Dodge Mega 2500 vs 3500?

funlabs

We currently tow our Sundance XLT 287RL with a Tundra Crew Cab which has a large rear seat for our two labs. We're considering a puppy and thinking about what else the future might hold...like a Big Horn or Big Country.
We've looked at the Dodge Mega Cab and it seems to be just what we need. For what we have, the 2500 is certainly powerful enough, but I have heard that the turning ratio is better on the 3500. I don't know if that's true or not. Is it an issue? Are there any other things that make one better than the other?
I love this board. There's so much information out here and so many people willing to be helpful. Thanks!

sgtbigb

I have had both the Dodge 2500 Mega Cab and currently have the 3500 Mega Cab, Not too much difference in price. So I would go for the 3500 Dodge Mega SWD unless you are a full timer, if so the DWR would be best!

branson4020

Icantre Member
I love my 3500 MegaCab. We travelled with three dogs for a couple of years and it was great. I'll probably keep it a long time. I don't think the turning radius on my truck is all that great. It's a truck, you get used to it. I wouldn't make that a big factor in your decision. The only downside to the MegaCab as a 5th wheel hauler is that the payload capacity is lower than Ford or GM and the dually isn't rated any higher than the SRW.

Last edited:

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I also prefer the 1 ton. I have a quad cab/srw and our small dogs have the whole back seat.
Dodge is making a full size crew cab this year, which looks pretty awesome. If I upgrade mine, I will go to the 1 ton crew,long bed(no slider hitch required) dually,Cummins.
Don't even think about flipping a u-turn in it though. That thing is long.

GOTTOYS

The new Ram 2500 and 3500 are exactly the same truck. The ONLY difference is the rear spring pack. They have the same axles, tires, chassis, brakes, tires and so on, The diesel is standard equipment on the 3500 and optional on the 2500. With the same equipment on each the price for the 3500 is only a couple hundred more than a 2500 if that. The Mega Cab versions have a somewhat limited load capacity compared to the standard crew cab models. I think you would find plenty of room in the new crew cab version for less money. I would buy the 3500 if I was to it again. It's interesting how these false rumors ie: longer turning radius get started...Don

PUG

Pug
I have an 09 3500 Mega, short box, Dually, Laramie. Best truck I have ever owned. I pull a 3950 which is about as heavy as it gets loaded with a street bike and a four wheeler. If you are going to get a larger trl go to the dually. Safer having the four tires back there than two and it is much more stable. It doesn't take much dto get used to the wider truck. Just run over a couple of curbs and you have learned it. I have a tool box with extra fuel tank under it in the short box. The cyclone with the curved front end and offset fifth wheel hookup gives me adequate turning room. The short box vs the long makes it a little easier to get around in parking lots etc. The engine is bullet proof, the tranny works much like a GM auto and is great. I have added a backup camera, running boards, extra guages (pyro, trans, and boost), CB, TST tire sensor system for truck and fifth wheel, mud flaps, extra fuel tank. We pull about 3 to 4 K a year not being full timers.

sgtbigb

The turning radius in my 2010 Dodge 3500 SWD mega cab is a great deal better than the 2007 Dodge 2500 Mega cab that I traded. I mean aleast 50% better.
I love my 3500 MegaCab. We travelled with three dogs for a couple of years and it was great. I'll probably keep it a long time. I don't think the turning radius on my truck is all that great. It's a truck, you get used to it. I wouldn't make that a big factor in your decision. The only downside to the MegaCab as a 5th wheel hauler is that the payload capacity is lower than Ford or GM and the dually isn't rated any higher than the SRW.

funlabs

Thanks all for your quick and positive replies. I saw a post about the turning radius on a Ram forum. I asked here because I knew I'd get a good answer from people who actually have the truck and tow with it. I wasn't disappointed! I'll check out the crew cab, but I like the fact that the Mega back seat folds flat. Makes for a LOT of room, but I haven't seen the crew and it may work just as well. You are all so positive about your trucks that I'm anxious to have one in my driveway. Thanks!

hoefler

The new crew cab is 10" longer than the quad cab. The back seat has more leg room than my Tahoe has. I need the 8' box, I can make just about any turn the Mega can, and don't have to worry about creaming my cab.

Moose

I don't think the 3500 has the TPMS. At least they didn't in 2008.

I love my MC. I would look at the Crew Cab long box as they are much bigger back seating space than the older Quad Cabs.