways to accomplish this and wanted another opinion on the following: Use a 300w inverter which plugs into the 12v outlet next to my TV; or use a 600w plus inverter mounted close to the batteries and plug the main RV power cord into the inverter with an extension cord. I have two 12v batteries on the RV and can recharge them with my Honda 2000 generator and a battery charger. Could I get by with an inexpensive standard inverter from Costco etc. or should I spend the money on a pure or modified sine inverter?

The actual measured power consumption of my Samsung receiver playing a DVD through my 32" Samsung LCD TV is... 160W. Add another 50W for you satellite receiver. A 300W-600W inverter is plenty for these requirements.

jbeletti

Wow Jim,
That was an awesome reply to my questions, so I appreciate it. I am still wondering since I am going to all the trouble of installing a pure sine wave inverter, if I just go with the overkill of a 2000 watt inverter, what other appliances will I be able to utilize, including air conditioning, microwave/convection oven, TV, etc? I guess that some of those appliances require a lot more power than others, which is the basis of my inquiry. Oops, where do I have them install the inverter?

Larry,

An inverter system that could run an air conditioner would be a very large, complex and expensive system requiring an ability to replace the power back into the batteries, often times with a large solar system. Seen only a few of those but can be done. Gonna cost $5k to $10k :)

Others are giving some great advice here based on their experience - so that will help you some. As you seem determined on the inverter setup for some boon docking, I feel it's time you began consulting with a company that specializes in design and installation of inverter systems in RVs in the SoCal area. Gotta be several of them around there. They can sit with you to determine what you will need. Best to determine for yourself, your budget for this sort of thing. If you want to do it right and want to run more than your bi-pap, consider spending $2k to $10k. The less you want to power, the less it will cost. Same for duration. The less time you want to power stuff, the less it will cost.

All of this can be done on a shoestring to some degree, but as you will not be doing any of this work yourself, and as you likely want a simple to use, bullet proof system/install, your looking at proven gear, professionally installed. Think $$ :)

Start Googling RV service companies in SoCal. Make a few calls.

Jim

Northern Virginia
The actual measured power consumption of my Samsung receiver playing a DVD through my 32" Samsung LCD TV is... 160W. Add another 50W for you satellite receiver. A 300W-600W inverter is plenty for these requirements.
Your right Bob. I just went out to the camper and checked my ammeter. The actual current draw was 177 watts (Jensen 32" LCD and Samsung DVD player). Just for kicks and giggles, I plugged them into the inverter receptacle I installed in the kitchen (via extension cord) and everything worked fine on our modified sine wave inverter. I also checked the Dometic microwave which worked but did run a little noisier. In fact, the only thing so far that has not worked is my Bosch jig saw.

John

hoefler

Many bpap and cpap machines run on 12 volt dc through a transformer plugged into an AC outlet. I made a cord that plugs into my 12 volt outlet and into my cpap. Draws less power from the batteries than running an invertor to make the conversion.

ChopperBill

On our old 3055 had a Xantrex modified wave 3000 watt inverter wire into the "whole house". Waste of time, it would only run the microwave about 1/2 power and killed the batteries in short order. And had to do some fancy switch flipping to take the converter out of the line. I removed that inverter and put it in our 3610 and wired to only the TV outlet breakers for the living room and bedroom. It left a couple of outlets for use of a hair dryer or some other short used things. The k.i.s.s principle seems to work the best for us. Dont have to shut the converter off, just flip the switch and let the auto transfer switch to its job.
on edit: I would have bought a GOOD 1000 watt inverter for the new one but the 3000 watt was already paid for. 1000 should have been plenty for TV watching.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
If and when I install an inverter on the trailer I will probably go for the 3K range. Did this in my first boat. Worked great, PSW Heart Interface at the time.

Another advantage for Larry with the inverter wired as Jim suggested with an orange outlet - even if he decides on a generator he can still use the PSW to get clean power for his machine and let the gen set power everything else

wdk450

Larry:
If you can get away without using the air conditioner, you could use one of the portable, lightweight (about 70 lbs), new inverter generators like a Kipor, Boily, or Honda(s). They are pretty quiet and small, too. Have one of those as an adjunct to your inverter/battery system.

caissiel

I have a 75, 300, and a 1200 Watt inverters available for our entertainement inverting when we are on batteries alone.
The 1200Watt unit in the storage next to the battery and I have run a line from the slide out breaker line to a 3 way switch that I have installed next to the inverter. When on AC I flip the switch so the current flows through the breaker to the slide plugs and when using the inverter I flip the switch to the inverter side and bypass the panel with only the slide plugs powered. I found out that I need to have the fridge on propane manually because it draws power from the slideout breaker.

The slide out line powers the desk, table area and the TV/Entertainement plugs.

I bought a 2000 Watt Generator today and powered the converter and charged 3 batteries while I watched TV with Satelite box powered also. It seam that 10Amps is enough to power the entertainement and charge. I accomplished this by shutting down all the breakers except the slides and converter so as not to overload the generator with hot water tank or other plugged accessories.

We are going to a Ballon festival next week and we have to rough it for one week with no connected power to charge the batteries.

jdfishing

Thanks for all the great info. I'm still confused on two issues however. (1) Should I be concerned in using a pure sine wave vs an inexpensive inverter to power my TV? (2) Could I wire a 1000w inverter to my batteries and simply plug in my trailers main power cord, using a 30amp to 110 pigtail, to it to provide power to the whole trailer? I am not interested in running high amp items from the inverter, just the small stuff.

fljlcw

yes you can plug in your trailer to the inverter but it will run your batteries down much quicker such as your converter I wouldnt advise it