Next question. Black water tank valve.

GOTTOYS

At the end of my maiden voyage I went to dump my tanks. I checked to see that all the valves were still closed before I removed the cap to hook up the hose. I had noticed that my handle for the black tank drain had been sticking out more than the others. I noticed this just after I took delivery after the PDI. I figured it was just the linkage was out of adjustment and would get it taken care of when I brought it in for service. Pushed on it some more to be sure and it wouldn't go in any farther. I removed the cap and was greeted with ...you don't want to know. After I finished dumping the valve then went all the way in like the others. I have since purchased a twist on valve to put on the end of the pipe to use as a secondary valve that I can see is properly closed. Should I leave this in place all the time or remove it when I am done emptying the tanks? My dealer hasn't heard the last of this one...:mad::mad:

jimtoo

Hi Don,

I have an extra valve on mine,,,this unit and the one before...never have had a problem with it... I put mine on where the handle, when your looking at it is at the 2 o'clock position when looking at it and it has never become loose... I can see that if it was in the 10-11 o'clock position it might vibrate loose and fall off. I would not be without mine. It is on all the time.

Jim M

Northern Virginia
I added an extra valve for the exact reason you mentioned. Lots and lots of people on this forum have added one too. Seems like a combination of residual liquid in the pipes and a little leaking past the primary valve will give you a nasty splash. The only thing I wish I had done differently is get one with a clear connector so when you are flushing, you can see when it is rinsing clear. Like this one:
NTP_11-0342.jpg

Oh yea, one last thing, my valve handles, gray 1, gray 2 and black are all at slightly different positions when closed. The top handle is back the furthest then the middle is out slightly more and the bottom is out even slightly more. I thought it was designed that way.
John

Geo

I had the same surprise but mine was not from the valve, it was from the black water drain pipe being level & not tilted down to the sewer hose hookup. After emptying all the tanks I found there was some stuff left in the long run of the black water tank drain pipe, after closing every thing up & driving down the road it would all go down to the hose hook up area & then next time you open the cap then there was the surprise .
What I did was lower the drain hose hook up area so all the drain pipes would drain out when hose is hooked up at the dump area. I hope this helps
George

GOTTOYS

I'll look into that as well George thanks. I have a new twist on valve that I'm going to install right behind the cap. Almost tempted to get the necessary parts and glue it in permanently. Those are the kinds of surprises I don't need! Don

GOTTOYS

After reading several threads about similar problems..why doesn't the factory just add a secondary valve at the end of the pipe to use as a backup and eliminate this problem?

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I have fought this problem with all the RVs we have owned with anywhere from a small amount of leakage to a moderate (?) amount with really no success. What I've been doing for some time is; put on disposable rubber gloves, get the bucket reserved for this purpose, carefully remove the cap and drain leakage into the bucket and then pour the contents down the sewer hole and rinse out the bucket then clean the bucket . Connect the sewer hose and dispose of the rubber gloves and sanitize my hands and finish the hook-up.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
After reading several threads about similar problems..why doesn't the factory just add a secondary valve at the end of the pipe to use as a backup and eliminate this problem?

Could be that leaving that added valve shut and exposed to outside below freezing temps will end up with a cracked valve or piping. All my valves are exposed so I had to insulate and heat tape all the exposed pipes and valves.

GOTTOYS

[Could be that leaving that added valve shut and exposed to outside below freezing temps will end up with a cracked valve or piping. All my valves are exposed so I had to insulate and heat tape all the exposed pipes and valves]

I can't see how leaving that valve in place and closed would be any different than leaving the cap in place....

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
[Could be that leaving that added valve shut and exposed to outside below freezing temps will end up with a cracked valve or piping. All my valves are exposed so I had to insulate and heat tape all the exposed pipes and valves]

I can't see how leaving that valve in place and closed would be any different than leaving the cap in place....

The differance is the factory (leaking) valve is protected up inside the heated RV.